• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AP discount for GCH in December?

Kauinohea

Mouseketeer
We visit Disneyland at Christmas everyother year. We normally stay at PPH, but this year we are planning on staying at GCH. I made the reservations and paid deposit today.:scared: I am having to remind myself thru the day not to think about the crazy hotel bill, lol!

I am wondering if it makes sense to purchase an AP to get discounts on the rooms and meals (we will have 8 nights at GCH). Is the AP discount always 10% off in December or does it fluctuate?

I used the Disneyland web site all year to check for various AP hotel discounts since we got our passes last August. I found the discount varied and was often not offered on nights. In fact, in the 11 months of our AP which included 4 visits I never had our dates line up with when we could use an AP discount for on site hotels. We did take advantage of the HoJo's 30% AP discount during those times and brought the cost of the 2 bedroom/2bath kids suite down to ~$200/night. If we were able to call and always get a 10% off discount on any night then I should have done that! I just assumed the Disneyland site under Annual Passses hotel link was what I needed to find AP rates. Our passes expire next month so if we ever do stay on site again it will be via some sort of package or special event rate like Dapper Day's (which really sounds interesting/fun to me).

I called Disney reservations today and was told that they discontinued all room discounts such as AP or AAA. She said to just watch the site for specials that are open to everyone.

I called Disney reservations today and was told that they discontinued all room discounts such as AP or AAA. She said to just watch the site for specials that are open to everyone.

That is so disappointing. :sad2: And it makes me glad that I don't have a "Disney bubble" addiction. I'm perfectly happy staying off-site.

You know what's funny is that I have heard several (more so, at least 5) cast members tell me conflicting information about this. For some reason, I can't access the AP portion of my Disney log in. I tried over many emails and calls with Disney IT department to fix it, but they told me basically there is no way to fix it. I told them it's frustrating because it's the easiest method to check AP room discounts. Some of them told me it didn't matter because they discontinued these rates as of 1/1/15. However, when I talked to other cast members, they said that is not true and just to call. I ended up skipping staying at the Aulani because they told me no AP discounts were available. After I booked a rental, another cast member told me that's not true and I could get the AP discount there (for May 2015). Frustrating.

You know what's funny is that I have heard several (more so, at least 5) cast members tell me conflicting information about this. For some reason, I can't access the AP portion of my Disney log in. I tried over many emails and calls with Disney IT department to fix it, but they told me basically there is no way to fix it. I told them it's frustrating because it's the easiest method to check AP room discounts. Some of them told me it didn't matter because they discontinued these rates as of 1/1/15. However, when I talked to other cast members, they said that is not true and just to call. I ended up skipping staying at the Aulani because they told me no AP discounts were available. After I booked a rental, another cast member told me that's not true and I could get the AP discount there (for May 2015). Frustrating.

Definitely not true that AP DLR hotel discounts ended 1/1/15. We stayed at GCH the first week of January with a very good passholder rate and then again at DLH the end of May using a passholder rate. So while the AP discounts have been less of a discount and more sporadic, they have still offered them this year. Hopefully it's just a 60th Anniversary thing.

Also I've checked AP discounts at Aulani several times over the last few months and they have consistently been available. Unfortunately, that was misguided info you received as well. Bummer.

We booked a trip for this coming November (before Thanksgiving) at Aulani who has a promo going for off season. The promo was these same discount as the AP rate and in fact, booking through Costco instead of using the AP rate was cheaper as the Costco rate included a $200 store gift card + a super cheap car rental rate. (< $200/week). Had they offered a true AP discount better than what I could get elsewhere we would have seriously considered renewing one of our passes.

We stayed at GCH at the end of May with a pass holder rate.

It's very frustrating how much misinformation gets passed on to guests by CMs. They need to be given better training.

We stayed at GCH at the end of May with a pass holder rate.

It's very frustrating how much misinformation gets passed on to guests by CMs. They need to be given better training.

Was the pass holder rate the 10% or a specific posted rate. There probably won't be a specific pass holder rate when we go Christmas thru New Year, but would upgrade to to AP for 10%

We got 25%. I didn't know there was a discount available, because I can't access the passholder part of the website. There is some glitch they can't fix. Anyway, I think calling is the best way to go. If you ask them, the CM can look around and find the best rates for you.

We got 25%. I didn't know there was a discount available, because I can't access the passholder part of the website. There is some glitch they can't fix. Anyway, I think calling is the best way to go. If you ask them, the CM can look around and find the best rates for you.

I'm not glad it's happening to you, but I am glad that I finally hear of someone else experiencing this. After all those calls/emails with their IT department, they assured me I wasn't the only one and while it wasn't a widespread problem, it was definitely happening to others. I haven't been able to access it since renewing my pass back in November.

@lorijohnhill I don't know if it's because we talked about it and put it out in the universe or what, but I randomly got a call from Disney IT today about them fixing the AP connection when logged in. They called and asked if I was by a computer, so I checked with them on the phone and my account/AP connection is now in full working order. I was able to see discounts, room rates, everything. You might want to give your account a look, maybe they fixed it for everyone ;)

@lorijohnhill I don't know if it's because we talked about it and put it out in the universe or what, but I randomly got a call from Disney IT today about them fixing the AP connection when logged in. They called and asked if I was by a computer, so I checked with them on the phone and my account/AP connection is now in full working order. I was able to see discounts, room rates, everything. You might want to give your account a look, maybe they fixed it for everyone ;)
Woohoo! It works now! Maybe we should have talked about it sooner. Lol

Woohoo! It works now! Maybe we should have talked about it sooner. Lol

I know!! I thought it was hilarious that it bothered me since January/February when they tried to help me and couldn't, but then I say it out loud to someone else who gets it and boom, fixed!

Now let's talk about how my husband just doesn't get that I need to go to Disneyland like every month. Maybe that can be fixed too :sad:

I know!! I thought it was hilarious that it bothered me since January/February when they tried to help me and couldn't, but then I say it out loud to someone else who gets it and boom, fixed!

Now let's talk about how my husband just doesn't get that I need to go to Disneyland like every month. Maybe that can be fixed too :sad:
No kidding!

Yes, I also need a pretty regular Disney fix, but my husband is ok with that. The one that isn't ok with it is my bank account. Now, if we could fix that problem, I'd be all set!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter