Anyone use uber to go from Disney Resorts to Universal?

I use uber frequently since I work in a city and sometimes the public transit has issues. I've yet to have an issue with the morality of my drivers. I have had some incompetent drivers though (one almost got into an accident, one couldn't find us even though we had a pinpoint of where we were through the app), but I've had the exact same issues with regular taxi drivers. In fact, many of the uber drivers around here that I've had used to be taxi drivers but quit since uber paid them more. One of my very good friends recently became an uber driver to make extra cash and made enough in a couple weeks to pay for his trip to London.

If the quote is $18, that's total, not per person. If multiple people in your group have uber, there's an option to split the fare (if you're going with friends).

I have seen that some people have mentioned they will not use Uber because of their "unfair business practices", and that is their choice. However after reading them I can easily site the same examples for any public/private transportation company, so I fail to see how they are any different.

Regardless I look forward to testing the waters with Uber this fall at WDW.

Thanks everyone for the information! :thumbsup2

If you are a family / group, Uber is definitely the way to go. Mears charges per person (usually around $20/person roundtrip) and speaking from heavy experience (I attend several conventions in the Orlando area and have visited WDW several times) Orlando cab drivers rip you off. The fares are too high and they go long routes on purpose. I even told one cab driver that he was taking a long way and that I knew where I was going and he go angry and agitated that I called him out on it.

Never in Orlando, but I've used Uber before and found it very good. In the cities I used it in (Dallas, Los Angeles) it was about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a taxi.

I don't use Uber because I'm uncomfortable with their business practices, but many people do use them. They are generally about half the price of a taxi. I would recommend looking into their business practices and deciding what you're comfortable with.

Not sure what business practices are a concern, but I've been an Uber driver for sometime. Not Orlando. I never had an concerns, issues, harassment. Maybe some markets have problems, but drivers I correspond with in Disney resorts are have not related to me an issue except if they don't have a AP there is a parking fee issue and they use the TTC.

With Uber there is no tip, we always request a five star rating instead. I tend to carry chargers, water and car seats, so often families like to tip.

Last edited:
Not sure what business practices are a concern, but I've been an Uber driver for sometime. Not Orlando. I never had an concerns, issues, harassment. Maybe some markets have problems, but drivers I correspond with in Disney resorts are have not related to me an issue except if they don't have a AP there is a parking fee issue and they use the TTC.

With Uber there is no tip, we always request a five star rating instead. I tend to carry chargers, water and car seats, so often families like to tip.

What kind of insurance do you carry? Are you regularly drug screened? Did you have a criminal background check? Who backs you if a passenger attacks you? Or sues you? Who makes sure you're not on the road for too many hours?

Uber carries my transport insurance, my private insurance has a rider for non transport. I worked in Corrections for years and still work within the court system, I don't need a drug test, if I look drunk or high, don't get in and contact uber. if a passenger attacks me, I fear for them,.....but all their contact information in is the system, I see who they are, the same way they will know who I am. I can refuse a fare, I don't like drunks, my log in on the App shows my time. I have four clearances, Local, State, Federal, Child abuse and DOT clearances. I went through more back ground checks from Uber then I did for my court position.

If you have a fear of me or Uber, don't use it. Millions do with no problems. I've been in NYC and wouldn't get in the Taxi with some that show up.

What kind of insurance do you carry? Are you regularly drug screened? Did you have a criminal background check? Who backs you if a passenger attacks you? Or sues you? Who makes sure you're not on the road for too many hours?

You wouldn't happen to work for a taxi company, would you?

My dh uses Uber when he's in Boston proper. Much cheaper than a cab and faster than public transit...he hates moving his car around when going on appts!! But I'm not comfortable using it in Orlando, on my own. I'm not even comfortable using a cab on my own...such a country mouse!!!

You wouldn't happen to work for a taxi company, would you?
No, I don't. I am genuinely curious. And what the PP wrote about Uber carrying her insurance goes against everything Uber states about not being a transportation company - as In How do you insure drivers and livery cars, when you claim not to be a transportation company, and if they are a taxi/car/livery device, then why do they insist on not being subject to various local laws regulating that industry?

Last edited:
No, I don't. I am genuinely curious. And what the PP wrote about Uber carrying her insurance goes against everything Uber states about not being a transportation company - as In How do you insure drivers and livery cars, when you claim not to be a transportation company, and if they are a taxi/car/livery device, then why do they insist on not being subject to various local laws regulating that industry?
Uber carries insurance to cover liability for the passenger(s) in the event of an accident. That's not really saying much.

They claim to be a marketplace, putting individuals with cars in contact with other individuals who need a ride. They claim to be neither an employer nor transportation company. They have lawyers who will tell you that they are not subject to local laws because they aren't the ones driving. I think common sense dictates otherwise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter