Anyone use a Wii for fitness?

plummer925

DIS Veteran
I need to exercise but honestly, hate to do it (I'm quite lazy). I have joined a gym in the past and not used it (talk about a budget buster!).

I was thinking of getting a Wii and a Wii fit. Does anyone have one that they use for fitness? If so, can you really get a good workout from it?

I have diabetes and need to lose about 100 pounds...in the cheapest, and funest way possible.

Thanks!

well, the cheapest way is to walk.

I just bought a Wii for my DH for xmas...he told me the other night that when he used it with his former grandchildren, that it was a pretty good workout.

well, the cheapest way is to walk.

I just bought a Wii for my DH for xmas...he told me the other night that when he used it with his former grandchildren, that it was a pretty good workout.

Well, I know the 'cheapest way is to walk' - that's not really what I asked for though. The area I'm in has huge loose dogs and I do not dare to walk because of it (animal control does nothing because they are 'legal' because of being under verbal control). Plus it's COLD to walk and we have snow already.

I bought the wii fit for exercise. I have to say that I can't get a good workout on it for one reason...it lets you "play" for a few minutes, but then stops. You get your coin for your minutes & then it asks if you want to play again. I have the first edition of the Fit...I know a new one came out but I don't know if they changed this.

I love the games. It is fun & you are definitely moving. I love the step aerobics game...but like I said, when I start getting into it, it stops & asks if I want to play again. :( That's my only problem with it.

Also...like other things, it's been sitting there for about a year untouched...so it's as useful as the treadmill & rock-n-roller stepper I also own (thanks to Tony Little suckering me into yet another fun & easy workout item). LOLOL

Just wanted to add...I am also overweight and lazy & just found out I have high blood pressure. Doc says I have to exercise. I'm in NY & it's hard to walk in the cold. Is there a school w/ a track you could use (when the weather is nicer)? There shouldn't be any dogs there...I wouldn't walk if there were stray/loose dogs either!!

I also have the first edition of the wii fit. I do enjoy it and I am sure if I used it regularly it might actually work. There are some other games too that are workout games, like the biggest loser one. I don't have that one but want it. Also, boxing is a really good workout! It comes on the disk with the wii and it is really intense in the workout area. They also sell boxing games that we may look into getting because it really seems fun. And dance dance revolution I know can be a good workout too. Just some ideas

I love my Wii Fit. I don't think it would be enough of a workout for someone who is already in good shape and looking to lose the last 5 or 10, but it is an excellent starting point for those of us who aren't active/athletic to begin with. I'm not in terrible shape myself, I'm used to walking/biking 2-3 miles per day at a fairly decent pace just because I don't drivfe to run most errands, but I do have quite a bit of weight to lose and tend to be lazy about real exercise. The Fit is a little weak on cardio, like most indoor workouts, but the free step is great for that and the strength training/yoga hits the area I tend to neglect - I'll walk, run, bike and swim, but I seldom do anything specifically strength-building.

I bought the Wii Active to enhance an exercise program I already had in place. I ended up with bilaterial posterior tibial tendonitis. It took 3 months of PT to get to the point where I could walk pain-free.

Let's just say that it cost me quite a bit in co-pays for all of the diagnostic tests and PT visits. I still do the PT exercises at home but the Wii Active has been sitting inactive since July. :rolleyes:

I second the recommendation to walk or use a treadmill.

I bought the wii fit for exercise. I have to say that I can't get a good workout on it for one reason...it lets you "play" for a few minutes, but then stops. You get your coin for your minutes & then it asks if you want to play again. I have the first edition of the Fit...I know a new one came out but I don't know if they changed this.

They did. On the new edition you can create a routine to go through seamlessly. I have a 35min strength/yoga circuit that I do every morning, and on days it is too cold to walk I use the free step to get in at least 30min of cardio.

I used wii fit but I too did not like how you have to keep picking your activity. Too much downtime. I got Wii-active and like it much better but there is a lot of jumping, squats and lunges...not always good on the knees.

If you don't already own a wii I wouldn't pick it as my workout. I'd get a treadmill or it sounds like you really need motivation, find a gym with a personal trainer who will push you.....

I love the wii fit plus, I can do a 45 minute routine and burn about 160 calories. My clothes fit better, I feel better, it's all good. I do this about 6 days per week. Don't bother with the wii fit, go straight for the plus. It has everything on the regular program and a lot of other things that were added.

We have Wii Fit and used it quite a bit last winter during the cold and dark dolrum months. The other thing I got and like a lot is the My Fitness Coach (or is it Trainer?) for Wii. Doesn't require the balance board and is more like an interactive aerobics/yoga DVD. I like it better than a DVD because it is not exactly the same each time and you can choose your environment (and earn new environments as you work out more).

The Wii Fit is fun, but I don't think it will get you into shape. It's more an active pass-time type of system. If you really need to lose weight and get active, you may want to go with something more geared toward that goal. If you haven't exercised much, Leslie Sansone (sp?) has walking videos that are a good place to start. I love to hate them! She's just too chipper! Is there a sport that you like? That might be fun.
Best of luck!

The Wii Fit is fun, but I don't think it will get you into shape. It's more an active pass-time type of system. If you really need to lose weight and get active, you may want to go with something more geared toward that goal. If you haven't exercised much, Leslie Sansone (sp?) has walking videos that are a good place to start. I love to hate them! She's just too chipper! Is there a sport that you like? That might be fun.
Best of luck!

I second the Leslie Sansone video's!!! You can get them at Target for $10!!! In a half hour, you've walked 2 miles effortlessly!

I'm a bit where you are...I would love to get the Wii and Wii Fit but as an in-between however... it's alot of money to invest in something that I'm not 100% sure I'd use.

I second the Leslie Sansone video's!!! You can get them at Target for $10!!! In a half hour, you've walked 2 miles effortlessly!

This got me thinking about how much difference personality makes in choosing an exercise routine. I have a shelf full of workout DVDs/videos, most of which came highly recommended from one person or another, and I never do any of them. The interactive aspect of the Wii makes it so much more fun for me. I like the tracking, the graphs of workouts over time, the cumulative time on the little piggy bank, etc. For me, being able to see those results in the short-term make it easier to stick with it long enough to see the results in the mirror long-term, and the competitive aspect of continually trying to beat my own or my kids' high scores makes it a lot more addictive than just working out along with a video.

I'm a bit where you are...I would love to get the Wii and Wii Fit but as an in-between however... it's alot of money to invest in something that I'm not 100% sure I'd use.

I 3X's the Walk Away the Pounds DVDs by Leslie Sansone. I bought the Wii last year thinking it would get DH and me up and exercising. I researched the Wii Fit and the Wii "My Fitness Coach" and found My Fitness Coach gave a better workout than the Wii Fit. So I bought it. DH & I used it for a couple months, and got good workouts, but it was really hard on my knees, especially after I fell outside and sprained both ankles and one knee. I've never used it much since because my knees hurt too much, and that was last March.

I think you'd be much better off buying the Leslie Sansone DVD's and walking inside your home. They give me a good workout and are much less expensive than the Wii. Now if you want a Wii for playing games, then it might be worth it to you, but I have no desire to play games on it. DH likes the Wii and plays games once or twice a week. But for a workout for us, I think it was a waste of money.

Okay, didn't read all the replies as I'm short on time but here is my review...
I LOVE my wii fit!!! I have been using it for 72 days now (it tells ya this every day). I would HIGHLY recommend the Wii Fit Plus, I'll get to why. SO in 72 days I've dropped 11 pounds and 3 inches on my waist. :banana: I'm thrilled. I do the yoga and strength training. The original is annoying having to choose your thing each time... the plus has a training routine you can set up. You go in and choose the ones you want to do and it goes through each one no stopping. It's great. I would suggest you do them individually first though so you get used to how to do them and all. You can do a body test daily, so it keeps track of what you are losing constantly. At first I did not like this, you see when you go up too:laughing: but it's actually a great thing. I find the best use for this is going to be when I lose all the weight I want, I'll be checking it daily so I'll immediately see if it's starting to go up and that I need to watch what I'm doing. Now I am also following a lot of the weight watchers point system... my sister is in it and has helped me with what I'm eating, what the points are etc, and I'm sure this is helping me. All together these two are perfect for me. However I'm sure you don't have to do the weight watchers, just know that you will need to keep an eye on what you are eating too.
I truly can not completely communicate how wonderful the Wii fit has been for me, how much I do love it ( and I HATE exercising, HATE sweating). Like anything else it is something you have to actually do regularly for it to work but for it to work for me who hates exercise and for me to love it so much it's a wonderful thing. I'm able to make myself get up an hour early every morning to do it, plus I usually do more later in the day it's so much fun!!!
Good Luck
:goodvibes

Okay, kids settled and I read more posts, it most certainly DOES give you a work out. It takes several days or a couple weeks to realize it, but I feel my stomach is harder now, I can hold the yoga poses easier, longer, more steady... I can do more reps of the strength training, it does give you a work out and does work.

I bought the Wii Active to enhance an exercise program I already had in place. I ended up with bilaterial posterior tibial tendonitis. It took 3 months of PT to get to the point where I could walk pain-free.

Let's just say that it cost me quite a bit in co-pays for all of the diagnostic tests and PT visits. I still do the PT exercises at home but the Wii Active has been sitting inactive since July. :rolleyes:

I second the recommendation to walk or use a treadmill.

I blew out my knee doing squats and lunges, and ended up in PT all summer (and I walk about 18 miles a week on my treadmill). I think it's a much better fitness tool than the Wii Fit (because of all of the stopping), and I was sore, but you can hurt yourself.

I love Wii Fit Plus they did a lot of improving on this. I love a lot of the new exercise and by far the seemless flow of making your own routine is great.

Someone else mentioned Dance Dance Revolution, this game can really make you sweat AND they have a version with Disney songs! Its called Disney Grooves.

I love Wii Fit Plus they did a lot of improving on this. I love a lot of the new exercise and by far the seemless flow of making your own routine is great.

Someone else mentioned Dance Dance Revolution, this game can really make you sweat AND they have a version with Disney songs! Its called Disney Grooves.

that was me! I saw it at gamestop and told my husband I might want it because it really is a workout AND disney music... cant beat that! But it seems really hard haha

:love: I LOVE my Wii Fit!!! I have lost about 20 pounds on it. I don't do the balance games much, though they are fun. I mostly use it for aerobics. I do about an hour to an hour and a half of step (I do the 30 minute one at least once) and boxing and hula hoop. I work up quite a sweat and after feel great! This is the first program I have stuck with, I look forward to doing it and hate the days I have somewhere to be first thing in the morning and can't get on it. We also have DDR and it is nice too, but I don't get into it nearly as much as my Wii Fit, but my DD15 loves it and it's great excersize for her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter