• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone tried the poutine at Le Cellier?

OK, I'm from the South where we'll put gravy on just about anything... but both of those pictures look pretty disgusting to me. :crazy2: Hopefully it tastes better than it looks. :lmao: I think I'll just stick with the soup at Le Cellier. :thumbsup2

it ALL looks gross to me...what IS that stuff? fries with cheese curds and gravy???

Now, I WILL wanna try the cheese curds at LTT! Maybe I'll make an ADR for our MNSSHP nite.

OK, I'm from the South where we'll put gravy on just about anything... but both of those pictures look pretty discusting to me. :crazy2: Hopefully it tastes better than it looks. :lmao: I think I'll just stick with the soup at Le Cellier. :thumbsup2

Southern gravy is very different than the gravy us Canucks use. When I first moved to the US (we lived in the midwest for several years) I couldn't believe the stuff they called gravy. To me it looked like congealed fat. I couldn't force myself to try it. Well, I finally did and I grew to LOVE the stuff (OMG I love chicken fried steak), but it is definitely very different. Up north we use a much darker gravy (I think it's usually beef though there are some great tangy chicken gravies up there as well) that's a lot thinner than southern white gravy. Of course whenever I go back home I HAVE to get an order of poutine. I'm partial to the poutine served from fry trucks around downtown Ottawa.

Southern gravy is very different than the gravy us Canucks use. When I first moved to the US (we lived in the midwest for several years) I couldn't believe the stuff they called gravy. To me it looked like congealed fat. I couldn't force myself to try it. Well, I finally did and I grew to LOVE the stuff (OMG I love chicken fried steak), but it is definitely very different. Up north we use a much darker gravy (I think it's usually beef though there are some great tangy chicken gravies up there as well) that's a lot thinner than southern white gravy. Of course whenever I go back home I HAVE to get an order of poutine. I'm partial to the poutine served from fry trucks around downtown Ottawa.
Hmmm... now you've got we wanting to try it. It looks like they have the gravy on the side, so even if we hate it with the gravy the kids could just eat the fries. :goodvibes

If they have changed it, it's now on my must do list. Especially w gravy, and lots of it.

I'm French-Canadian and live in Ottawa, Canada. When we were at Le Cellier in August, our server advised us against having the poutine because it wasn't authentic. So unless they've changed the menu in a month, they still aren't serving curds or decent gravy.

For those interested in WW points, my counsellor says that poutine is 19 points. This is based on a "medium" serving of authentic poutine served in a dive restaurant near my house.

Southern gravy is very different than the gravy us Canucks use. When I first moved to the US (we lived in the midwest for several years) I couldn't believe the stuff they called gravy. To me it looked like congealed fat. I couldn't force myself to try it. Well, I finally did and I grew to LOVE the stuff (OMG I love chicken fried steak), but it is definitely very different. .

Darlin, there's brown gravy and there's cream gravy. Mmmmmmmmmmmm...chicken fried steak and cream gravy. I'm goin back to Dallas next week...maybe I'll haff to find a good cream gravy.

I still never have liked fries and gravy...and with CHEEESE??? yeee-uck. You won't have to worry bout ME eating all of it!:rotfl:

Yea, that' not Poutine. That's cheese fries with a side of gravy. :sad2:

I've only had Poutine in Montreal but I thought it was great. Squeaky cheese is needed for real Poutine.

Ditto this. I grew up in Montreal, so am obviously a poutine expert... ... ;)

I'm French-Canadian and live in Ottawa, Canada. When we were at Le Cellier in August, our server advised us against having the poutine because it wasn't authentic. So unless they've changed the menu in a month, they still aren't serving curds or decent gravy.

For those interested in WW points, my counsellor says that poutine is 19 points. This is based on a "medium" serving of authentic poutine served in a dive restaurant near my house.

What dive in Ottawa? I'm up there several times per year but rarely make it downtown to the chip wagons I remember so fondly (when I worked in downtown Ottawa I frequented those chip wagons way too often). I'm always on the looking for a good place to eat in Ottawa.

The irony is that I'm at school eating some excellent poutine right now...curds and all *yummy*

Side Note...I was watching the food network a couple weeks ago (don't remember which show, but it definitely was not on food network Canada)...and the host was talking about cheese curds on homemade fries with gravy. He said it looked disguising but tasted amazing then said ...and I quote "I wonder why no one thought of this sooner???" :lmao: :rotfl2::rotfl::headache:

Yuck :scared1:

Yummmmmmmm :goodvibes

That first one doesn't even look good enough to be called cheese fries. What is the cheese on top? American Cheese? Cheese Whiz? That looks nasty. Le Cellier is suppose to be a 2 credit restraunt next year. Glad I get to finally try it this year with one credit, I don't think I would waste my credits on that kind of mess. I hope everything else looks and tastes better than that.

If have have never eaten at Le Cellier - you are in for a REAL TREAT!

Poutine real or not - their steaks are absolutely AMAZING!

I usually will not eat steak because it's just really hard to get a GREAT steak.

However - the steak at Le Cellier is literally butter soft! It's amazing!

Without a doubt it is the best steak I have ever eaten!

The Cheddar Cheese Soup - along with the Pretzel Break Sticks are AMAZING!

We ate there for the first time over Labor Day Weekend (caught that someone was cancelling their Lunch reservation - and we called immediately and picked it up!) and then we were able to get a Dinner Reservation for Saturday November 27th I think. Can't wait - I may try the Filet this time - I had the New York Strip last time - and it's going to be HARD to beat!

MMMMMM :)

True poutine has dark beef gravy and white cheese curds. Being a canuckie and all, I do consider myself a poutine connoisseur and I do have to say the Costco in Canada makes a mighty fine poutine:yay:

The irony is that I'm at school eating some excellent poutine right now...curds and all *yummy*

Side Note...I was watching the food network a couple weeks ago (don't remember which show, but it definitely was not on food network Canada)...and the host was talking about cheese curds on homemade fries with gravy. He said it looked disguising but tasted amazing then said ...and I quote "I wonder why no one thought of this sooner???" :lmao: :rotfl2::rotfl::headache:

Wow! newbie poser eh!!:rotfl2:

The Poutine I grew up with used sharp white cheddar curds, thick steak fries and mushroom gravy. It's that gravy from burger joints in Scarbrough, it is so good. I still make it sometimes here in Indianaplois. Meijer has the proper curds and the bottled Heinz mushroom gravy is acceptable to my taste buds.

Sorry, I'm a little late to this thread, but I was just writing up our Le Cellier experience for our trip report and was curious was others thought of the poutine and found this. I just wanted to throw in that, when we were there in June, our server specifically said that it was cheese curds on it. That was why we got it...I was born in Wisconsin, so if cheese curds are involved, I must have it! :) Anyway, when we received it, I was surprised to realize that they were completely melted (although, some were still curd-shaped). However, it did taste like they were melted cheese curds, as opposed to slices or something. However, this poutine wasn't nearly as good as what we had on a trip to Ottawa. We didn't finish it, as there were too many other delicious things on our table (pretzel bread, cheddar cheese soup, NY strip, cream cheese mashed potatoes...). Here's a pic of ours:
102Poutine.jpg

I love fry trucks!!! I use to go visit family who lived in Canada when I was little and we always hit up the fry truck first thing!!! I wouldn't try the poutine til I got older (crazy I know) but I loved me some fries with gravy, ketchup and malt vinegar!!!

I have been known to whip up some gravy and dump it on my fries much to the amusement of my friends. They thought I was nuts :confused3

Man that brings back some memories. I would love to have some authentic poutine

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter