AP discount verus TiW

lt90

Mouseketeer
Can someone please help me?! We are having an escape package and thus get the AP's. Ive read that the AP can give you about 10% of meal purchases within disney. Now should we just use our AP's to get discount on food or should we get the TiW card aswell! We wont be able to come back within the year so itll only be for a fourteen day trip but we will eat at least 1 table service meal a day and were not overly big drinkers, maybe one drink in the evening!! Is the TiW card worth it? Would we actually save a good amount? Should we just use AP?

TIA :goodvibes

The AP discount is valid at fewer restaurants and mostly just during lunch. If you think you'll be having mostly sit down dinners, then I'd go with TIW. It will pay itself off quickly. Also you can't use the AP discount on alcohol. The 20% off alcohol makes it worth it on its own IMO.

I remember reading that the TIW card break even point was somewhere in the $300 range, $350 maybe? So if you will spend that much in table service meals on your trip the card will pay for itself. If you spend any more then the card will save you money. IME table service meals tend to be $80 or so for 2 people (with a alcoholic drink) so if you have 4 or more TS meals then the card pays for itself.

Also, if you plan on eating at Victoria and Alberts - the TIW will especially pay for itself quickly. I honestly think the TIW discount is worth it over the AP, since (as PP stated) there are fewer restaurants you are able to use the AP discount and they are predominantly during lunch hours. Or the AP discount that always cracks me up is Wolfgang Puck at DTD - you get 20% off at lunch, or get the same meal during dinner (when they charge usually $5 more per entree) and only get 10% off! Lol. I vote for TIW!

Whoops - also forgot to say that if you are eating at least 1 TS per day for 14 days, it should pay for itself. I found that I saved at least $12 per meal... since if DH and I eat at a buffet restaraunt its about $60 on the low end. So $12 savings x 14 meals = $168.... and the TIW is only $75. I hope this helps!

Oh my goodness - This thread is so helpful!

DF and I don't want to activate our passes until our Wedding/Honeymoon trip in October, he wants that magical time to be his first trip into the parks... but we will be in Florida the end of June for our planning session.

We have many other things planned for the end of June, but we will be staying on property and will need to look into dining options.

TIW is only for those with an active AP, correct?

Is there anything we might be able to do as far as a dining plan when we arrive for our planning trip?

Thank you!

I'm pretty sure that anyone can buy TIW but if you are a passholder you get a discount on buying it.

Yes at any ticket window, when DH and I checked in to the YC for our wedding we headed down to the International Gateway and got our TiW card and our APs.

You could also look into the Disney Dining plan for annual pass holders. That is what we are doing. It's booked into your package the way any of the dining plans are, and all you will put out while on vacation is gratuities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter