Anyone with experienced in Grand Gatherings?

jamhayward

Earning My Ears
We just booked our next visit through DVC this morning, and we are planning to do a Grand Gatherings this time. When we asked to do the Grand Gatherings, it took the gentleman forever, he put us on hold and when he came back, told me he couldnt find the form to do it and I would have to call back. Has anyone had any experiences like this? Anything tips?

We're a group of 11 this summer, I tried to call GG directly but they can't see DVC reservations so it has to be done through MS. Called MS and while they were able to find "the form", once completed they told me someone would call mw back with the GG # "in a few weeks". Huh? I've already passed the 180-day window for ADR's and just made them directly through the regular WDW-DINE.

When they told you to call back, did you call back right away? I don't understand if it was just that one CM who couldn't find the form or if all of MS was out of them. You should try again soon and just speak to a different CM.

Are you planning to do some of the GG events? Maybe once MS has done the paperwork, you could call GG and tell them your group # is pending. We are not planning any of the special events, I just thought it might make some of the arrangements easier. Not so I guess....

Good luck!

We're doing one in May. Some of us are staying at Poly 2 nights before checking in at BCV, so when we made those ressies, they transferred me over to GG and they were able to set up a number and do all of our dining ressies easily. The trouble came when we tried to book one of the GG experiences. GG couldn't see our DVC ressies and vice-versa, in their computers, and apparently GG needed to be able to see where we were all staying on that date in order to book it. I got the ol' pass the buck thing for quite some time. Finally, after 2 hours on the phone with one very patient and tireless CM at MS, we got it all unraveled and were able to book the event.

They gave us GG number because we had 9 people registered but since we weren't doing any of the GG things it really didn't do anything except get us a GG pin at check in or somewhere along the line. Made all our ADRs without the number so won't bother doing it again when we take a group that size.

We got a GG number for our trip last April. It took about a week to get the number, I think.
We didn't do any of the experiences, either. We got the GG number because we were told it would "guarantee" that our rooms were close together, which seemed to work, we were next door to one another at OKW.

I wrote this procedure on how DVC members can request Grand Gatherings. Please see below and let me know if there should be any changes. Thanks.

How DVC Members Can Set Up Grand Gatherings (GG's)
Hi, all! I thought that I'd post a procedure, that I basically discovered by trial and error (mostly error), on how DVC members can set up grand gatherings. I will list it as steps.

1. Think about who you want to invite and what DVC resort you want to stay in. I will assume in this procedure that your party will all be staying at your home resort. I assume this because that was the case for me. If you have a different plan, please post here with how my procedure should change.

2. Assuming that you are the 'group leader,' make sure that you get all of the names AND addresses of everybody in your party AND also get their ages. Disney needs their ages so they can put in whom in the party can officially check in. Nobody under age may do so.

3. Plan out what GG special products (GG events), if any, your group wants to experience. This step can be quite significant if you are informing others about these events. You may be dealing with people who have never been to WDW before or have not been there 'like this.' So, you may have to do a lot of explaining to them on what it's all about. You are the expert! They are not! Tell them what it's all about!

4. AS SOON AS YOU CAN, call DVC Member services (MS) at 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx to make your room reservations AND tell them that you have a GG. Give MS all of the information about your party. MS will then contact the GG folks and inform them of the upcoming GG. MS will get a magical gathering (MG) number back to you in a few days. It was only a day wait for me. Remember that number. It will be very important.

5. Call the GG people at 1-407-939-7526 to make reservations for your GG 'events' using your MG number. The Safari Celebration dinner, the International Dinner and Fireworks show, and the Good Morning Gathering can be placed on the Disney dining plan (DDP). If the DDP is not available yet for when you are going, my recommendation is to call the GG people and make the reservation BEFORE the DDP becomes available. If the DDP IS available when you want to make the GG event ressies, then skip this step ONLY for all ressies for which you want to use the dining plan and see step 7 below.

6. After the DDP becomes available, and assuming that you want to use the DDP, call MS to add the DDP and also to tell them that you will be placing one or more GG events under the DDP. At that time, MS will call the GG people and transfer you over to them. They will have to rebook the ressy, if you had one, under a new number and cancel the original ressie. If you had to go to step 6, then the original ressie was a placeholder until you could get the ressie with the meal plan. If by now you are wondering if this is all a big runaround, then my answer is yes. The GG people, like the Disney dining people, do not have access to the DVC room reservation numbers, which makes all of his a necessity.

7. Now that you are done, sit back, relax, and let Disney magic take you where you need to be.

We got a GG number for our trip last April. It took about a week to get the number, I think.
We didn't do any of the experiences, either. We got the GG number because we were told it would "guarantee" that our rooms were close together, which seemed to work, we were next door to one another at OKW.

Same here. I did 12 of us on a family reunion trip in December. We didn't do any of the experiences. Our rooms at BWV were very close together. Our ADRs worked well, too. Most places were able to put us at one big table rather than split us up. I'm not sure if the GG number helped accomplish that or not.

Great info Wildernessdad! We're planning to do one in 2010, so this will help!

I specifically asked during three different calls about what to do with
large groups and not one said anything about GG procedure.

On a different trip already booked in April I was told by at least 3 reps that I couldn't swap developers points. As a result, I borrowed unnecessarily points from 09 for 08 Christmas stay.

Oh, it gets better this genius who booked the Christmas trip left 8 points from 08 UY and borrowed rest from 09.

Luckily, I happened to get someone with a brain the last time I called and she started the process to clean up the mess and reallocate my points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter