anyones young teens use white strips?

gemjoy

<font color=deeppink>Beware the Cruise Shampoo!<br
I'm thinking about letting my 13 year old ds try crest white strips... he has very healthy teeth.. no cavities. But he had braces and since they've come off - his teeth don't look as white. He's even asked me about them. Anyone have information to share? :confused3 He has a permanant retainer, but it's behind his bottom front teeth so this shouldn't be a problem. TIA!!!:goodvibes
I'm sure it would be $expensive$ to have the dentist whiten them...

I don't recall there being an age limit on the package...

Have you tried some other whitening products first? Toothpaste, floss, mouthwash etc.

I don't recall there being an age limit on the package...

Have you tried some other whitening products first? Toothpaste, floss, mouthwash etc.

We currently use whitening toothpaste. It seems like I read some negative reviews of the whitening mouthwash?:confused3 My sister uses the white strips and her teeth look amazing! I haven't looked on the package to see if there is an age limit - just thought someone might know. Thanks:)

I checked my package and it says "not recommended for children under 12"

I just bought a new pack, got a great deal at Amazon for $18 (reg $50)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.h...185282462&sr=8-3&tag=frugal0f-20&linkCode=ur2

Thanks Crazoo:thumbsup2
He's *just* 13 - so I would think it would be fine:confused3 Have you had any issues with it? Like sensativity or irritation? Also if you don't mind me asking - were you happy with the results and how long do they last? Thanks again!!! And great deal from Amazon - I'll try it.:)

My dentist told me not to whiten DD's teeth until she is 16. She also told me not to let her use the whitening toothpaste. I would check with your dentist.

If you are not sure about the whitening strips you could always do what I have done my entire life... I take pure baking soda and brush my teeth with it... I then follow up and brush my teeth with regular toothpaste. You can even mix the baking soda with a drop of water and make a paste out of it and apply to teeth and leave on for a few minutes... my parents started me doing this when I was young and my teeth have always been very white...people always ask me how I keep them that way!:goodvibes The baking soda tastes a bit funny but it really does work over time and has no harmful effects.

Thanks Crazoo:thumbsup2
He's *just* 13 - so I would think it would be fine:confused3 Have you had any issues with it? Like sensativity or irritation? Also if you don't mind me asking - were you happy with the results and how long do they last? Thanks again!!! And great deal from Amazon - I'll try it.:)

Nope, no issues at all.. it just doesn't smell very good and there's a slight hint of a bad taste.

I'm happy with the results, even after using 1 strip (you use 2 a day) I took them off and I was like "Wow, they really do work". Results last quite awhile, the package advertises 1 year, but I drink coffee every day :surfweb:

I allow my DD (just turning 12 this month) to use them periodically for over a year now. No problems.... dentist didn't object. I personally have used them for a few years now (regularly just to start.... sporatically now to keep them white) and have had no problems. Dentist always comments on how great my teeth look.

BTW, DH bought the "PREMIUM" Crest Whitestrips at the Dentist's office (spent way too much $$.... wish he had talked to me first). Anyhow, they really irritated his mouth and he had to stop using the. I have no problem using them myself. So maybe start with the regular OTC strips.... you have to use them longer, but they are probably less irritating. If you are at all in doubt, call your dentist...................P

I allow my DD (just turning 12 this month) to use them periodically for over a year now. No problems.... dentist didn't object. I personally have used them for a few years now (regularly just to start.... sporatically now to keep them white) and have had no problems. Dentist always comments on how great my teeth look.

Thanks pjilla!! I think I'll let him try them.:)

My dentist told me not to whiten DD's teeth until she is 16. She also told me not to let her use the whitening toothpaste. I would check with your dentist.

My dd15 wanted to whiten her teeth after her braces were taken off and our dentist said she doesn't usually bleach kids until 16 - but, because dd's teeth were so stained, she agreed. We went with custom made bleaching trays because they keep the bleaching material off the gums (as much as possible). Total cost was $199.

I purchased the premium Crest strips from a previous dentist for $75 and used 1/2 of them before I simply couldn't stand the pain anymore caused by the bleaching. Tooth shocks, gums were tender, etc. But, my teeth were whiter. I've never been able to use the rest because the memory of the pain is still too fresh - 2 years later.:scared1:

Regardless of what you choose, ACT flouride rinse is recommended by dd's dentist to help with sensitivity issues caused from whitening.

Arm & Hammer toothpaste works great - but, so will dipping a toothbrush in plain baking soda. Unfortunately, baking soda (and whitening toothpaste) is abrasive and if one brushes "hard" or uses a hard/medium bristle toothbrush, it is possible to brush away enamel and cause grooves in your teeth. Same problem occurs with Sensodyne (any "sensitive" teeth toothpaste). I speak from personal experience and from what dentists have told me over the years.

This is a bit "OT" but, since we are talking about teeth, I want to warn parents with kids who have braces or are going to get them about what some orthodontists do to make space for a perfect smile. My dd saw 4 orthodontists before all was said and done and the braces came off. The last one (young & fresh out of school) said he could file off the sides of dd's teeth to make them fit better. I was SHOCKED! He told me it is "quite common practice to file the sides of teeth."

I'd had a military dentist do this to one side of one of my front teeth years ago and I've had nerve sensitivity with this tooth ever since. I didn't know what the dentist was doing would screw up my tooth forever or I'd stopped him in his tracks! I can't imagine an orthodontist would recommmend this to make a perfect smile. DD was only about 6mos from completion and I had already signed a contract with the guy - otherwise, we would have found somebody else. I went with her to every visit and I sat in the room to observe what he did. I wanted to ensure he did no filing. Please don't allow this to be done to your kids' teeth.

I purchased the premium Crest strips from a previous dentist for $75 and used 1/2 of them before I simply couldn't stand the pain anymore caused by the bleaching. Tooth shocks, gums were tender, etc. But, my teeth were whiter. I've never been able to use the rest because the memory of the pain is still too fresh - 2 years later.:scared1:

The link I posted had a great review and explanation of the different packages... if the premium ones are hurting your teeth, you should try the Classic ones..

"Now comes the confusing part: Crest White Strips come in 4 different packages, each a bit different than the others. The main difference is in the strength of the hydrogen peroxide, and the price. The higher the dose of hydrogen peroxide, the most costly the product package. Here are the 4 packages: 1. Crest White Strips Classic (6% hydrogen peroxide, 14-day treatment). 2. Crest White Strips Premium (10% hydrogen peroxide, 7-day treatment). 3. Crest White Strips Premium Plus (10% hydrogen peroxide, and has 12 additional strips). 4. Crest White Strips Renewal (9.5% hydrogen peroxide). The cheapest method (at around 25 dollars, is the Crest Classic Whitestrips, but it takes 2 weeks to complete the treatment). Premium and Premium Pro are both 10% peroxide formulations, work in 7-10 days, and the "Premuim-Plus" gives you 12 additional strips. I am not sure why Crest recently came out with "Renewal", as it is a 9.5% hydrogen peroxide formulation which is not significantly different from the 10% concentration. Leave it to the manufacturer to confuse the consumer!"

I think I would probably wait till he is a little older. But if he is determined to bleach, I would check with my dentist to make sure it is ok. But if you do decide to bleach, just follow the package directions closely and do not over do it. Sensitivity can occur with excessive bleaching, whether it be the strips, toothpaste or rinse. The strenght of the bleaching agent in OTC is not as strong as you would get from a dental office. I would begin bleaching slowly at first, to make sure he does not develop sensitivity. If sensitivity occurs most dental or orthodontic offices offer a topical fluoride gel (for at home use), similar to toothpaste, that works great on sensitive teeth. Also ACT sells an OTC fluoride rinse that works pretty good.

Does he have clear acrylic ortho retainers? If so many of our patients purchase our professional strenght bleach and use it in the retainers, in fact that is what I do.

Also, please do not use abrasive toothpaste! It can wear away the enamel.

DD (14) got her braces off in Feb and her teeth were also discolored. I asked both her dentist and orthodontist and neither had any objections to her using the whitestrips. She used them for about a month and although her teeth aren't pearly white, they are definately better. She never complained of any pain from the strips, just that she didn't like the aftertaste.

Go for it!!! My DD 13 uses them all the time. She wanted her teeth whitened professionally because she has a stain on the one front tooth. Her pediatric dentist recommened the White Strips first and if that didnt work then he would bleach them for her. I really didnt want to spend the money on the professional whitening so I opt for the White Strips and they work great, she couldnt be more happier. I use them as well... highly recommended!:cool1:

My dd is using them currently for the same reason the OP stated. She has some mild staining from her braces. Our dentist recommended the Premium whitestrips but said to just do it once a day (instead of 2x). If my dd has any sensitivity issues, we are supposed to just skip a day.

I say go for it! :thumbsup2

:goodvibes ThAnKs everyone!!!!:goodvibes
I told DH about all the comments I received here and he agrees that we should let DS try the white stips. DS and DD are in NYC this week with their aunt & uncle - but I'm going buy a package while he's away so that he can try them when he gets home:thumbsup2
I think he'll be happier with white teeth:jumping1:
I'll let everyone know how it goes... hey, maybe I'll try it too!!! I'm a coffee drinking fool:coffee:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter