• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone want to defend the Tomorrowland Speedway?

Those images of youthful joy require no justification. Of course the ride is dull for anyone who has had a driver's license for years. But for a 7 year old to pretend that they are a "big kid" for 5 minutes? That is priceless.

This! My two sons, now ages 10 and 12, adore the Speedway, and for my older one, finally reaching the height to drive solo was a big deal to him (the younger one will probably be tall enough this coming summer).

Also, my favorite time for this attraction is during Wishes. It's one of my favorite low-key, yet magical moments, sitting next to my younger son, seeing his joy at "driving" us around, with the beautiful firework display in the background.

Kids love it. (Most) adults are bored by it. Go early when they are no lines, as the wait can be annoying.

Disney should really convert it into some type of Cars themed ride. Would be pretty easy to do and really add to the enjoyment of it.

This is one we are debating too! My kids are 8,6 and 4 and we have two adults. No good way to do it I don't think, though they are all boys who would probably love it.

In previous years my two sons and I shared a car and asked for a rider swap flag so each one could have a turn at the wheel (I controlled the gas pedal).

Even without kids I will ride it with a short line at night. Especially during the fireworks it can be quite picturesque and magical. Of course with a long line and a super hot sunny day it is anything but!

I went to Disneyland when I was 3, 9 and 12. Then I didn't go to Disneyland or world until I was 34 when my wife and I first went to Disneyworld. I made a list of "top rides" based off of my memories. #1 was Tomorrowland Speedway and #2 was Jungle Cruise.

So, there you go. Based on my memory of my 9 year old and 12 year old trips I thought Speedway was the best.

Funny continuation of the story: so my wife and I went to Rope Drop on our first day and we ran right to the Speedway so we could beat the lines! I was so excited to be the first at the Speedway and beat all the other people to the "best ride". Then we rode it and I was like "this isn't as fun as I remember....."
Aging will do that to you. But, you hit on the point of how much younger, to young to drive, kids love it. So, "grown-up's", and I use that word loosely, stop trying to make things that are fun for kids go away. They will grow up soon enough without your help.

Based on terrible reviews (I think from Touring Plans) I've always avoided Tomorrowland Speedway. I have a 9 year old boy, however, and am wondering if we're missing out.

I don't know if you are missing out, but ride reviews are terrible, terrible things. Experiencing any kind of amusement ride is a very personal experience and can vary not only from person to person but from time to time in one's life. I used to love SM, for example, but now I've got a pinched nerve because of it (I think. My leg started tingling after I got off and hasn't consistently stopped in three years). Some adore HM, others find it hokey.

My advice would be to ride everything that might be interesting. I've avoided things in the past for review-based reasons, and now I think I've missed out on stuff. So don't -- do all you can and then for your next trip you'll know what to avoid (or not). But don't make decisions based on blog reviews -- by definition they re too subjective and undisciplined, and in all likelihood won't apply to you and your family enough to justify a priority place in your decisions.

Are you saying
In previous years my two sons and I shared a car and asked for a rider swap flag so each one could have a turn at the wheel (I controlled the gas pedal).
Are you saying that all three of you sat in the car together, and just changed drivers? Will they let two small children in a car with an adult?

Based on terrible reviews (I think from Touring Plans) I've always avoided Tomorrowland Speedway. I have a 9 year old boy, however, and am wondering if we're missing out.

Anyone a big fan? On a one-day tour, is this something that I should make time for?

My son loved it at age 9 & 10: he got to drive a car, wow! The main problem with tomorrowland is the gas fumes while you wait in line- might want to FastPass it due to that.

The other naysayers (who can't even get the appeal of such a ride) are mostly adults who go on adult-only trips to WDW, so getting to drive a car is not novel or appealing to them. It fun for a child, though.

Anyone a big fan? On a one-day tour, is this something that I should make time for?
it really is an at least give it a try once ride. I like it and both of my girls love it. I remember as a kid waiting 180minutes and my mother sitting on the bench shaking her head the entire time...go for it....

I don't know if you are missing out, but ride reviews are terrible, terrible things. Experiencing any kind of amusement ride is a very personal experience and can vary not only from person to person but from time to time in one's life. I used to love SM, for example, but now I've got a pinched nerve because of it (I think. My leg started tingling after I got off and hasn't consistently stopped in three years). Some adore HM, others find it hokey.

My advice would be to ride everything that might be interesting. I've avoided things in the past for review-based reasons, and now I think I've missed out on stuff. So don't -- do all you can and then for your next trip you'll know what to avoid (or not). But don't make decisions based on blog reviews -- by definition they re too subjective and undisciplined, and in all likelihood won't apply to you and your family enough to justify a priority place in your decisions.
You can bet that those reviews are not written by kids either.

It's not a ride we'd wait more than a few minutes for, but we have fun trying to beat each other. I always get stuck behind my son who is the sloooowest driver there and am usually laughing so hard I can't steer ;)

My kids LOVE it. From ages 4 and 6, to now ages 8 and 10, they still LOVE it. It is hysterical to me to ride with them, and pure joy as OP said. DO IT!! FP added later in day is perfect for this ride.

For those with three kids, do they offer rider swap or do you have to get back in line?

I am not a huge fan but our boys love it. We always make sure we do it once. The fumes drive me crazy!

No need to defend the speedway. Just take a look at the lines and you'll see its very popular. Take a look at the children's faces when they are driving and you'll see that its perfect for the audience.

We went when our boys were younger and had a blast because they had a blast. Now we walk past and no one even considers it. For us, it was only fun when our kids were young enough to get a thrill out of "driving". Since you can't really "race" and there is no skill involved, I doubt we will ride again until we have grandchildren.

Are you saying

Are you saying that all three of you sat in the car together, and just changed drivers? Will they let two small children in a car with an adult?

Yes, two small kids can go with one adult. You can't (officially) switch positions during the ride which makes it a great opportunity for fights but one of my DDs wasn't so keen on driving so she let her sister drive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter