Anyone take Valium???

They can be used for a "once only" type of event (dentist, flying, etc). Although, even for that use it would be considered "off label." - What exactly do you mean by "Off label"?

Benzo drugs were made to be an anti convulsive drugs, but, also happen to reduce anxiety. - Xanax are prescribed primarily, but not exclusively, for anxiety and panic disorders.

They are not meant to be a sleep aide or used occasionally, even twice a month is too much. They are not like a tylenol or aspirin and can not be used as needed. That's exactly what some are prescribed for, to be used as needed (for panic attacks/extreme anxiety)

Unfortunately, I am now an expert (much to my dismay) on benzos. I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy to experience what benzo withdrawal (from a .125 - a micro dose - once a day for 7 day script) will do to you. "- You must be very sensitive to medication, if you had withdrawal from what pretty much equaled 1/4 a normal dose, once a day, for only one week.

I'm just asking folks to consider my information and experience and not assume these drugs as "safe" or no big deal and realize most GP Dr's a very unaware what these drugs are meant for and what damage they can do. " - Yeah, I'm sure my Internal Medicine doctor doesn't know a thing he's talking about! :rolleyes:

I am not trying to be condescending, but it would be VERY uncommon, taking 1/4 a dose for 7 days to cause addiction or withdrawal.

There are many people out there with real, diagnosed, General Anxiety Disorder (GAD) or Panic Disorder. This drug may be the only way they can function, or make them "not feel like they are dying" if they take it. If I have a panic attack (which isn't often), I start choking, a warmth spreads across my chest, my hands tingle, my heart palpitates, and I think I'm going to die of a heart of attack. If I "pop a xanax", these intense feeling go away. You will not get addicted or have withdrawals if you take intermittently (i.e. once or twice a month). You are the exception, not the rule.

:thumbsup2 I too am trying to figure out what she means by "off label"?

:thumbsup2 About as much empathy as you've shown all on this thread for their legitimate feelings of anxiety. One or two pills does not an addict make. I mentioned you may be sensitive to medications, I was being serious, not unsympathetic or sarcastic...my mother is one of those people, that is super-sensitive to almost every medication. You too, may be one of those people, because I'd definitely say you are in the minority that a quarter of a pill once a day for seven days would give you withdrawals. I would mention this to any doctor you see in the future, so they are aware that you may have hyper-reation to certain medications.

You're misunderstanding my reason for posting this info. My empathy for anxiety is so high because I never want another person to experience the type of undescribable anxiety that I have gruelingly put up with for 14 months of healing. People are sent out of Dr's offices with very vague instructions on how to take benzos. My hope is help someone become educated and understand the seriousness of this drug and how it can and can not be taken.

That small dose of my script is only the beginning of my benzo hell story. That small burst of use (and it will effect anyone who uses a benzo for more than 5 days in a row - look up the info) was enough to trigger a cascade of withdrawal symptoms (primarily increased anxiety) that a group of uneducated drs didn't know how to diagnose. The beginning of my story is also very common with how so many people start down a journey into benzo hell. You take a small dose here and there but anxiety seems to be going up for some reason. So you take another benzo here and there and it's still not getting better and anxiety goes up. This is the pattern of so many folks who do not know the strength of benzodiazepines. But if you educate yourself, you know that benzos themselves cause additional anxiety because they physically alter the GABA receptors of the brain and increase anxiety because they cause tolerance withdrawal (look it up).

The short of it is....people need to know that these drugs can not be used as needed as so many Drs prescribe. "Use as needed" means lots of different things to different people. And perhaps you may be one of those people who would never take a Valium, Xanax, Ativan or Klonopin more than once a day in a months time...but maybe the poster (or another reader) to this question thought she could take one Valium for 5 days in a row while on vacation to help her sleep. And perhaps the suggestion of having her look up the dangers of benzo use may help her think twice before taking this drug too many days in a row because her Dr didn't clearly explain (or even know) that they brain chemistry alters and becomes chemically addicted to this drug and can cause additional anxiety. I've had a personal experience that I'm trying to share in the hopes that it saves someone the horrid struggle I went through. Who knows...maybe you'll think twice about that benzo next time you reach for it.

Be well, stay safe.

You can look it up. It's part of understanding and educating yourself on benzos and what they were originally created for and how the off label use in now so commonly prescribed. Specifically check out the Australian use of benzos and the Uk's use....and how far behind the US is in understanding benzodiazepines.

:thumbsup2 I too am trying to figure out what she means by "off label"?

Off label means that you are using a drug for something other than its intended purpose. It isn't all that uncommon. For example, I have Raynaud's (basically the capillaries in my extremities - mainly hands and feet - close when they get hold and they turn white and then blue). Although no drug has been designed (at least not when I researched it) for this condition, doctors can prescribe antihypertensives - even though I don't have high blood pressure, because the actions of these drugs can help reduce the frequency of my attacks (for the record, I've chosen not to take them). That would be an "off label" use of the drug.

Off label means that you are using a drug for something other than its intended purpose. It isn't all that uncommon. For example, I have Raynaud's (basically the capillaries in my extremities - mainly hands and feet - close when they get hold and they turn white and then blue). Although no drug has been designed (at least not when I researched it) for this condition, doctors can prescribe antihypertensives - even though I don't have high blood pressure, because the actions of these drugs can help reduce the frequency of my attacks (for the record, I've chosen not to take them). That would be an "off label" use of the drug.

Ahhhh!! Thanks! Yeah, I'm prescribed Gabapentin, for my arthritic back pain, because it's supposed to help calm nerve-receptors, but it was intended for seizures.

Who knows...maybe you'll think twice about that benzo next time you reach for it.

Let's see....one 1mg xanax every couple of months when I have a panic attack, or end up in the hospital (again), stripped down to a gown with lines hooked up to me to do an EKG, getting blood drawn, just to ultimately get a dose of Ativan intravenously. Decisions, decisions!

Thanks for all the info. It's funny, when I was leaving the dentist, I mentioned that I thought I needed more valium because even though I didn't feel anxious, my heart was racing. The dentist was standing there and said to me "maybe it's from the local anesthetic". To be honest, I have had novacaine many times before and that's never happened, but this is a new dentist and she started a root canal and said by looking at the x-ray she was shocked I wasn't in alot of pain. When she gave me the novacaine she also commented that it was alot and on previous times I have had it, it usually wares off in a few hours after treatment but this times lasted for hours. I will call and check with her about the epinephrine free novacaine. Thanks so much.

I've heard the same thing about the negative effects because of the epinephrine (think "speed"). Don't be afraid of the gas, it makes the experience so much more relaxing (it doesn't put you to sleep or anything like that), and it literally wears off as soon as they take it off, so you don't have to worry about driving yourself home....and also has the benefits of numbing your gums. I've had my gums scaled with no anesthetic, and the dentist was amazed. Also, it's not uncommon to feel no pain during a root canal...if your root is "dead", then there are no live nerves.

Usually, when I go to the dentist, I ask for the gas, plug my IPod buds into my ears (to me that's the worse part, hearing the drill :scared: ) and try to relax.

Thanks for all the info. It's funny, when I was leaving the dentist, I mentioned that I thought I needed more valium because even though I didn't feel anxious, my heart was racing. The dentist was standing there and said to me "maybe it's from the local anesthetic". To be honest, I have had novacaine many times before and that's never happened, but this is a new dentist and she started a root canal and said by looking at the x-ray she was shocked I wasn't in alot of pain. When she gave me the novacaine she also commented that it was alot and on previous times I have had it, it usually wares off in a few hours after treatment but this times lasted for hours. I will call and check with her about the epinephrine free novacaine. Thanks so much.

I've heard the same thing about the negative effects because of the epinephrine (think "speed"). Don't be afraid of the gas, it makes the experience so much more relaxing (it doesn't put you to sleep or anything like that), and it literally wears off as soon as they take it off, so you don't have to worry about driving yourself home....and also has the added benefit of numbing your gums. I've had my gums scaled with no anesthetic, and the dentist was amazed. Also, it's not uncommon to feel no pain during a root canal...if your root is "dead", then there are no live nerves.

Usually, when I go to the dentist, I ask for the gas, plug my IPod buds into my ears (to me that's the worse part, hearing the drill :scared: ) and try to relax.

P.S. Also, I might want to mention getting a 2nd opinion about your root canals, unless you are in pain. I took my son to the dentist and was told he had 3 cavities. I didn't have dental insurance at the time and had to put his treatment off for a year. I took him back to a different dentist a year later and he had NO CAVITIES. Now, I know cavities don't "disappear", which can only mean the 1st dentist was trying to pad his pockets!!

Let's see....one 1mg xanax every couple of months when I have a panic attack, or end up in the hospital (again), stripped down to a gown with lines hooked up to me to do an EKG, getting blood drawn, just to ultimately get a dose of Ativan intravenously. Decisions, decisions!

I've been there too (non benzo related)....and I'm so sorry you have had that experience as well. It doesn't change the fact that benzo education needs to happen. If that info is not for you, I understand. Hopefully it will reach someone else and help them out. The poster asked about Valium and I shared my experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter