• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone want to keep track of how much they save towards their Disney vacation?????

Hmmm....this thread has me thinking. What else do I have lying around the house that I could sell?

How much do you think I could get for a gently used husband in decent repair? He's not broken or anything......:rotfl2:

Wow! Just checked my seller accounts on Amazon.....I sold 2 items last night for a total of $73.92!!!!! :cool1:

I'm thinking that I might pop over to the dollar store for some coin rolls so that I can tally up the "Disney jar" today too.

Oh, and I made a $400 payment on my trip last night! 91 days till our trip!

Just returning from morning of hot selling at local flea market- just kids' clothes and toys, junk from around house- net profit of $125 to add to my Disney fund, and more space in my attic!!

For my next venture, I am trying some lots of my "better" kids clothes on Craig's list, per Dis board advice...wish me luck!:lovestruc

I want to join in the fun! Myself and a friend are meeting in the World in December for a second annual trip this time it will be a little diffrent because I'm moving to Kentucky this summer so its our little reunion!

ANYWAYS... we had a yard sale yesterday mostly to defray the cost of some moving expenses so everything I made yesterday will go to that however I had taken out $90 to get started with but after my friend and i had dinner out friday night and purchased some poster board i started with $77 dollars... since that money was already deducted from my checking account I'm going to add that to my disney fund... so along with the change in my savings jar (which I broke down and counted today) ($86.76) I have $163.28 ... I also transfer $25 a week from my checking account into a special savings account set up just for disney trips... I have $220 in there now since I used it for this past December's Disney trip...
And I have a chase disney visa debt card

Wow I never anticipated that being so long winded...

Jill

I'm at almost 1200 saved for Disney. That is 40% of what I wanted to save by December for our January trip. Woo hoo!

Well, it wasn't just me that saved today -- it was my 9yr old dd as well! She was having a reading program at her school, and she picked out 4 new books - and had $10 left to spend, but instead she looked at me and said:
"I've already got 4 books -- i don't need more - take your $10 back and put it in our disney savings fund" LOL I thought that was so sweet of her!!

I want to join in too!!! Planning on going March 2011 during the kids spring break. We just got back from a cruise 2 weeks ago so have to start the vacation fund over. This is what I have so far:

1. $200 That was leftover from the cruise.
2. $150 Rebate check from the State from a new dishwasher.
3. $250 From Medical Reimbursments (I have $3200 Allocated for the year - trying to use as many of the reimbursements for the trip unless something spendy comes up).
4. $100 Disney Gift Card. ( I got this from cashing in at My Points. I got a Walgreens Gift Card and used that to buy a Disney Gift Card. As soon as my points become available, I will have enough to get $150 in more Gift Cards).
5. Have a big change jar - not sure how much is in there. Probably won't cash in until closer to the trip.
6. Just signed up for the United Visa Plus Card and got 50,000 bonus miles. Had my DH sign up also and he got the same. So, hopefully by the time the miles are available I will be able to book airfare for the 4 of us for free.
7. Also, want to find some others to get Y.E.S program going and get reduced price tickets - that will save us $400.
8. Will be renting DVC points, but havn't decided on the resort yet and will be getting the dining plan.
9. Our city wide garage sale is in Mid May. This is a huge sale. People come from hours away and stay in hotels and bring trailers and stuff. It is crazy. I do alot of couponing and stock up on the free items I can get with coupons. Last year I had 2 garage sales (not even this city wide one as we didn't live here yet) and I made $2000. So, I should at least make $1000.
10. Supposed to be getting a bonus in July as we didn't get our usual bonus this past December because of the economy. So, if I get that it should be for about $1500.
11. Also, have about $160 in Disney Visa Reward Points.

So, right now. I have $600 cash. $100 Disney Gift Card and $160 Reward Points. But, if things go as they are planned should have alot of the money I need by the end of summer....

We just booked our trip for November. I'm so excited. Hotel and food won't be a problem. But I'm trying to save the money to upgrade my GAD tickets without taking money out of our regular budget. So that is going to be tricky. So far I have about $150 towards that.....

I'm considering selling some kids clothes on Craigslist, but I've never done that before. Is it worth it? Do things really sell for decent prices?

Any other ideas of things to do? I already coupon, do online surverys, mypoints, ect.

Thanks!

I now have $29 saved. But, I probably have $20+ in change that I've been collecting.

I'm a bit behind on the savings haha but hopefully by this summer I'll have a lot more.

Always wanted to do Christmas in Disney, but wonderful DH said I could go Solo this year!

• Got Disney Visa with a $40 credit on my first statement.
  • Will be getting 160 Disney Reward Dollars.
  • Got 6 mo. interest free for my WDW vacation package.
  • Just opened my Chase checking/savings account with $100 coupon (will set up my direct deposit tomorrow - requirement).
  • Will participate in a banking "Focus Group" next week for 2 hrs. to earn $150! (I finally met the requirements!)
  • Received birthday money ($200)
  • Will try to pay bills with my Disney Visa to earn more Disney Dream Reward Dollars!
  • We have a change jar that I have to count; mostly pennies though...
  • Did a Secret Shopper restaurant job; will receive $10 plus my $17 reimbursement - I'll put all $27 towards my trip.

Keep your ideas coming; they are very inspiring....:thumbsup2

I spent a little while searching for some kind of thread like this & finally found it!

I just got back from my first Disney trip a week & 3 days ago :(
I'm really wanting to go back the same time next year OR if that doesn't work out (considering Idk how well I can save up the money) I'd like to go during the Food & Wine Festival in 2012. My goal is to save at least $150 a month. I can't really afford to save a lot from what I actually make due to the fact that I'm a student paying my way through school & paying interest on student loans. However, I am a couponer & this past month alone I saved $1000 on groceries and non food items.

I'm a bit disappointed in how much I managed to save for May... BUT I only started saving when I got back from our trip, which was May 23! So for the month of May I am depositing $30.99 into our Disney fund! $11.49 from rebates & $19.50 from selling items on eBay!

I have change jar, so do the kids. told the kids I would get a Disney Card for them to get extra snacks after all is used on our dinning plan. Works well!

I'm starting to save for May 2013. Today DH brought in all of our aluminum. He got $53 but NEEDED to keep $10 of it (ugh!) so we got $43 for our Disney savings. I'm having a garage sale next weekend and will be adding most of that to our funds. I also use our Disney Visa for all of our gas & big purchases each month which usually earns us at least 10 Disney Dollars a month so that should equal out to at least $230 by the time we go. (This past trip we had $300 and it covered all of our ADR meals which was PERFECT!) I hope we can do that again!

Bah, I'll join in! This may be an older thread, but it can always be brought back, since it's always relevant! (especially in this tough economy and all...every penny helps!)

Anyways, it's been over a year since I've been on here, and I haven't gone to WDW since my last trip in June 2010. I love it with all my heart, and so does my mom for that matter, and there's one thing we both wanna do within the next couple of years....go during Christmas time.

The reason why we haven't done it in the past was a couple of key factors.

1: We both work in retail, and when you work in retail, taking off during the Christmas season to go on a vacation is a big NO-NO in their eyes, which would end up with less hours for us, and we don't want that. :rolleyes:

2: As most of you know, it's much more pricey to go to WDW during the Christmas season. Nuff' said. :rotfl:

SO, a couple of nights ago I had an ultimatum. My mom and I are DEFINITELY going to WDW during Christmas the next time we go. My goal is for Christmas season of 2012. More precisely, the beginning of December. Plenty of time to save up, right? That's what I think. :thumbsup2

The factor that changes things a bit is that we're seriously looking into moving to Georgia within the next few months. By the time we do this, my mom will have been retired, and I hopefully will be in a job that allows Christmas-vacationing. :goodvibes Either way, I am determined to go, so I'm starting to look for things to sell on ebay (which helps clear out clutter for moving too! Yay for killing two birds with one stone!!!! *sorry birds!*). I'm also finding ANY loose change and committing it to the WDW fund! Well, I'm leaving a little bit for the chance I may need a little change in my travels, but not much! LOL

So far, when I counted up all the loose change in my old purses, old collection-tins that went forgotten, and literally change that was in the couch, I had $25.44. Not a bad start! Funny thing is, my mom had practically a truckload of state quarters that she was saving to give to the grandkids as collections. Nice gesture, except for the fact that the kids (and their parents) could care less about the quarters, they weren't in mint condition at all, and there were never more than 1-2 complete quarter sets (trust me, I checked...I had to count all of them LOL), so after some convincing, she decided we could use them for the WDW fund! I was happy! I was sure it'd at least double the fund amount, so last night I went a-countin'...and the new total we have is........

$150.19

Crazy, right!? I was stoked. We are that much closer to reaching our goal (which is rounded off to about $3000 after the room, tickets, dining plan, airfare, etc). And to think, I just started saving 2 nights ago! :rotfl2::cool1:

I shall keep saving and posting! I love this thread, and I wanna see it active again!

I went last Dec. the Saturday after Thanksgiving thru Wednesday. The decorations were amazing. Not too crowded and I got the free meal plan.

I recommend the Chase Disney Visa too, especially if you can get the $200 signup bonus! Using my Tinkerbell Visa all year on all my purchases, and paying it off when I get paid twice a month (transfer $$ from my Chase checking to pay Chase Visa), I've got over 250 Disney reward points saved!

Hubby has work convention in Los Angeles next April. I'm tagging along and my Disneyland ticket is already saved!

This is great! Love the ideas. I have a trip coming up in April and would love to save more for it. I am trying out Ebay but my stuff doesnt seem to be selling. What are others selling out there on Ebay?

I went last Dec. the Saturday after Thanksgiving thru Wednesday. The decorations were amazing. Not too crowded and I got the free meal plan.

I recommend the Chase Disney Visa too, especially if you can get the $200 signup bonus! Using my Tinkerbell Visa all year on all my purchases, and paying it off when I get paid twice a month (transfer $$ from my Chase checking to pay Chase Visa), I've got over 250 Disney reward points saved!

Hubby has work convention in Los Angeles next April. I'm tagging along and my Disneyland ticket is already saved!

That's partly the reason why I wanna go so badly. Just the decorations alone would be a sight to see, I'm sure! I can only hope there's a free meal plan deal going on when I finally book. :wizard:

While I don't have the Disney Visa, I have a Chase Freedom card, which I got a $150 bonus for getting, and I get even MORE bonus points for when I shop in department stores and a couple other categories this holiday season. Just for using the card nonchalantly for a couple of months, I earned up another $10 or so in rewards, which leaves me with roughly $160 I can redeem anytime. I'm pretty sure with this holiday season coming up, I'll be earning even MORE money, which makes for a happy Stephy. :goodvibes

You know, when I actually stop to think about how to save up, I can see myself earning the money realistically within a year. I kinda like that outlook. That, and I'm determined for everyone in the household to give any spare loose change (or even bills if they feel like it) to the WDW fund! I did that a couple of year ago, I can do it again! :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter