• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone with diabetes who is pumping?

Jen_in_NH

<font color=deeppink>waffles and snow seem to go t
Hi there

I posted this on the CB, but someone recommended I try here too. My DS2 has diabetes, and we are looking at getting a pump for him. We've met with different reps, and checked out all their pumps. We're still not really sure which one to go with

Are there any pumpers here? What do you use, and do you like it? Is integrated CGMS something we should look into, or it is something you don't use as much as you thought you would? If you have a toddler with a pump, do you find it works well?

HELP!!!! :)

Jen

My DD31 started using a pump about a year or so ago and tells everyone it has changed her life. Wishes she had done it long ago. I'm not sure how it would work for a little one tho. There is a lot iof calculating to do. In fact, she was a math and accounting major in college and I'm sure that helps. The pump makes it much esier to keep her insulin on an even keel. hers is by medtronic I believe.

Jen - do you post on the CWD boards? They are at http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/index.php The parents board gets the most traffic but there is an active CGMS board there too. I am a long time poster here and there - my younger son was dx'd with type 1 when he was 26 months old and started pumping when he was still 2 yrs old (Animas) and started a CGMS this April (Navigator).

I am a HUGE pro-pump person and any of the pumps are excellent. We like Animas for the little kids cause it is the only pump that gives such small basal doses - you literally get twice the basal increments on the Animas than you do on the others. Most little kids have such small basal needs that this fine tuning can make a big difference IMHO.

Animas is rumoured to be merging with the Dexcom system at some point. We got the Navigator because at the time I started the process I really did not like the Dex (they have since come out with a updated version which I like better). The Navigator has truly changed our lives - a CGMS is wonderful. There is definitely a big learning curve though. Don't expect to stick it on and have it work great all the time right a first.;)

The Nav has the smallest sensor (the part that sticks under the skin) and goes in straight (90 degrees) rather than at an angle. I really dislike angled sets and insertions so that was a big factor for me too.

I am not at all a Minimed fan but that might be personal bias. To me the integration isn't important as with him still too young to self care I want a receiver where I can see his bgl numbers - I don't want them sent to the pump alone (cause then I have to take that out to see it).

I encourage you to check out the CWD forums if you are not there already.:thumbsup2

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I've been posting on the CWD boards too. I just thought I'd try here for the widest range of answers.

I'm trying to figure if the tubing and the pump will be possible with a 2 year old who is obessed with buttons, or whether a pod would be better. But then I like the idea of the integrated CGMS with the minimed, and the lower doses with the ping. He's only on 4 of Lantus a day now, so the lwoer dosing would be nice too. Too many decisions!!!

I was diagnosed with T1 diabetes when I was 18... started using a pump when I was 20. I'm 28 now. I've always used MiniMed pumps, nothing against the others, that's just what my doctors were most used to seeing. I do love the freedoms of the pump.

Just yesterday though, my pump malfunctioned and "froze." Had to call MiniMed for a replacement pump. Mine was still covered under warranty, and in less than 24 hours, UPS was on my door step with a replacement pump. I'm sure the other pump companies would expedite replacement issues like this as well. Glad they know these situations are urgent. Had to go back to injections while off the pump, and forgot how much I truly do appreciate the flexibility of wearing a pump. :)

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter