Anyone take a rice cooker?

So, a set up like this in the bathroom would not be acceptable, she asks innocently? :rolleyes1

cooking_hotel_room.jpg

Here is a cup-o-salmon, cooked with the coffee pot. But what a good idea to use that fishing pole and do cup-o-disneyfish.
qwewq.JPG

But personally, I am going to bring a blow torch with me. I can hang a steak in the closet on one of those hangers with the pants clips. Then I can sear the steak with my blow torch. Who needs a good steak house on vacation?
I'd be worried about 1) the open flames and 2) having a gallon of what is essentially gasoline in the hotel room while there's an open flame in it.

But I like the idea of the torch -- putting a rib eye on a coathanger and hitting each side with the torch will "cook" it just the way I like it!

Once again...I didn't expect people to just jump up and say...wow...that's for me.

I am relaying my experiences and for the one that said they couldn't afford that much, well did you see how many people were involved in that expenditure. I have stayed off site many times for $35.00 to $50.00 per night. No villa, just large hotel rooms. My experiences with them were far superior and far cheaper then anything I priced with on site Disney.

What I was saying is, and you can argue this until the cows come home, but with a little research there are good alternatives to on-site. Cheaper, better selection and better amenities to Disney Value resorts because one thing you are not getting with a value, is luxury. One can easily get better off site for less. If the experience is what you enjoy then that's what you need to do. But you can bet your bottom dollar that I would sooner stay economically off site then contemplate bringing along a rice cooker.

I think we'll all just have to agree to disagree. There are great options for staying off property, and there are perks to staying on property. Each family is different, and what works well for one doesn't work as well for another.

Personally, I stay on property because if I stayed off property I might as well stay home (since my house is closer WDW than it is to my job).

I will say that you don't have to cook in your room to save money on meals. Most (if not all by now) Disney rooms do have a fridge, so you can have sandwich fixings of all sorts, as well as breakfast items that don't need refrigeration, like cereal bars. I can remember on some of my earlier WDW trips I ate in the room more often than not, and never cooked a thing.

We always bring breakfast stuff, and when we drive we bring a small cooler for milk, etc. Disposable bowls and utensils (although we rinse/wash and reuse a lot) come in handy, too.

One can easily get better off site for less.

Staying on site or off is a personal decision with many factors taking part.

You state every opinion of yours as fact.

The main theme here is that your "better", is not the same as anyone else's "better."

Staying on site or off is a personal decision with many factors taking part.

You state every opinion of yours as fact.

The main theme here is that your "better", is not the same as anyone else's "better."

Actual prices are not opinion they are fact. Spend a few minutes on line and get some quotes.

I think I have stated that my better is not everyone's better. The discussion was how to enjoy Disney and not go bankrupt. Not who likes staying on site and who doesn't. Those who say that everyone has to stay on site to enjoy Disney are not better either. It's whatever one enjoys and what one can afford.

This was a discussion about what one can afford.

I'd be worried about 1) the open flames and 2) having a gallon of what is essentially gasoline in the hotel room while there's an open flame in it.

But I like the idea of the torch -- putting a rib eye on a coathanger and hitting each side with the torch will "cook" it just the way I like it!

If you're worried about the open flames, what about a tabletop griddle instead? :teeth: Then you could even do breakfast in the morning ..... mmmmmm is that bacon and eggs I smell? :love:

I think we'll all just have to agree to disagree. There are great options for staying off property, and there are perks to staying on property. Each family is different, and what works well for one doesn't work as well for another.

Personally, I stay on property because if I stayed off property I might as well stay home (since my house is closer WDW than it is to my job).

I will say that you don't have to cook in your room to save money on meals. Most (if not all by now) Disney rooms do have a fridge, so you can have sandwich fixings of all sorts, as well as breakfast items that don't need refrigeration, like cereal bars. I can remember on some of my earlier WDW trips I ate in the room more often than not, and never cooked a thing.

If they do have a fridge it is new since October of 2010. The value resorts offered a fridge at $10. per day. Hardly a bargain! The resorts where that perk is the most needed are the ones without it. Go figure!

I about died reading the translated text! Thanks for posting that :rotfl:

Thank you for bringing this back to making rice balls. All this on site off site stuff is :offtopic: :goodvibes

I may have to go buy some sushi rice now. I don't think I would ever eat sushi but may like the stuff you are talking about with the bonito flakes. I do like to eat the rice that has sat a bit in the rice cooker.

We mostly use jasmine or basmati rice but I do have some medium grain that may work.

I only stay on property, because one of the things I enjoy on my Disney vacations is some of the many delicious adult beverages at the resorts and at the parks (except MK of course). I therefore rely on Disney transportation.

If they do have a fridge it is new since October of 2010. The value resorts offered a fridge at $10. per day. Hardly a bargain! The resorts where that perk is the most needed are the ones without it. Go figure!

I agree with you on this point, and will be thrilled if my non-suite AoA room has a fridge in the room when we go in November. POP did not have a fridge in the room when we were there in June 2011.

I agree with you on this point, and will be thrilled if my non-suite AoA room has a fridge in the room when we go in November. POP did not have a fridge in the room when we were there in June 2011.

Supposedly all the value resorts were supposed to have them in by the end of April, but I haven't stayed in one personally since then to see if it's true. If you do a search on the web, there are even photos of them in place.

I only stay on property, because one of the things I enjoy on my Disney vacations is some of the many delicious adult beverages at the resorts and at the parks (except MK of course). I therefore rely on Disney transportation.

Good point!:thumbsup2

Me too! I look forward to knowing that I can have a glass of wine with dinner, or a beer in Germany (or 2) and I don't have to worry about the ride home.

All value resorts now have refrigerators.

I don't agree with the comment about how the value resorts were the ones who need them the most. Some people (like me) actually like the theming of the value resorts. People don't just stay at them to try and be cheap.

All value resorts now have refrigerators.

I don't agree with the comment about how the value resorts were the ones who need them the most. Some people (like me) actually like the theming of the value resorts. People don't just stay at them to try and be cheap.

Personally, I think all hotels in Florida, regardless of the room rate, should have a refrigerator. Between the bugs and the humidity, you need a place to stash the snacks. I always have some kind of snacks or breakfast food in the room - not to save money as much as to save time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter