AoA - Is the walk really that LONG?

Momof2girls1920

Earning My Ears
We are booked to stayed in AoA LM for our August trip. We could upgrade to a moderate for an extra few hundred BUT my two daughters who are 5 and 2.5 LOVE Ariel and have been eyeing this resort up since we returned from our last trip. We figured do it now while they are little and will love it and then next time stay where we usually stay (POFQ). Approximately how long is "the walk" from LM to the food/main lobby?

It's definitely longer than you're used to at POFQ, but it's not bad. It's a five minute we-have-a-bus-to-catch sprint and ten minute leisurely stroll (accounting for heat lag and little legs wanting to pause and enjoy each section). They're going to love it; it's such a cute resort for kids!

If my kids loved Ariel, I wouldn't hesitate to stay in a LM room.

If you really want to know distance, this is what I do: go to google earth, and do the 'walking' directions between a spot you click on at a LM building and, say, the food court entrance. Then, find the same distance you are used to walking at home - perhaps between your house and the kids elementary school? I know it will probably be way hotter and your feet tired from the parks at WDW, but at least it helps me gauge the true distance.

Remember that the walk between AoA food court (and thus bus stop - its through that building, although you can go around directly to LK area) and LM buildings is interesting: the Lion King section is themed really well on the exterior/walk ways.

HTH!

The big problem with the walk is that it passes through hot and sunny bare spots with no trees, no landscaping, no decorations. Distance-wise, it's not THAT far (though farther than what I'd consider convenient), but psychologically it just seems to take forever. I think LM rooms are fine once, but I wouldn't stay there again.

It's definitely longer than you're used to at POFQ, but it's not bad. It's a five minute we-have-a-bus-to-catch sprint and ten minute leisurely stroll (accounting for heat lag and little legs wanting to pause and enjoy each section). They're going to love it; it's such a cute resort for kids!

And there you have it.....'...little legs wanting to pause and enjoy each section'. Except for about a 90 sec, maybe 2 min, walk, there is a lot for kids to stop and look at. Heck even I like to stop!!!
It is most certainly under 10 mins from the furthest bldg in the LM section to the food court....it usually took me about 7 mins, without rushing. I had much longer walks at POR, BWV, Kidani and the Dolphin!!!

Not something you want to do in August. :crazy2:

Definitely a 10 minute walk from building number eight.

YES. THIS. I am a runner and I found it to be a *HIKE*. Made the refillable mugs downright laughable. A 20 min round trip to get a beverage. Granted, I was walking with other folks and I wasn't exactly stretching my legs and walking for pace, but it was way farther than I want to spend on vacation. YMMV.

We stayed in a suite there last fall and walked all over the resort. For me, since I love walking and enjoy the resort, the walk from LM to the food court was a piece of cake. I enjoyed it. For my mom, who has hip and knee issues, it looked like a mountain to climb. I would not want to stay in a LM with her, but for me, it would be no problem. It all depends on your perspective. You also have to consider the fact that you will have two small children. It is not a big deal if you are just heading out the parks and you have your stroller and all things packed and it is not raining. However, if you have to go back and forth between your room and the food court multiple times, or if your kids are really tired but hungry and you all have to get to the food court, or if it is raining and you are trying to manage two young kids and a stroller, it can seem like a chore (but then again, most Disney value and moderate resorts can have a similar issue, depending on room location).

I think for most healthy, mobile people, the LM rooms are a great place to stay. Great value for the money and beautifully themed. Perfect for kids.

Thanks for this thread. We are staying at AOA for the first time this September in the LM rooms and was wondering the same thing. Five minutes does not sound so bad.

Thanks for this thread. We are staying at AOA for the first time this September in the LM rooms and was wondering the same thing. Five minutes does not sound so bad.
I think five minutes is an underestimation. I think it's closer to ten minutes at a regular pace, from the furthest building.

We were there last August, and a CM told me that during the busiest parts of the summer, they set up a drink refill at the Mermaid Pool. We were there right after it (supposedly) stopped, so we didnt see it. Maybe someone else can verify, but that would have made the refillable mugs MUCH more convenient.

I stayed at LM last year. I loved it!! and you will too. The only downside is that the rooms are never discounted and, they lock the pools at 10 or 11 pm, not great for me as I like to swim late at night.
AS FOR THE distance, I'm 57 and I found it tiring, sometimes, after a long day at the parks. I stayed at CSR and love the walk from the Ranchos buildings to the main building but I was only 50 then-LOL! At POR two years ago we stayed at Alligator Bayou and I found that was no problem.
I should add that I go to parks very early and keep on the go all day. When a bus for Pop showed up before AoA I took it and walked over from Pop, very enjoyable but quite far! And a lot of the walk is in the open as PP have said.
Having said all that I would be very happy to stay at AoA-LM again in a heartbeat, if only they discounted those rooms. The theming is amazing, seriously!! You can visit all of the other areas. The Lion King play areas are so cute. And Cars area is like being in the movie!! The QS food area has real cooked food that I found to be great - lots of real veg and meat, not just hamburgers, pizzas etc.
PS Wireless doesn't work in some of the rooms because of the building structure. I found out after about two days of thinking I had lost my cell service. I finally called Disney IT and they told me to go out on the balconys. I was in Bldg 7 facing the pool. YOU will not regret staying here.
LM2 (1).jpg LM2 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Not something you want to do in August. :crazy2:

YES. THIS. I am a runner and I found it to be a *HIKE*. Made the refillable mugs downright laughable. A 20 min round trip to get a beverage. Granted, I was walking with other folks and I wasn't exactly stretching my legs and walking for pace, but it was way farther than I want to spend on vacation. YMMV.

I have to ask....where do people stay that have no walks to the rooms? I'm not trying to be snarky here, really I'm not, but I just don't get it. I had a longer walk to my room at AllStar Music.....and I have to say, late at nights, I was a bit nervous. Never felt that at AoA.
I mean, seriously, you just spent an entire day, walking around in the parks, in the heat and humidity. Sure, it would be nice to get off the bus and walk into your a/c'd room, without having to walk more than 30 steps. But, that isn't happening. Almost all the resorts have longish walks to rooms. Sure, some are inside cool resorts....but you're paying a premium for that luxury. And...it can easily be a 10+ min walk from the bus to your room at a deluxe!!
Yes, the walk to the LM section is pretty much out in the open, not a lot of overheard cover to keep the hot sun off you. But, it's not that long!!! Even if it took me 10 mins, and it never has, to get to my LM room, it's just not that big a deal. I seldom buy mugs anymore. They don't hold that much. It's a pain to get them refilled unless I'm already at the food court. I can buy a lot of soda for that amount of money. Just leave the soda in the fridge in the room. I don't walk back to any food court just to refill a mug!!

So yes, we can all agree that it is a longish walk out in the elements. But, I guess it's all about perspective as to what 'long' means. I'm 65, 66 is staring at me! I have no issue walking to the LM rooms. If someone has an issue with mobility, they are going to have an issue with most of the walks to rooms, everywhere. I have never, ever had a room that allowed me to get to it, from the bus/food area, in under 10 mins...anywhere. Sometimes the walk is outside and sometimes it's inside. It's all about what you want to pay for.

I have to ask....where do people stay that have no walks to the rooms? I'm not trying to be snarky here, really I'm not, but I just don't get it.

I've stayed preferred ground floor at Pop in the 60's twice now......literally a 15-30 second walk to the food court and cheaper then a LM room. We also love POFQ building 4 or 5.....some rooms just a few steps from the food court. We alternate between Pop and POFQ. We use our refillable mugs a lot. :goodvibes

We've also stayed at Music twice. A preferred room there will get you pretty close to food and buses and again cheaper then a LM room.

Last edited:
I have to ask....where do people stay that have no walks to the rooms?

When I was a kid we always stayed at the Contemporary and it was nice. You get off the monorail, take the escalator down to the 4th floor, hop on an elevator. Get out of elevator and walk about 10 feet....maybe 20. :D

When I stayed at the Poly I was surprised. The first few days we were in the Tuvalu building. At the end of the day it seemed like such a long walk. In the morning, it did not. I guess it is all perspective. There are some walks that are shorter than others, but I bet that in general those are the pricier rooms. If you're on a budget, expect to walk. It's what you've done all day anyway.

The walk is closer to 10 minutes. My kids and I did not mind it, however DH said never again. I am a coffee drinker and must admit that I would not pay to have a mug because of the distance. We had a financial setback after making the reservation so it was a bit of a budget trip for us. We brought big bottles of soda for the room. I never thought of bring a coffee maker.

I would stay there again but plan on bringing soda for the room. Walking to the FC was not worth it.

I have to ask....where do people stay that have no walks to the rooms? I'm not trying to be snarky here, really I'm not, but I just don't get it.

All Star Sports this past October. We were the back side of the very first building next to the food court. 3 minute walk at most. POFQ I was in building #4. Less than a minute walk.

I walk all day long at work, so I'm not anti-walking. However, when the food court is far enough away that your refillable mug is empty by the time you walk back to your room, imho that is too far. And after walking all day in the parks the last thing I want is to spend another 20 minutes walking to getting a pop or a muffin.

Sometimes it's not about the actual minutes or distance, but it's more about the circumstances and mindset.

We once stayed in CBR pirate room....at first it was a lovely walk to the drink station -- cute things to see along the way, etc. However, after a few days of this, it was no longer cute to me (lol) and it became tedious and tiresome, especially with young children. My DH is a strong walker, but the morning that he had to "quickly" go to the food court, get breakfast and carry it on a tray back to our room was the day he said CBR pirate room was not working out very well for us. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter