Anything needed for 1 parent to take children on a cruise?

brat5063

Mouseketeer
I am going through a divorce. We had our cruise planned before everything went wrong and I have decided that the kids and I still need to go. I was wondering if anyone knew what documentation if any I needed to take the children on the cruise solo?

Currently the DCL cruise reservation and my airfare are in my married name. I am undecided if I want to change my name back to my maiden name. I'm expecting our divorce to be final about 2 months before our cruise date.

TIA

With all due respect, take everything you hear on here with a pinch of salt, and consult your TA, or if you have booked your cruise direct, call DCL and ask them, then call DCL again and ask them a second time.
Get the CM's names.
Also I would ask your lawyer about the implications of how you divorce may work out in regards to custody, and taking your children away.

Sorry your having to go through this horrible time, and hope it all work's out well and amicable.

Ex Techie :)

I would wait until after the Cruise to change your name, especially since the kids have your married name, the less confusion the better.

This is a link to the Disney site with all Cruise info which includes Documents list etc
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faqs/preparing-for-your-cruise/

If you still need confirmation of anything then phone or email Disney services to get them to send an email with all the items of Documentation needed.

Hope this Helps and have a great Cruise with your Kids. :surfweb::santa:

I don't know what DCL's written rule is but I am widowed and just cruised with my 3 kids last week. I wasn't asked for anything.

You will not need any paperwork for the kids. They are your children so DCL will not need proof or any paperwork. As for changing your name, what name is your travel docs in. I would keep it the same until your cruise unless you have enough time to change everything. Hope that helps.

Generally, you will need a notarized letter from the other parent stating that you have permission to take them. I would include in the letter the name of the ship, the dates of travel, and all ports it stops in as well as where it leaves from. You very well may not need this, but it is technically a required document. So if they ask for it, you would need to be able to produce it. Better to have it and not need it, than be turned away because you don't have it.

As for changing your name, what name is your travel docs in. I would keep it the same until your cruise unless you have enough time to change everything.

"Currently the DCL cruise reservation and my airfare are in my married name. I am undecided if I want to change my name back to my maiden name."

Ex Techie :)

Generally, you will need a notarized letter from the other parent stating that you have permission to take them. I would include in the letter the name of the ship, the dates of travel, and all ports it stops in as well as where it leaves from. You very well may not need this, but it is technically a required document. So if they ask for it, you would need to be able to produce it. Better to have it and not need it, than be turned away because you don't have it.

This is good advice for any time a non-custodial person travels with a minor internationally. My mother and I often travel with my nephew, and we have signed letters from both his mother and my brother just in case (they're divorced, relationship is amicable all the way around, my nephew frequently travels out of state with each of them as well as with my mother and my husband and I). I think our letter usually states name of minor, name of guardian(s), dates, countries planned on visiting. We don't take a letter for domestic travel.

We started it the first time we went to Canada, they can ask for it at any customs when you go into or out of the country. (I think we found that out on the U.S. passport website when we went to get his passport). We've never been asked for it, and you probably won't be since going on a Disney cruise isn't the way most people would abscond with non-custodial children, but its a good idea anyways.

ITA!! I travel quite a bit with my just my children while DH remains at home. I have always carried this type of letter with me especially since I use my maiden name hyphenated with my married name and the kids do not. I was only asked to produce the letter once and that was passport control in Munich while traveling to Barcelona with my eldest DD.

I would think it would even be more important in the event of a divorce that you have some form of documentation showing that the kids' father knows and has given you permission to travel with them.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise. :)

There is a difference between what is required and what is "best practice." That is a large part of what leads to different answers on the boards.

There is a difference between what is required and what is "best practice." That is a large part of what leads to different answers on the boards.

Yes, there is a difference. If you look at the us passport website, you will see that technically, you will need a notarized letter when a child is traveling with only one parent. From my own experience, they almost never ask for it. But if they decided to, you would be unable to take the vacation without the proper documentation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter