• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone.. Where to get free music for ipods?

Thanks for the heads up on the Limewire. Quite a long time ago I asked about music downloads and Limewire was recommended. Didn't even remember about this till reading this thread. I don't think I ever found the song I was looking for so
I don't believe I downloaded anything but I am now searching my files to get it off my computer!! And yup there it is! Thanks again! I wonder what other junk I have on my computer... I generally am careful about what I down load too

i-tunes has a free section. scroll down to the bottom of the home page, & there is a section that says "free on itunes" not many choices, but updated a few times a week. i got tons of free Christmas songs this way. Also, Amazon has a free MP3 section.

i-tunes has a free section. scroll down to the bottom of the home page, & there is a section that says "free on itunes" not many choices, but updated a few times a week. i got tons of free Christmas songs this way. Also, Amazon has a free MP3 section.

I was going to mention this too. There are always a couple of free songs on Itunes...which are usually from new or up and coming artists. However, during the Christmas season there were several Christmas songs from popular artists that we got for free. Keep checking it. You never know what you may like.

I'm another fan of the library. They have lots of CD's there. I guess you rip them if you were so inclined, my DS is 4 so we stich to the Wiggles and such - trust me after having the CD for 3 weeks, I don't want to keep it!

You might try mp3fiesta.com. The songs on there are only $0.20 each. I've never had any trouble putting them on my iPod and DH used it while he was in Iraq without trouble.

I found mp3shake.com to be a pretty good site. Songs are generally twenty five cents a download. The quality is pretty good too.

You might try mp3fiesta.com. The songs on there are only $0.20 each. I've never had any trouble putting them on my iPod and DH used it while he was in Iraq without trouble.

I really hate being the music grinch in this thread, but both mp3shake and mp3fiesta are of dubious legality at best. Both are based out of Russia. Russia and the United States do NOT have reciprocal copyright laws. The RIAA believes that the sites are not legal since the artists (and the lawyers) are not getting a cut of any of the money. Now if the RIAA decides to sue you my guess is that a judge will feel more sorry for you than someone that just pirated for free. Just wanted to let you know that not only are you probably breaking the law but you are paying money for the privilege.

Border's I believe does!

Who knows more about this? They have computers at Borders that the kids can go in and use??? I'm clueless here but for someone who has a work laptop that doesn't allow downloading I need a way to get music on the kids ipods w/o having to always ask people to do it for us. Thanks

Who knows more about this? They have computers at Borders that the kids can go in and use??? I'm clueless here but for someone who has a work laptop that doesn't allow downloading I need a way to get music on the kids ipods w/o having to always ask people to do it for us. Thanks

I believe the free downloads from Borders is little coupons that allow you to enter a code for a free download online. They don't have computers set up to allow you to put music on your iPod at the store.

You really should get a computer for your personal use, even if it is just to run iTunes. You should be able to pick up a computer that will meet the minimum system requirements of iTunes for next to nothing. And when I mean next to nothing, I mean less than $50.00.

You don't NEED iTunes to load music onto an iPod. You can do it with WinAmp, MediaMonkey, and a few other options. Be warned if you do that, and then try to use iTunes it may format your iPod as it knows they weren't loaded via iTunes. If you do load music with iTunes, I believe that you can only associate an iPod with so many computers. So asking friends and neighbors will run into issues.

If you have a real iPod, then I need to second the idea of buying your own pc for it. You can get a second hand desktop very cheaply, the only real requirement is enough hard drive space to store all the music. If you have a Sensa, or some other MP3 player then you should be able to copy over music with no additional software as windows will recognize it like an other USB based storage.

Beyond that, finding legit free music is fairly easy. As long as your tastes aren't mainstream label driven pop. Most smaller bands have a few MP3's for free on their website. iTunes and Amazon both offer free downloads on a regular basis, and as a PP said, Starbucks has a free track each week. If your kids want the latest HSM soundtrack, you are probably outta luck with that for free.

Limwire, and other P2P programs are not illegal in themselves. They have a perfectly legit use, and many indie acts will distribute songs through them to get a fan base. However, some P2P programs do have spyware/adware bundled with them, but there are many free options that do not. Check out slyck.com for reviews of various P2P programs.

Yes, spiralfrog and a few other sites offer legit downloads, however they are NOT iPod compatible, and use DRM on their tracks. That way if you don't visit the site again to view more ads, the tracks die after 30 days. The same will happen with any subscription based service like Napster or Rhapsody. Both use DRM that is not compatible with the iPod, and all the music stops playing when you stop paying them the monthly fees. So its more a rental service than a download service.

Sad to say, you know that old adage "You can't get something for nothing"? Pretty much true for downloading mainstream chart topping music. Personally I think that the RIAA is way off base with their efforts to stop the digital medium, and my views on MP3s differ than theirs, but for most people in the USA, your ISP or local law enforcement isn't really up to speed on what is really legal and what rights you have as an end user, and the RIAA with their big money, usually wins.

I haven't posted over here for some time but figured this would be the best board for this type of question...
My daughter got an ipod for Christmas and of course wants music on it that she does not already have the CD to- Where can we get some music on the internet that is for her ipod that does not require an itunes card? Also, how many songs should she be able to get w/ a $25- itunes card? Thanks for any help

Best Buy has a deal this week- buy a $25 i-tunes card (that'll get you 25 songs) and you get a free itunes album from limited selection. (instore only)

iTunes has a few free songs every week also.

Some, few but some, official band websites will sometimes offer a free MP3 on their page or MySpace page or something. Beware of fan sites though.

Game informer had a coupon with link listed on it for 25 free downloads from emusic. www.emusic.com/gameinformer. The songs are supposed to work on ipods, but the music there is supposed to be the "independent" (read unknown) artist type stuff, very few well known/top 40 artists though supposedly John Mellancamp has his albums listed available. There were limits to this too in that you had to sign up for a seven day trial membership and subscription. I didn't understand all the details. So free music with a slight catch.

We used this for a little while, it was quite easy, but you're right about the lack of popular music. We didn't mind (we're an indie family) but most people could find it annoying.

::yes:: Yes, it's 25 free downloads within a certain period of time then there is a membership fee if you don't cancel - but you get to keep your existing downloads. Sometimes I see promos for 50 free downloads. Unless you are into real oldies, classical or obscure music, it is hard even finding 25 downloads. :rolleyes:

The "music compilation" CDs are the best, as you might be able to find individual songs you want by the real artists. However, you really have to read & listen carefully to WHO is singing as most of the compilations at emusic.com aren't the real artists. :eek: You may be looking at a compilation of "Disco songs from the '80s" and find that Donna Summer isn't even singing Last Dance, but some God awful woman they brought in that doesn't even sound close to Donna Summer. :sad2:

walmart.com has a bunch of songs for $0.74. I don't know if it's just a special, or if they always have them for this price.

Okay, for those of you (like me) who grew up in the 80's and actually liked Prince :blush: you can get the whole Purple Rain album on Amazon right now for $1.99, I got an email from Amazon a few days ago telling me they had given me a $3 credit that I could use for mp3 downloads so that's what I used it for (I've never paid attention to the download section since I only use itunes but it worked like a charm).

http://www.amazon.com/Purple-Rain-E...tag=slickdeals&ie=UTF8&qid=1230569501&sr=11-1

Kinda related/kinda OT:

My son had a Sansa MP3 player. I bought him an IPOD for Xmas. Is there a way to transfer his existing music (mp3s) to the IPOD? FOr some reason I thought IPODs required mp4's so normal mp3 files would not work. Am I missing something?!

TIA!

My son had a Sansa MP3 player. I bought him an IPOD for Xmas. Is there a way to transfer his existing music (mp3s) to the IPOD? FOr some reason I thought IPODs required mp4's so normal mp3 files would not work. Am I missing something?!

ipods will play both mp3s and mp4s (apple calls them AACs).

you probably need to install itunes on your computer, though, and it will find the mp3s automatically.

Ok this is a technology challenged mom question. I am great on a computer but all those other gadgets with plugs i pretty much steer clear of and hubby handles it.

So my daughter recieved a Jonas Bros. CD for Christmas. Can it be copied legally to her ipod? We own the CD right? Whether it was a gift or not. Not sure about the laws.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter