Anyone with stroller as wheelchair experience

disney-akj

DIS Veteran
When we go to Disney World over spring break we will be using my DS5 stroller as a wheel chair. I have two questions regarding this.

#1- Since he will be able to transfer himself from stroller to rides easily with assistance, and does not have to stay in it during the ride, will they allow us to leave his stroller where the rides are unloaded/loaded. We just bought a VERY expensive :scared1: stroller for larger children so I am a little concerned about this :goodvibes

#2- Will they require us to fold up the stroller for certain rides? I only ask this because he requires us to pack a lot of stuff (diapers, food, wipes, etc.) and I can not imagine unloading the stroller everytime we needed to ride something (I of course would remove valuables before leaving it anywhere).

Thanks in advance! I just want to know what to be prepared for, we have been to Disneyworld before. This is just our first time with our DS :goodvibes

I do not have experience with a stroller as a wheelchair, but I can answer both of your questions.

1) using a stroller as a wheelchair means it gets handled like a wheelchair does for attractions. You can take it right up to the boarding area and leave it there while you are in the ride car. If the boarding area is in he same place as the unload area, when you are done, it will be very close to where you left it.
If the unload area is somewhere else, it will be brought there.

I can think of 3 exceptions.
Tomorrowland Transit Authority, where wheelchairs need to be left 'downstairs' and the way up to the ride is a steep moving ramp.
Spaceship Earth, where there is a handicapped waiting area outside of the loading area and they ask anyone who can walk into the boating area to leave their mobility device there.
Pirates of the Caribbean, where they ask guests to use an attraction wheelchair if possible because getting personal wheelchairs from the boarding to unload area is difficult. If this is a problem for you, they will let you bring it - you may just have to wait a few minutes.
For shows, you can bring it into the theater and sit it next to you, but he will probably need to have him get out and sit on your lap or next to you for him to be able to see.

2) You will not need to fold the stroller for any attractions.
Unless your stroller was designed with a transport option to safely use in a bus or car, you will need to fold it for the bus.
Buses have tiedown straps for securing wheelchairs and ECVs in the bus. The drivers will tie down strollers if you ask them to - or some just assume you want to keep your child in if you are using it as a wheelchair.

But, it is not safe to do that unless it is designed for transport, with strengthened frame parts and specifically marked points to attach the tiedowns straps. I do know of 2 situatiOns where the stroller frame got bent just from tying it down. One figured something was wrong because they noticed the stroller was pushing funny. The other didn't figure it out until they had to fold the stroller to go home.

When we go to Disney World over spring break we will be using my DS5 stroller as a wheel chair. I have two questions regarding this.

#1- Since he will be able to transfer himself from stroller to rides easily with assistance, and does not have to stay in it during the ride, will they allow us to leave his stroller where the rides are unloaded/loaded. We just bought a VERY expensive :scared1: stroller for larger children so I am a little concerned about this :goodvibes

#2- Will they require us to fold up the stroller for certain rides? I only ask this because he requires us to pack a lot of stuff (diapers, food, wipes, etc.) and I can not imagine unloading the stroller everytime we needed to ride something (I of course would remove valuables before leaving it anywhere).

Thanks in advance! I just want to know what to be prepared for, we have been to Disneyworld before. This is just our first time with our DS :goodvibes

We've used the stroller as a wheelchair for my daughter (almost 8) for the last 4 years. Like your son, she is able to transfer out of the stroller and on to the ride seat on her own or with minimal assisstance. Other than the couple rides that Sue mentioned, we've always been able to leave the stroller with her backback at the entrance to the ride. Sometimes the entrance we use is the exit; sometimes the cast members move the stroller from the entrance to the exit while we're on the ride, but we've never had a problem using the stroller as a wheelchair for her. It's always been waiting for us as we got off the ride.

Catherine

We use a stroller as a wheel chair every time we go. As was already posted, the only ride that I can think of where your stroller would be in the general stroller area is POC. For that ride we always get to keep my son in his stroller untill we board the ride and then when we get off we have to go outside to the stroller parking area to get it back. I can not think of any other ride like this. All the others that we do keep the stroller in the boarding areas or move it to the unloading area.

My daughter, age 8, uses a Maclaren Major Elite stroller as a wheelchair and I confirm everything that was said by the previous posters. She too is able to transfer. :thumbsup2 Enjoy your trip!!!!

I use the stroller as a wheelchair for my 5 year old daughter with down syndrome. She walks fine but has decreased stamina. Basically we just push the stroller through the line and they move it to the exit so it's right there when we get off the ride. It's wonderful. I fold it up for the buses, so I make sure all our stuff will fit in a backpack. I use a wrist leash to keep her with me because it takes two hands to fold. then she sits beside me on the bus.

I use the stroller as a wheelchair for my 5 year old daughter with down syndrome. She walks fine but has decreased stamina. Basically we just push the stroller through the line and they move it to the exit so it's right there when we get off the ride. It's wonderful. I fold it up for the buses, so I make sure all our stuff will fit in a backpack. I use a wrist leash to keep her with me because it takes two hands to fold. then she sits beside me on the bus.

Do you have a good source for a wrist leash? My DD (with autism) elopes without warning. Not sure if she will tolerate something on her wrist though. We keep her in the stroller, strapped in, while in crowded areas and she too has decreased stamina. It also gives her and defined space that is all hers. She has personal space issues.

Do you have a good source for a wrist leash? My DD (with autism) elopes without warning. Not sure if she will tolerate something on her wrist though. We keep her in the stroller, strapped in, while in crowded areas and she too has decreased stamina. It also gives her and defined space that is all hers. She has personal space issues.
besides a wrist least, you might be interested in GPS locators.
Orlando Stroller Rentals rents those as well as strollers.
http://osr.sentrygpsid.com/

Don't know if it works well with a girls wardrobe, but when DS was little I used to just put his belt on with the buckle in the back (escape artist!) and hook a 6ft dog leash to it (in the back). I liked that it didn't pull his arm and he could get out of his stroller and move around without tugging on his arm or shoulders like those backpack leashes. It was quick to release when we did not need it. stroller straps could never hold him down usually ended up hooking the stroller straps to the back of his belt as well, but if he escaped at least we had the leash to his waist. Thank goodness those days are over!

I just use a cheapy one from walmart. The only time I used was when I was folding the stroller. And thats just because I needed two hands to do it. Otherwise she sat in the stroller or held my hand.

Thanks so much for the information everyone. We will be driving to the parks too, so we don't have to mess with the bus.

I just use a cheapy one from walmart. The only time I used was when I was folding the stroller. And thats just because I needed two hands to do it. Otherwise she sat in the stroller or held my hand.

That would be the only time we would use it, when we needed to be hands free for any reason. She is 8 so I don't want to restrict her too much. Most of time she doesn't run off but it only takes one time.

My son transferred out of his adaptive stroller/wheelchair for every ride on our last trip... although there were a few that he would have been better positioned and safer had he stayed in it but I digress (live and learn right). I agree with everything Sue said... and even those 3 rides I felt perfectly comfortable leaving our $5000 stroller with the CMs... they were awesome about it and very helpful.

We did use our stroller for transportation on the buses (it has tie downs) only for safety. My son can't sit up well enough in a regular bus seat because of low tone not to mention his lack of safety awareness. He's just better off strapped into his stroller for bus rides so we leave him there. Its not like the stroller folds up small anyway... lol!

The only place that we had issues having to fold it up was resort boats... we learned to avoid those ;)

That would be the only time we would use it, when we needed to be hands free for any reason. She is 8 so I don't want to restrict her too much. Most of time she doesn't run off but it only takes one time.

Lily's getting better about not running off too. Sometimes I even let her walk beside me when we are out and about. But "I" get easily distracted at Disney World and she could get under the ropes and into the road too quickly for me to get her. My next big dilemma is what our new stroller should be. She rarely uses one anymore, but I know we'll occasionally need one. I don't know that I'm ready for a special needs stroller. They're so expensive and the look big online. She's 40 pounds and 42 inches tall. She technically still fits in the maclaren quest,but it looks kind of tight. I was thinking about getting a maclaren techno xlr. Any suggestions?

Oh also, if I don't want to use the wrist leash and I just need two hands for a second, I have her sit down on the ground or on something low. It takes her a little longer to get up off the ground due to low tone so I have time to remind her to stay with me. Or I have time to drop what I'm doing and go get her. :goodvibes

Lily's getting better about not running off too. Sometimes I even let her walk beside me when we are out and about. But "I" get easily distracted at Disney World and she could get under the ropes and into the road too quickly for me to get her. My next big dilemma is what our new stroller should be. She rarely uses one anymore, but I know we'll occasionally need one. I don't know that I'm ready for a special needs stroller. They're so expensive and the look big online. She's 40 pounds and 42 inches tall. She technically still fits in the maclaren quest,but it looks kind of tight. I was thinking about getting a maclaren techno xlr. Any suggestions?

You might want to look in post 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread. There are some companies that rent special needs strollers in the WDW area. Renting one would be a good way to try it put and see what you like or don't like.

I don't know that I'm ready for a special needs stroller.

Honestly, my suggestion would be to make the jump to special needs if you think this is something she'll need for more then the next year. I was so glad when I finally did. He's so much more comfortable and it will last so much longer. Our insurance paid for ours ... it was coded as a "pediatric wheelchair". There are SEVERAL out on the market but if you daughter doesn't need much positioning-wise then I'd recommend looking at the Convaid Cruiser since its lightweight and folds up small. http://www.convaid.com/convaid-cruiser-wheelchair.html (look at the brochure for the new one... not the classic)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter