• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anything in Nassau worth leaving the comfy ship?

Genie-In-Training

Mouseketeer
We've always stayed on the ship when it docks in Nassau. It just never appealed to us. We have a cruise on the Magic later this month and I'm beginning to wonder if we're missing out. Are there any shore excursions that knocked your socks off? I'm starting to consider the idea of not being a stick in the mud on this trip. :) Thank you.

We've been there 3 times on Disney cruises. We got off the first trip and not the last 2. If we were going back, we would stay on the ship again. Paradise Island would be the only exception. I've heard that would be a good stop.

We have gotten off once in Nassau! Out of like 6 trips, we usually enjoy the quiet pool area on board. This time, it was my husband and myself and we had a blast! We walked to the Pirate's Museum and then took a cab to eat at a great place. Then had to take a bus back. The Pirate's Museum was great, it's almost a Pirates of the Caribbean type experience and pretty educational too. The shopping area that you can get maps to onboard is very nice and safe. The straw market area is not bad but it is what it is and you have to expect to be approached and haggled.

We got off the ship and back on with in the hour. My kids were not comfortable with the aggressive sales people. when we go back we will stay on the ship.

Knocked our socks off ? Nope.

Glad we did it the once but also won't do it again ? Yep. Atlantis Aquaventure. Blue Lagoon beach day.

Well, the not-so-lazy lazy river at Atlantis nearly blew the hat and glasses off ! :-)

SW

Anybody been to Señor Frog's in Nassau? We were thinking of hitting that when we go, but I don't know,.... With the kids and all.

Been to Nassau with DCL several times over the years and always get off the ship there if nothing more than to walk down Bay Street (main drag) and stretch our legs.

Two tours we've found enjoyable, and I think kids would enjoy as well, are the Nassau Harbor Tour and the Greycliff Hotel Chocolate Factory Tour. Have done
both of these tours twice!

We have gotten off the ship twice, the other times we stayed on board.
We did Blue Lagoon once, which was nice. Then we did Atlantis one time, it was a yucky day, windy, cloudy and chilly so no water just walking around the property and there was a lunch included that was just terrible. We did enjoy the aquarium.

Now we stay on board and just enjoy the ship.
Have fun.

If you like snorkelling I guess the tours going there on a boat would be good!
I would not really recommend venturing there on your own as as soon as you go outside the immediate tourist streets it becomes obvious there is not much to accommodate. We passed a ministry (agriculture I think) that looked totally derelict. I guess that what happens when you don't pay taxes...

We have gotten off once in Nassau! Out of like 6 trips, we usually enjoy the quiet pool area on board. This time, it was my husband and myself and we had a blast! We walked to the Pirate's Museum and then took a cab to eat at a great place. Then had to take a bus back. The Pirate's Museum was great, it's almost a Pirates of the Caribbean type experience and pretty educational too. The shopping area that you can get maps to onboard is very nice and safe. The straw market area is not bad but it is what it is and you have to expect to be approached and haggled.

I like your advice. Nassau is our least favorite port in the Caribbean or Mexico. Having said that, though, something has to be our least favorite! We really enjoy Atlantis, for example. As for the shopping area, the map they give out is nothing but paid advertising, pretty useless. But the Pirate Museum is great fun (been there several times, we always go when someone new is cruising with us). The straw market has lost some of its charm with the new modern building, but I guess it's really for the better. It's filled with junk (not made in the Bahamas), but we delight in talking with the salesladies working there - classic Bahama Mamas. Sure, they are pushy and excellent sales people, but if you just resolve that you're going to see the place rather than buy something, you can have a good time looking, talking, and listening to their wonderful spiels. And probably many people prefer the bright lighting and wider aisles as much better than the crowded, noisy tent market they used to have.

Several nice restaurants. We don't go to Hard Rock (or Señor Frogs for that matter), we go to new ports to experience the local culture and cuisine, not the silly international chains of food or diamonds.

When you first get off the ship there is a gauntlet of taxi and tour salesmen, hair braiders, horse carriages, etc. A simple no thanks and continue walking works wonders. They have thousands of other visitors getting of the ships behind you, so if you show zero interest they quickly vanish. Walking around the shops and streets near this ship, where the throngs of other tourists are walking, is colorful and interesting. We're pretty tired of it, especially after seeing some fantastic ports elsewhere, but for your first time, doesn't hurt to look around. Enjoy!

Anybody been to Señor Frog's in Nassau? We were thinking of hitting that when we go, but I don't know,.... With the kids and all.

In my opinion that's the only reason to get off the ship. Although, probably not the most kid friendly place. I'm sure there are quiet times at Señor Frogs but the two times I've gone it's been a party atmosphere.

Got off the Big Red Boat years ago and a quick trip with DD's HS Concert Band. That was enough for me. Prefer staying aboard the ship now. There is a Señor Frogs in Orlando and you can buy the rum cakes online.

We love Atlantis Aquaventure!! Have gone through Comfort Suites to get a room twice now. We also did Blue Lagoon sea lion encounter which was a good day.

Lots of people like Atlantis for the day.

As for me, I got off once for local shopping and a t-shirt / hat - whatever. Once I had that, I was done.

DH and I went but we left our kids on the ship in the kids club. Though some people take their kids, I don't think it's a good place for them. While we were there it was packed and they were playing loud and very adult themed games throughout. It was fun for us, but we would have had a lot of explaining to do with kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter