AP Discount vs. Stay More, Save More

johnvree

DIS Veteran
We are staying 5 nights on USO property. The SMSM rate is a big savings off of the rack rate.
Question: Should I still buy an AP to get an AP discount? I guess what I'm asking is whether you can get an AP discount off of the SMSM rate, or only the rack rate?

It's one or the other. A lot of the time the SMSM rate is better for us as we usually stay a week or more. APH rate will not be stacked on top of the SMSM rate.

You can't stack up discounts

But you can book smsm and IF an APH rate is released and comes off better than the smsm, you can call loews to have your rate modified to APH,
You can book the APH rate'even without having the AP yet. As long as you show a valid AP during your stay, you're good

But you need to book through loews or universal to be able to modify the rate

What typically is the savings for an AP rate. 10%, 20%, 30%? Just wondering. Thanks

There is no typical discount
It will vary depending on the dates of stay

Sometimes only some room categories will be discounted
For example you could get a pool view for slightly less than a rack rate standard view, but no standard view, so sometimes it won't save you much money, but allow you to get an upgrade for free if you see what I mean. Sometimes you'll get 30% off a standard

In the end it varies.

But consider that for stays longer than 5 nigjts, APH very rarely beats SMSM

i've had my preferred ap since 2002 and booked many stays with it and they were rates you couldn't beat.

then changes started to happen.

3rd party vendors were getting great discount deals.
book with them and you didn't need the ap at the darkside for a reasonable room rate.

now smsm came out to include the general public.
i'm guessing that the last 3-4 years, i have booked with that rate.
my long stays are about 2 weeks.
with using the smsm rate, i'm getting the best rate possible.

discounts using smsm begin at 3 night stays.
higher discount as you add more nights to the stay.
7 nights or more is the greatest discount, it beats orbitz and ap for the time period i book.

booking dates can have different discounts.
always check orbitz, ap, smsm, aaa, mil, etc to see which offers the best for you.
its all flexible based on your dates and type of room, hotel, you want.

you can go back and search on the forum for Date/Rate thread.
there is a current one for 2016 and threads for 2015 and 2014.

it can give you an idea of hotel rates with the discounts of those that posted.
hth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter