Update: Anyone use an Instant Pot See Warning Post #78

I have one, and I really wanted to love it but its just ok for me. I do really like cooking pot roast and pasta with sauce in it. I don't like it when I cook a pork roast for so many minutes then let it natural pressure release for 10-15 minutes only to find out its not done and have to restart the whole thing. That is really annoying. I know so many people just rave about theirs. I do like it but don't love it. I did get rid of my crockpot and have used the slow cooker setting on it also.

I have one but am still a beginner at using it. I am vegetarian but I've made rice, quinoa, sweet potatoes and steamed cauliflower in it.

My favorite thing is one pot pasta with vegan meatballs (Gardein brand) and chopped veggies. All in one pot! Only one pot to clean!

I'm also vegetarian and my favorite use for my instant pot is to cook dried beans. So much quicker and easier than on the stove top and it saves me so much money over buying canned beans. I cooked a 2-lb bag of dried great northern beans today and it took 20 minutes at pressure plus maybe 10-15 minutes to natural release. Made the equivalent of 8 cans of beans, maybe a little more, for less than $2. I've used it for chickpeas, black beans, pinto beans, roman beans, lentils, and even made split pea soup in it. I just use the booklet it came with for cooking times. Aldi has really good prices on dried beans. Usually less than $2 for a 2-lb bag, and they pretty much always have black beans, pinto beans, great northern beans, and red kidney beans, at least at my Aldi. When they're in stock, 1-lb bags of lentils and split peas are $0.99. I even got 1-lb bags of chickpeas for $0.40 on special! The 1-lb bags generally make approximately 4 cans worth.

I also use it to cook grains (quinoa, brown rice, wild rice, etc.) and steam veggies. Makes great sweet potatoes and beets.

What I love most about using it for grains and beans is that you basically set it and forget it until it's done. Sometimes total cooking time (coming up to pressure, cooking at pressure, natural pressure release) doesn't necessarily save time, but I can set the minutes needed at pressure and go about my business without worrying about it. And there is a manual pressure release valve if you need to speed things along after it finishes the timer rather than wait for natural pressure release.

I'll cook up a batch of beans and/or grains once a week and then use them in various recipes throughout the week. I haven't really done much cooking in the way of entire meals using it, mostly used it to make components of a meal.

Here's an example for chicken broth

Regular cooking..about 2 hours

Instant pot (pressure cooker)..about 30 minutes

People hear horror stories about them exploding. Way back when (in granny's days) they would. Now there are safety features that make it impossible.

From http://missvickie.com/workshop/safety.html

Multiple safety features. There is a locking device that won’t allow the pressure lid to be removed until it's safe to do so. Dual pressure valves regulates the pressure, and there is a gasket release aperture that allows steam to be released. The flanges on the interlocking lid won’t allow steam to build up unless properly seated, and a spring loaded mechanism located inside the lid pushes the gasket away from the rim to prevent the pressure cooker from pressurizing unless the lid is properly closed and safely locked in place. There is a visual pressure indicator that clearly shows when the cooker is under pressure and indicates drop in pressure when the cooker is removed from heat and cools down to normal when there is no inside pressure and it is safe to open. Even if you left the pressure cooker over heat on high and wandered off, letting the pressure continue to build, it would just push out the gasket and make a mess on the top of your stove just like when you let an ordinary saucepan boil over.

I LOVE my Instant Pot. I got it for Christmas last year and DH started using it immediately.

I make stews, soups, lentils, beans, roasts, cheesecake, I cook 18 hard boiled eggs perfectly in 5 minutes, yogurt, pulled pork, enchilada fillings.....

Really, you name it, I can do it in there!

I have an Instant Pot, just to be clear that is the name brand of a pressure cooker that has a stainless steel inner pot. That was important for me, I didn't want nonstick. I have the 6 qt 7 in 1 bought it for around $78 on Amazon last fall. I LOVE it! I use it every day, usually multiple times. I no longer cook pasta on the stove. Four minutes, low pressure is perfectly cooked pasta. ( you need a hearty shape usually bow ties for me). Last night I steamed potatoes and eggs for potato salad, 4 minutes on steam, done! Yes, you have to wait for it to come to pressure first. This can take 10-20 minutes depending on what is in there and if it's frozen. I do 4# of frozen skinless chicken thighs for 25 minutes and it does take a while to come to pressure, but I don't pay much attention b/c I don't have to watch it or anything. Also factor in the type of release you may need for timing. The noodles I mentioned have to be a quick release so you have to be around so they don't over cook but meats, beans etc do better with a natural release ( pressure comes down on its own) which can take up to 25 minutes.

I make yogurt all the time in it, cook meats, potatoes, dried beans, steam corn on the cob etc. I had a little trouble finding simpler recipes, I don't often make one pot meals where everything is put in together, but I figured out a lot through practice.

it's too easy..... all I do is buy ribs and cut them into single ribs. We use Dreamland (from Alabama) rib rub. I just load everything into the Instant Pot for 35 min, and they are fall off the bone perfect. We put the sauce on after they come out. We had a few missteps in the beginning. The first time I made them, I put sauce in the pot. That was a HUGE mistake. Anything you cook will draw the liquid out of your food, so you want to be sure you limit how much liquid you add. So we did it a second time with only ribs and dry rub and it was PERFECT. then brush your sauce on and eat. (we heat the sauce up on the stove and then brush it on) They are the most tender ribs that we've had. Even my husband, who is "grill anything we have in the house" said that these were better than he could do on the grill. The best part is, they're just juicy and tender.... they never are dried out, even if you have leftovers the next day. and one pot cleanup!!

Yum!!! This sounds great!! How hard is the pot to clean after doing this? Thanks!

Hm, mine chimes when it seals and when you unseal it. It won't turn on if it's not sealed. Maybe different models? We cheat and release the pressure ourselves.

What type/brand do you have? I think the chime feature would be helpful!!

After all the reviews, I decide to get the 7 in 1 DOU 6qt. from Amazon for $119 and it will be here on Monday. Excited to see how well it works. For those of you interested there are a number of recipes channels on YouTube along with video's on how to use an Instant Pot. We should start a Instant Pot recipe thread HUM

I did ribs in mine last night and everyone that had them said they were really good. I did cheat and buy the pre-seasoned/sauced ones. My ds was having a couple friends over and it was just easier to pop them in there ready to go.
I won't do that again because I ended up having to put more sauce on and pop them in the oven so they got "sticky".
I will just go with the dry rub next time.

Now, another question because that was my first rib cooking experience. What kind of ribs do I use, there were a few options?

I am hoping I can get the butcher's at the grocery store to cut my ribs into individual ribs for me. I'm used to getting ribs that are cooked with dry seasoning and served with sauce on the side, so. I know I will like that, but since mine isn't here yet, is it hard to find non baby back ribs that fit in the 6 QT instant pot? Thanks!

There seems to be a bit of confusion on this thread. Instant Pot is the name brand of the most popular electric pressure cooker. There are other brands as well (Farberware, etc), that are electric pressure cookers, but they aren't actually Instant Pots. A major benefit to the Instant Pot brand is that the liner is stainless steel rather than non-stick. The non-stick liners seem to have issues after a few months, according to reviews.

I love my Instant Pot! In fact, I love it so much that I bought a second one. Both of mine are the DUO-60 model. DUO means it has both high and low pressure, so I can make yogurt on low pressure. 60 means it's the 6 quart model. The 8 quart model wasn't yet released when I bought both of mine. I make a ton of stuff in it...dried beans, white rice, brown rice, no drain mac n' cheese and other pastas, potatoes for mashing, stews, soups, chili, whole chickens, roasts, shredded pork, corn on the cob, etc. I'm probably forgetting a lot of things I've made. My friend makes cheesecakes in hers, but I haven't tried that yet. I bought both of mine on Amazon. Just search for Instant Pot Duo-60 or Duo-80.

I just bought the 7 in 1 on Amazon Prime day special. Have been thinking about buying one for awhile and had a unused giftcard from Christmas. Yay, can't wait to get it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter