Anyone take their wireless router to a Disney resort?

Carrieberry

<font color=9999CC>Has to post on the right thread
Hi all! My DH wants to take our wireless router to OKW in a few weeks. We have 2 laptops. I will most likely not take mine out of the case other than to use the DVD player on the plane, he on the other hand will proabably mess around on his at night when the kid's go to bed. He is trying to get a business started and might have some work to do. Anywhoo, just wondering if we can use our wireless router in the room so we can sit out on the balcony and surf the net? Thanks!

Well, if he brings his router, the laptop can talk to the router, sure - but what will the router talk to?

In other words, how will he connect the router to the internet?

Unless, of course, you pay for the high speed internet access at $9.95 per 24 hours.

I am not sure that they will give you technical support for this configuration, as you would be able to share this with others who wouldn't be paying for it.

Yes, we would be paying the $9.95 daily for it. I am not too concerend about tech support since he is a computer guru. If it does not work then we would just plug in with the cable we have, no biggie. We fully intend to pay the $9.95 either way. It is more of a convience thing in case we both want to be on our laptops at the same time, or if he wants to sit outside and use his. Our router has WEP (wireless encrypted protection/password) it has a 10 digit code (128 but encrypted) you have to know in order to access the router so no one else would be using something that we are paying for. Is this something Disney does not allow or is the tech support thing the only issue?

You can use your wireless router, however, be aware you might have someone else try to jump on your bandwidth.

MickeyMac said:
You can use your wireless router, however, be aware you might have someone else try to jump on your bandwidth.

I'd do it if he wants to get multiple machines on! This poster has a good point, but he could turn WEP (wired equivelancy protocol) on or enable Closed system mode to avoid people seeing his access point.

If he doesn't have another machine to connect, it doesn't make much sense unless the router has high layer firewall protection.

I honestly didn't think of that. I think I'll bing my router the next time we go! (although my wife may not be too happy about that ;-) )

I am planning to bring our router to use while we are at PC. I have never "closed" the access to it. Is it really important that I do so while at DW?

Also, does this really work with a router? Have others done it?

trvlnut said:
I am planning to bring our router to use while we are at PC. I have never "closed" the access to it. Is it really important that I do so while at DW?

Also, does this really work with a router? Have others done it?

You should have your router secue even (or maybe especially!) at home. It is only important if you do not want anybody else to see what you are doing across the internet ro what you have stored on your computer. Honestly, the least of your problems without a secure access point is someone stealing your bandwith - that's easy. The most risk lays with someone stealing your data - not especially hard to do with an open access point if you know what your doing.

I have always intended to secure my network. However, I couldn't figure out how to do it without reading through the piles of paperwork that came with the router. Guess I should give it a whirl, huh?

So...the wireless router should work at PC right?

I am guilty. Always take it when the hotel has access. You can get to be a popular guy.

It should work. Depending on the authentication scheme that they have in use, you may have to initially purchase the contiguous 24 hours with a laptop and then use MAC cloning in order to have the facilities recognize the router. It is possible but may require a little work. If he is a 'true geek', he'll figure it out. On the other hand, if they don't bind to your MAC addy at the time of purchase, it will be quite a trivial setup. ;)

Also keep in mind that WEP is pretty simple to crack given enough time, although I doubt that most at WDW would worry about doing this, as there are plenty of other interesting things to do. Something to keep in mind, though, if you're trusting WEP all the time in your home. WPA is a much better option. :wave:

We bought a mini wireless router before our last trip in May to SSR. We purchased internet access daily from WDW. We had everything plugged in, DH's laptop and mine both saw the internet. Unfortunately, everytime DH surfed, I was kicked off the internet.

Go figure. We still haven't figured out what we did wrong. DH tried everything....it didn't make sense.

Cute little router thing - carrying case and all for only $39.99 before a $5 rebate.

Oh well. Good luck!

emnrich-
Do you have trouble setting the router up when you are at the hotels? I have a laptop as does my husband and it would be nice to use them at the same time without using a wire.

When in WDW last April, we used my husband's Treo cell phone as a modem for internet access for our laptop. If you have one of those, you can bypass the resort internet and charges, and it's portable, too. I think WDW's charges for internet access in the room are outrageous, compared to complimentary internet practically everywhere else we stay.

(Just typing this idea in case it can help anyone else).

I have a pocket router that I always travel with. It is super. Nice and small and fits right in the laptop bag nicely. I like this so that I can use my laptop over on the bed if I don't feel like being at the desk. One time we had a room that had a sliding glass door out to the pool area. It was a business trip, mixed with a bit of pleasure. My DD was able to swim for an hour while I got some work done at the patio table outside the room! Its great!

mmmears said:
When in WDW last April, we used my husband's Treo cell phone as a modem for internet access for our laptop. If you have one of those, you can bypass the resort internet and charges, and it's portable, too. I think WDW's charges for internet access in the room are outrageous, compared to complimentary internet practically everywhere else we stay.

(Just typing this idea in case it can help anyone else).

Yup, Treo devices (as well as many others) can be used as a bridge in order to allow other devices to access the Internet. Yay for broadband plans! :thumbsup2

mmmears said:
I think WDW's charges for internet access in the room are outrageous, compared to complimentary internet practically everywhere else we stay.
That's how it always seems to be. $60 a night hotels offer it for free but higher end places always seem to charge $10-$12 per night. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter