• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone taken early at Cal Grill Dinner?

childressva01

Mouseketeer
I have a 7:40 ressie at CG but want to go to a 9:00 show at Cirque in DD.

1) how long was your experience at Cali Grill dinner?
2) how many of you showed up early in hopes of being taken early - and if so, any luck?

Todd

Last time we ate there we were seated 50 minutes past our ADR time. We've eaten here +/- 6 times and only once were we seated on time.

Dinners are usually 90 to 120 minutes after being seated. We do order appetizers and wine.

Even if you are seated at 5:30 (when Ca. Grill opens for dinner) you may have difficulty making that show. Cirque requests that patrons to be seated at least 30 minutes before showtime (you'll miss the preshow if you don't). Should the full meal take two hours (and it very well might), you're out at 7:30, assuming you got seated immediately. An hour is usually enough time to get to DTD via Disney transportation but...

Unless you have a car or take a cab, when you leave from the Contemporary you will need to grab the Downtown Disney bus. First, you might have to wait up to 20 minutes and perhaps more for the bus to arrive. The bus will go to the Polynesian and possibly the Grand Floridian (GF usually shares with another resort, but they do go there sometimes on the Contemp/Poly bus). Then it's a long ride to DTD. You won't get off the bus at the first stop (Marketplace) but the second stop (PI). From the PI stop you will need to walk across all of West Side to get to the Cirque theater.

If it were me, and I didn't have a car, I would plan on eating somewhere at or closer to DTD before Cirque, or budget money for a taxi. It could be a tight squeeze if you don't. That's assuming you go at 5:30. Go any later and you probably won't make it at all.

I think you'll be lucky to be seated by 8pm. If I were you, I'd cancel CG and eat somewhere in DTD. It will be easier to just walk to Cirque and not have to rush. CG will take at least 1.5 to 2 hours if not more and then you have to travel to the other side of the property to DTD. Even at the DTD restaurants, I'd get a reservation no later than 7pm for the 9pm Cirque show.

Hope this helps! Have a good time! :thumbsup2

My experience has been almost exactly like Pakeys--we usually get in a hour LATER than our reservation time. And our meals take about an hour and a half to 2 hours.
So I think either CG or Cirque would have to go----

Ugh - tough choice. If I give up CG, does anyone have anything to recommend at downtown disney that is the same caliber?

I think Fulton's Crab House is easily on par with California Grill, often better.

It is, however, not on the dining plan (if you are).

Only other things I can think of in DTD that might approximate are Portobello and Wolfgang Puck Upstairs Dining Room. Neither accepts the dining plan.

I think you'll be lucky to be seated by 8pm.

1) Agreed.
2) You are in Prime Time for dinner.
3) Plus, folks make ressies at this time so they can see the fireworks.
4) I would change the ressie or the Cirque plans.
5) Also, from Cali Grille podium, I would allow 45-minutes to get to Cirque.

California Grill is as hard as Le Cellier. If you get to go GO. We usually stay at CR but still cannot obtain CA Grill. Oh well.:confused3:confused3:confused3:confused3

We are going to be eating at CG with La Nouba. However, we are planning to watch the 6:00pm show before heading back for a late dinner at California Grill @8:45 dinner. If you really want to eat at CG, check if you can change your ticket to the early show. You might want to see if there's ADR available for CG at a later time slot too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter