Anyone that had swine flu still getting h1n1 vaccine?

skw444

DIS Veteran
I was sick last week with the swine flu and now still battling "complications"...I have strep throat and bronchitis now. Anyway, the doctor mentioned that I should still get the h1n1 vaccine when it becomes available here. I had the seasonal flu shot already. I had thought once you got the flu that you wouldn't get it again that season but the doctor had the attitude of being safe since they don't know much about swine flu yet. Anyone else in the situation and are you getting the vaccine?

YES. My dd15 Had a suspected case of H1N1 in June. She missed the last week of school and all her exams, had to go to summer school to take her tests, it was a mess. Anyway, at the time they had suspended testing so while they were almost certain that it was H1N1, they could not be positive so they suggested she get the vaccine. All of my girls got it 2 weeks ago (nasal mist) with no complications. Now if I could just get one...

If they ever get the vaccine around here, yes, our suspected family cases of it will get the vaccine as well. Initially, they said we wouldn't need to, but now they are saying we should.

YES! My DD 4 had it but wasn't tested, they're not testing for it AT ALL here anymore but her doc said she for sure had it and suggested STILL getting the vaccine just in case. So we will.

DS 6 tested positive for H1N1 and his Doctor and Pulmonary Doctor both want him to still get the shot (of course we still can't find it). Because he is high risk (asthma) and there is so many different strands of the virus it's possible to get it again.

i believe that, DD got the nasty fever and then the cough. I just got the cough and that was it so I'm getting it too...if I can ever find it, she can get it next week, don't know when adults can!

If you had the H1N1 and did not have the Tamiflu, you will not need the vaccine. If you had the Tamiflu, then you did not build up the antibodies against it and you will need the vaccine. I got this straight from the mouth of the Infectious Disease doctor treating my dd5 in the hospital week before last (she was not there for H1N1).

I had the H1N1 and was told differently by my infectious disease doctor. First I am NOT going to get the shot for myself or my kids, I am not comfortable with it right now. My pediatrician will not be getting the shot herself and will not administer the shot. I was told I probably have some immunity to it as my children MAY also because they were exposed and did not get sick. This is a very personal decision no flames please!

NOPE! Before our whole family got sick with H1N1 I was debating about getting the shot and was on the fence but then we all got sick and our doctor agreed we no longer needed the shot. I am not a fan of it anyways so we will not be getting it. I did get the regular flu shot for my kids that can have it

With a vaccine shortage and many vulnerable people unable to get it, it seems borderline irresponsible for doctors to be recommending vaccine to people who are almost certainly already immune.

The argument that the strain might mutate seems less than convincing since presumably the vaccine is formulated from the strain that was circulating in the summer and so would be even less similar to the strain circulating now than whatever people are suffering from currently, kwim?

If you're high risk and your case isn't confirmed, than I can see getting vaccinated. But if you are healthy and had a confirmed case it only seems reasonable to breathe a sigh of relief and leave the available doses for those who really need them.

I wouldn't see why you would get the vaccine if you already had the H1N1 virus. Did they test and are you sure you got the virus?

I had the H1N1 and was told differently by my infectious disease doctor. First I am NOT going to get the shot for myself or my kids, I am not comfortable with it right now. My pediatrician will not be getting the shot herself and will not administer the shot. I was told I probably have some immunity to it as my children MAY also because they were exposed and did not get sick. This is a very personal decision no flames please!

No flames just a hand clap. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter