Anyone take the kids to Mickey's BBQ

kathy23

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone! I just made an ADR for Mickey's BBQ and was wondering if anyone ever went and what their opinion is. It looks like the food is not so good but we booked it b/c my son LOVES Mickey. (he is two) Thanks!

We were considering this, too. However, I have read that the Hoop De Doo Revue was better option. I have made an ADR, yet. I am curious to hear what everyone says.

We made an ADR but will cancel if necessary. I heard the other show is more for older kids. Mine are two and six.

Your little kids will be fine, age wise. I didn't like it because I don't like country music and there was no soda!! LOL No soda + country music = grumpy Mommy. It was also about 9,000 degrees and outside (with a roof, though it was pouring). I have some really cute pics of the kids dancing with Mickey and Minnie. We didn't stay too long.

kam1011 said:
Your little kids will be fine, age wise. I didn't like it because I don't like country music and there was no soda!! LOL No soda + country music = grumpy Mommy. It was also about 9,000 degrees and outside (with a roof, though it was pouring). I have some really cute pics of the kids dancing with Mickey and Minnie. We didn't stay too long.

No soda??? What?!?
I made an ADR for this. We have never done it. My kids are 8,6 and 1 and I was told this was better then hddr for them.
What do they offer to drink?? I didn't realize it was outside either?

DanaMark3boys said:
No soda??? What?!?
I made an ADR for this. We have never done it. My kids are 8,6 and 1 and I was told this was better then hddr for them.
What do they offer to drink?? I didn't realize it was outside either?

Yes it is outside under a pavilion with open sides. I believe that they don't serve soda due to bees. Nothing attracts bees faster than soda LOL

We were able to do the BBQ and the Hoop De Doo and loved both last year! The BBQ was great because the characters are very interactive the whole time. There is beer and wine and the food wasn't bad. Get there right when it starts and you can get in line for pictures with a few characters before it all starts! The Hoop De Doo is great but is a person show rather than any characters so they are pretty different. The fried chicken at the Hoop De Doo is amazing though and I would LOVE to go again when we go in a few weeks but don't think we will be able to.

I couldn't get my DD2 to sit down she just wanted to dance with Minnie and Mickey! My older DD9 loved it too, I've heard mixed reviews on the Mickey BBQ but its a personal favorite. Biggest thing is the temps, it's hot and if you plan to dance you will feel it! Nothing wrong with a little sweat... Then head to the pool :)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I love the idea of the bbq and that the characters interact and dance with the kids, but the time of year we travel to WDW is always a factor for us considering that it is an outdoor event and that we would have the heat and possibly rain to contend with.

We brought our kids to Mickey's Backyard BBQ when they were 7, 6 and 4. All of them had a great time! We went in April, so it wasn't too hot. Pretty standard BBQ food.

After reading the responses I thought it sounded like so much fun! So then I went to read more about it and saw it would cost 2 meals on the dining plan :( Is it worth it?

We did not like the BBQ. The parents were the problem. Kids would wait their turn to dance, etc with the characters and the freaking selfish parents would repeatedly plop their kids at the front of the line. My quiet little man had no chance. The parents were relentless. All night long pushing their way through crowds of little kids under the pretense of " I paid a lot of money for this. " well, so did everyone else. Read the reviews Many unhappy families due to helocoptering, selfish parents.
We did enjoy dancing together though. Food was eh.

I was very disappointed in teh BBQ. I had done a ton of research beforehand & decided on BBQ. My son was 9 when we went. I didn't realize that is was mostly a free for all dance session with the characters. My son hates to dance so if I realized that, I wouldn't have chosen it. I thought it would have been more like of a show (we had done the Luau at Polynesian on our last trip). Not to mention we waited on line for 20 minutes to have a picture taken with Mickey & Minnie when apparently they were done taking pictures & left, even with a bunch of people still in line!

Is this really just a free-for-all dancing party? I thought there was some sort of organized show and a guy that does a roping demonstration, etc.? Is there nothing to watch except for the kids dancing with the characters?

We love country music, but my little guy will probably not get up and dance. We thought there was something to watch as well, like the roper.

Is this really just a free-for-all dancing party? I thought there was some sort of organized show and a guy that does a roping demonstration, etc.? Is there nothing to watch except for the kids dancing with the characters?

We love country music, but my little guy will probably not get up and dance. We thought there was something to watch as well, like the roper.

I watched a few videos on youtube. I did see a line dancing part, a cowboy doing rope tricks, and a whole bunch of kids trying to dance with the characters...i would check out the posted videos if you are considering going. We have reservations for june. We didn't think our younger kids would sit through hoop de do... Wanted something where they could get up and move around.

We love MBYBBQ and go on most of our trips. The kids love the chance to interact with the characters in a different way by dancing with them - they prefer that more than the standard character meal/autograph book. DS was 6 months old the first time we went - he will be almost 7 when we go again next week! The food is okay, it is standard BBQ fare. It is also all you care to eat.

There is a show with a person doing rope tricks that is pretty entertaining, and then there is dancing with a live band and characters. They usually announce birthdays and anniversaries.

They have fruit punch, lemonade, ice tea and water for non alcoholic beverages. There are also unlimited beer and wine.

My kids also like the all you can eat mickey ice cream bars ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter