AoA or AK Villas?

DisneyBliss7

''Ohana means family''
We have a room booked at AoA but I have been thinking about switching to AK Villas. I know AoA is new so not a ton of people have stayed there but which would you prefer? And what type of pool does AoA have? Do they have a waterslide there? Thanks:):)

No water slid at AoA but their pool still looks cool.

Personally I would pick AKV. But I'm biased cause it's one of our home resorts and it's become our favorite place to stay. Even though AoA have suits, you still cannot compare a deluxe resort/1 bedroom villa to a value suite. Are you planning on staying in a 1 bedroom or studio at AKV?

The pool at AKV Jambo is great but the one at the Kidani section is even better! Plus AKV has 3 restaurants.

I just saw the amount and ages of your kids. I think you should stick with AoA. The sleeping situation will be better for your family there. The 11 & 8 year olds can sleep in the sleeper sofa, the two 5 year olds can sleep on that pull down wall bed and your 1 year old can go in a pack n play in the bedroom with you and your DH. If you get a 1 bedroom at AKV in the Kidani section you will not have enough beds. There is a king bed, a pull out sleeper and a pull out chair sleeping 5 comfortably. Unless you don't mind having a kid or two sleeping in your bed with you & DH. The full kitchen and washer/dryer might be worth it to you to have a kid sleep in your bed ;)

I noticed you mentioned a 1 bedroom...Would they allow us to stay in a one bedroom? We would be fine sleeping in a one bedroom, I know there is less sleeping space but I didn't think they would let us...The two bedroom villas puts us about $500 over what we wanted to spend but if AK is that much better then a value we may spend the money.

I noticed you mentioned a 1 bedroom...Would they allow us to stay in a one bedroom? We would be fine sleeping in a one bedroom, I know there is less sleeping space but I didn't think they would let us...The two bedroom villas puts us about $500 over what we wanted to spend but if AK is that much better then a value we may spend the money.

If I'm counting correclty, 5 children in your signature, then no, your family would not be able to book a 1BR. You would need a 2BR villa.

Your kids would *love* Art of Animation!
We love AKL, have not stayed in the villas, but have stayed in others. We adored the AoA Nemo suite.
Even with the cool pools and restaurants at AKL, I think AoA is designed perfectly for a family like OP's.
The suite sleeping set up would be a perfect fit as described by a pp.
At AoA you have the 3 pools, huge spray park playground and the Lion King boneyard.
A lot of great ammenities a step above other value resorts~ with a deluxe feel to it in a whimsical way.
Pure magic through a child's eye! (and a grown up kid's too...;))

Though the 1 bedroom villa at Kidani village was awesome, huge and had a full kitchen with dishwasher and everything and a master bath almost as big as some of the value rooms:rotfl2: (ok, im exaggerating), I believe the maximum occupancy is 5, plus one infant. So you'd have to go with a 2 bedroom, which is much more expensive than the family suite at AoA. I am very excited about staying there in 2 weeks, it looks like such a fun place for kids! Which theme did you pick? We are staying in the Nemo Suite for 3 nights (though I was sure my son would pick Cars, he picked Nemo) before switching to BCV and then finally AKV (though a studio) for the rest of the trip! With large family though, the cost difference is likely to be a lot between the family suite vs. a 2 bedroom villa. You do get a full kitchen and even a washer/dryer in unit but you have to decide if the extra cost is worth it... AoA looks great though and I cant wait to try it out, even though we are only 3 people we didnt think twice about trying it out for the 1st 3 nights of trip.

Hi OP. Only you can look at that $500 and your budget and decide if it is worth it to change resorts. I would look at your children and their preferences. Are they animal lovers or is the theme of the AoA suite more their thing. How much time do you spend at the pool. I haven't stayed at AoA yet (but plan to since I have a huge Nemo lover) but I have stayed at Kidani in a 2 bedroom.

The pool at Kidani is fantastic. It's appropriate for all of your children with a great area for the baby and some good things for the older kids in the play area. The waterside is great and there is also a small slide that your youngest may be able to do (not sure if you have a 13 month old or a 23 month old one year old). Of course as a pp has mentioned, the outstanding master bath with the huge jacuzzi and walk in shower is great too. The full kitchen and washer and dryer are wonderful. But the room is huge (over 1100 sq feet) so are you ok with having your children sleeping in the second bedroom in a hotel? It is on the opposite side as the master. It's much bigger than the suite. The 3 full baths are great too.

For the negative about Kidani, there is no counter service. That is at Jambo house which I found to be a negative. Its about a 15 minute walk or you can take Any bus other that a downtown Disney bus to get there. If you really like the idea of the villa Jambo house also has some 2 bedroom units (but not nearly as many as Kidani).

I think it is hard to compare the two resorts..

AOA is a value while AKV is a deluxe... Yes it is more $$$ but you are staying Deluxe.

While AOA might be new it will not have the amenities of a Deluxe (otherwise how else will Disney get us Deluxers to spend our hard earned money???)

I personally feel the amenities in Deluxe are worth it and make for a much more relaxing vacation.

I was happy at POP but after being in MODS and Deluxes I would not go back if I could afford otherwise.

I agree with the previous two posters.

Which theme do you think you and your kids will prefer? If it is AoA, the cost savings make it a no brainer. If, however, you prefer the AKL enough to justify the price difference, I say go for it.

Like the PP, I would always go for a deluxe over a value/mod if budget allowed. The ambiance, amenities and restaurants at AKL are fantastic. I have yet to visit AoA, but it appears to be much more whimsical and "in your face" like the other values. Fun for kids, but maybe not as big of a hit with adults as the more toned down deluxes are.

Again, tastes differ-- choose what looks like the better deal to you! But I would personally scrimp on other things to make up for that $500 difference staying in a 2BR at AKL. Have fun whatever you decide!

You might also take into consideration the amount of money you could save by having cereal or waffles in the villa before you head out. This adds up over a stay. You said it would cost $500 more, but saving $250 approximately on food and drinks cuts that additional cost in half.

On top of that the kids have much more room to run around!

I'm sorry, the previous posters are right. You won't be able to book the 1 bedroom.

Everyone has really valid points. It's so hard to compare a value to a deluxe. It depends on your families preference, animals or a new resort with over the top themeing. The money you would save on breakfast and snacks in the 2 bedroom might bring the difference to only $250. In that case I would go for the 2 bedroom. How long are you going and how many park days do you have planned? If you are using the room as just a place to sleep with no planned down time at the resort then I would be inclined to advise to just keep the AoA ressie.

Stick with AoA - soon enough you will have to be in a 2brm villa or book 2 rooms (my sister does that and has Mom's room and Dad's room!). Your kids are at the age where they will love everything no matter where you stay and you and your spouse can't really enjoy what the deluxe resorts have to offer yet. We stayed in mods for our first two trips and then moved up to BC last time. We are staying in a 2brd at AKV with our two teen DDs next week and we can all enjoy the all the things that the deluxe resorts have to offer. Enjoy AoA and take lots of pics so you can remember how much fun you all had at such a reasonable price :)

So much great info, I really appreciate it:) What type of kitchen is there in the AoA family suite? From my understanding there is a microwave, sink, and mini fridge...We are getting the DDP Plus and we are eating breakfast in our room every morning. We go through a lot of milk and I was planning on getting some groceries for the week through Garden Grocer, milk,drinks,snacks,etc...How much could I fit in a fridge from AoA? Like OP mentioned if I have to buy breakfast out of pocket each day it will add up fast...I also love the idea of having a washer/dryer, we could pack sooo much lighter. If we fly I'd save money on our luggage or if we end up driving we'd save room in the van!

I would say its a little bigger than a dorm size frig. It will hold plenty of milk (milk in the gift shops is reasonably priced btw, a little more than you would pay at a regular grocery).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter