AP discount questions

danielle_lynn

Earning My Ears
Is it worth buying one member of your party a AP in order to recieve the discounted room rates?

We are planning on attending the week AFTER Thanksgiving and staying at POR, but if we can get discounted rooms at WL or AKL that would be comparable to what we had planned w/o a discount a POR then I would definately consider it!

Do you have to purchase an adult AP (or is there even a child's one?) to get the discounts??

Do you have to wait for codes, or do you get a room discount all the time?

Thanks!
Danielle

You don't have to purchase an adult AP - you can purchase just one for your child if you wish. Only one person in the party on the reservation needs to have the AP to be eligible for the discount. You can't always get the AP discount though, the codes have to be out and eligible for when you will be checking in and Disney has to have the discounted rooms available. They will tell you when you call to book if they have any available.

Originally posted by Scoootch
You don't have to purchase an adult AP - you can purchase just one for your child if you wish.

Oh, that is awesome !! I was planning on buying one for myself to try & get AP resort rates. But, if I can buy a child's for my ds & save some money, that will be perfect!

Thanks, Scoootch!

What do you say when you call - that you have a pass? I heard that you can wait to buy your pass until closer to departure. Is there a id number or anything that you have to give?
-Wendy

When you call to book ask if they have any rooms available with the AP discount -- if you already know the discount code you can even be more specific and say "I'm looking to see if there is any availibility at the WL (or which ever resort you're looking to stay in) with Code BCG for check-in date MAY 5 thru MAY 12" (for example). And they'll simply let you know if they have any rooms available with the AP code for that time;) If you don't know the specific code though just say "I'm looking to see if there is any availibility for WL (or wherever ) for your dates with the AP discount. Simple as that. You don't need an I.d. # or anything but you will need to have your AP to show when you check in. You don't need to actually buy the AP until you arrive in FL, you can buy one at any guest relations window at any of the parks once you arrive but you'll need to buy it before you check in to show at the front desk as proof you are eliglible for the discount so you may want to buy one either online at the official Disney site or at a Disney store just for convenience sake. You can find the discount codes btw at www.mousesavers.com

HTH's:wave:

Would you recommend booking the room you want before AP rates actually come out then asking for the AP rate?

I don't think you can use a child's AP, the room has to be booked in the name of the passholder and that has to be an adult. I would call Disney to be sure.

The person paying for the room (making the ressie) does not have to be the AP holder. Yes, it can definitely be a child's AP. My sister has done this many times ... verified it with Disney, and showed them her dd's AP at check-in.

As someone else said, though, having the AP doesn't guarantee you an AP rate for your stay. It's a lovely thing called a waiting game for the AP codes to come out :rolleyes:

Mary Liz

Originally posted by maryliz
The person paying for the room (making the ressie) does not have to be the AP holder. Yes, it can definitely be a child's AP. My sister has done this many times ... verified it with Disney, and showed them her dd's AP at check-in.

As someone else said, though, having the AP doesn't guarantee you an AP rate for your stay. It's a lovely thing called a waiting game for the AP codes to come out :rolleyes:

Mary Liz

It is my understanding that yes - this is the case with the AP holder -- it can be your childs. As long as one person staying in the room has an AP to show at check in you are eligible.

And yes also having the AP does not automatically get you the discount -- You must book with the discount code to receive it. So you need to ask for it when you book and they will book you with the discount code IF they have rooms with the code available.

As for should you book before the discount code comes out, you can do this and if and when a code comes out you can call back and ask them to apply the code. Again though, they will only be able to apply the code if they have the rooms available. Meaning, a code could come out and you may have courtyard view at WL booked for example and the code may only be for Standard view. So it may mean to get the discount you'd need to change your ressie -- sometimes though it could also just be that what you've booked is available and they'll just apply the discount. Either way though, you would need to call to ask them to apply the discount code when it comes available -- they will not do this automatically. It is not a problem for them to add the code if available and adjust your rate though. So yes, I'd book now and hope for the code to come out. I've actually done this for my stay at POR-R (I still like to call it Dixie Landings). I'm hoping for a code for Oct.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter