Anyone tried the Pocket Chair?

Disney2012

Earning My Ears
Newbie here. Standing in line gives me back pain (I'm sure I'm in good company), and I pondered getting a Pocket Chair for Disney. Anyone ever tried these, or have thoughts on whether it would work?

TIA for your help!:flower3:

Newbie here. Standing in line gives me back pain (I'm sure I'm in good company), and I pondered getting a Pocket Chair for Disney. Anyone ever tried these, or have thoughts on whether it would work?

TIA for your help!:flower3:

Never heard of a pocket chair, but I do know one of the things WDW lists as not allowed is folding chairs.

That being said, I don't see how a chair in a line would work since you would need to be moving it all the time.

IMO this would be totally impractical, even if Disney allowed it through security. They will probably deem it a folding chair- it is in fact a folding stool. You would have to pick it up and carry it every 15-30 seconds at least in the lines. Then what are you going to do with it when you get on the rides? Don't think it will work. Sorry.

I had never read where Disney bans folding chairs - but of course the DISers know and that's why I asked. It make sense why they would. I did have doubts about how it might work, even though it's small enough to fit in your pocket. It would be a lot of shuffling and up and down. Thanks again for quickly answering a question. Guess a person just has to try to avoid big lines and take breaks. Thanks!

I can't really remember a time that I was at a stand still more than a few seconds in a line. It's is very rare to be able to speed walk through the line, but the lines do move even at the busiest of times fairly often. I would imagine that by the time you put the stool down and bent down to sit on it that you would only get a few seconds before you had to get up and move it and do it all over again. It would make great excersize with all the squats, i think those stools are pretty low. I don't think they would even allow it, but I know back pain can be miserable, I hope everything will workout and you have a great trip.

My kids' friends have these to take camping. They are SO uncomfortable!

I would think that if you have back issues, this thing would be the last thing you would want to use. Just the bending and squatting would aggravate a bad back. The position it would place you in while sitting would be very bad for you as well. Then there's the whole issue of squatting down and putting your face squarely at butt level with everyone around you!:scared1::eek:

If you have a bad back problem, one of the solutions that has been often recommended is a rollator. This is a wheeled walker that has a built in seat. CMs will treat it like a wheelchair- they'll put it aside when you board a ride, and you can retrieve it when you get off.

They are so tiny! My goodness! I'd get tired of trying to get up from being that low to the ground. :rotfl2:

I could see these being useful for parades if you don't want to sit on the curb or if you are behind people on the curb waiting. Other than that, yeah doesn't seem too practical to me!

1. It is a folding chair, so it would probably not be allowed.

2. It is very low to the ground, so sitting down and then getting up again would probably be very difficult and painful.

3. The promotion I see is selling two of the, including shipping, for $19.98; I would worry very much about the quality of both materials and workmanship.

4. You would probably be better off with a cane which includes a folding seat.

I saw them at five below and they are very cheaply made and less than tiny chair wise, probably a foot tall. If I used it my entire body would be sore after one line.

I had never read where Disney bans folding chairs - but of course the DISers know and that's why I asked. It make sense why they would.

It is covered in the Theme Park FAQ's on Disney's website:
Are there any personal items I should not bring with me into the theme parks?

Items that you may not bring into the theme parks include but are not limited to:
•Items with wheels, such as:
•Wheeled Mobility Devices: To promote the safety of Guests across our parks and resorts, the following guidelines are currently in place. All wheeled mobility devices must have three or four wheels and maintain stability and balance when stopped, unpowered, or unoccupied. Training wheels or similar modifications are not permitted.
•Wagons
•Skateboards
•Scooters
•Inline skates
•Shoes with built-in wheels
•Strollers larger than 36" x 52" (92 x 132 cm)
•Suitcases, coolers or backpacks with or without wheels larger than 24" (61 cm) long x 15" (38 cm) wide x 18" (46 cm) high. (Coolers required for medication may be stored in a locker or at Guest Relations.)
•Any trailer-like object that is pushed or towed by an ECV wheelchair or stroller
•Alcoholic beverages
•Weapons of any kind
•Folding chairs
•Glass containers (excluding baby food jars and perfume bottles)
•Pets (unless they are service animals)
•Balloons, straws and drink lids are not permitted in Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park for the safety of our wildlife.

In Disney's Animal Kingdom theme Park (for the safety of the wildlife), balloons, straws and drink lids are not permitted.

•Glass containers (excluding baby food jars and perfume bottles)

That's weird. I mean, making an exception for baby food jars makes total sense, but perfume bottles? Why make an exception for those?

That's weird. I mean, making an exception for baby food jars makes total sense, but perfume bottles? Why make an exception for those?

You obviously have never stood in a crowded line on a very hot day. If so, you would know the answer to that question. :rotfl:

It technically is a folding chair, which is not allowed, however this is not what they meant by "folding chair" when the policy was created, so I think there's a better than average chance you'd be able to get it in. You'd probably get it in sometimes and other times not. So wouldn't be worth it since you'd have to throw it in the garbage or go all the way back to the car/hotel room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter