Anyone still take stroller for a 5 year old?

We've been debating this too. We're bringing our kids two months before our son turns 5. We're starting to wonder if we'll have to pay to bring strollers on the plane. If so would it be better to rent one (I have to check out the prices of that still)? We haven't completely figured this out yet. I guess we'll see. Thanks for all the info here though!
~Christy

We're flying Jetblue. I checked their website. I forget the term, but since a stroller counts as a mobilty assistance thing, it's free.

And the prices to rent went UP a few months ago.

Thanks so much! I just checked out United's website and carseats and strollers are still free so that's a relief. I think we'll bring one for DS then. The double is a bit of a pain to get around with (on and off buses or other transports) so I think we'll do 2 umbrella strollers.
~Christy

Yes we used a stroller for our then 5 yo DD. It was the best decision we made down there LOL. It really helped out a lot and we were able to do so much more!

I think it has as much to do with the adults in your group as the kids. My Mom (Age 71) and myself (Age 51) took two of my nieces to WDW last November. They were ages 3 and 6. There was no question of taking a stroller for the 3 year old but we did debate about taking a second one for the six year old.

In the end we took one and were so glad we did! During most of the day she walked and we just parked the stroller in a central location. However, at night when she was tired she needed it. Neither of the adults in the party would have been able to carry her. Her Dad couldn't believe we took a stroller for her, but admitted that he often carries her back to the car when they attend late night activities at home.

So my question is, Do you have a strong adult who can easily carry your son if he gets worn out? If not, I would suggest a stroller.

Donna

DH and I went in December and took two MacLaren Volo's for DD, who was 5 at the time, and DS who was 1. It was the best decision. She walked alot and we used her stroller for packages and stuff, but when she was tired (especially at night), I was so thankful we had the stroller.

The MacLarens are so lightweight and easy to fold up. We will be going again in January and will not hesitate to bring the strollers again - DD will be 6.5 years old and DS will be 2.75 years old.

BTW: DD does not use a stroller at any other time.

When we are home I wouldn't even think of bring a stroller for her. We went to the Bronx Zoo which is very large. We were there for over 7 hours, only the last 10 mins did she start complaining. Disney is very different, your not talking about just spending a day there. We are going for 11 days. We usually get to the parks around 10pm, stay until 5pm and then go to dinner, then back to our room. So we usually take it easy with breaks in between and yet even with a stroller the kids get tired. I wouldn't even think of going to Disney without one. She doesn't use it all day but the last few hours she needs it. When she not in it I use it to carry our backpacks. We also go in August when it's bruatlly hot so that takes a toll on you after a while!

I didn't take one for the 5 year old when we went in 2005 -- that was beginning of July, my 8 year old had turned 5 in May of that year. He did perfectly fine. Other than a gazillion bathroom breaks.

Of course, we had sit-down meals for lunch, etc... My DH was actually slower than the kids, so not a problem there. We don't do commando but we did all the parks in 7 days and did a LOT of running around.

I had a 1 year old with us & that is who used the stroller.

Just wondering as we're preparing - what stroller do you use? I saw someone mention the Maclaren but I'm not planning on spending a lot. But many of the strollers are up to 40 lbs and 43 inches - DS is tall so he's 44 inches and about 40 lbs. Any suggestions on an inexpensive but decent lightweight stroller that goes up to 50ish lbs?
Thanks,
Christy

We use the Jeep Umbrella stroller. The rated limit is 35 lbs, but my 4 and 5 year old have no problems with it if they need a rest an DD2 needs to walk. Its only about $30
Here's a video of us, showing the DD2 and the DD5 in it.
Stroller Review
It is agreat stroller. With the big front wheels, they never go sideways like the cheapo umbrella stroller. We've had it over 3 years now!

We totally regretted NOT taking a stroller for our 5 year old. Biggest mistake we made! :rotfl:

Just shows how folks are different as we totally regretted dragging our Maclaren Volo when the kids were 4 and 2. Next year when they are 4 and 6 we are most definately NOT taking one. To me it was a huge PITA getting it off and on the buses and trying to find it after the CM's moved it 20 times.:headache:And my kids would almost always rather be walking. I think OP if your kids are used to walking a lot(mine are) and you take their needs into consideration, take rest breaks, etc. you really don't need one for a five year old.

I think OP if your kids are used to walking a lot(mine are) and you take their needs into consideration, take rest breaks, etc. you really don't need one for a five year old.

:thumbsup2 Completely agree. My five yr old was fine. I was actually VERY surprised by some of the older children in strollers. I saw one family that the kid appeared to be 9 or 10. If the kid can hop out and go drive a car (by himself) on the Tomorrowland Speedway. He can walk the park.

:thumbsup2 Completely agree. My five yr old was fine. I was actually VERY surprised by some of the older children in strollers. I saw one family that the kid appeared to be 9 or 10. If the kid can hop out and go drive a car (by himself) on the Tomorrowland Speedway. He can walk the park.

Oh, people, PLEASE do not start this stuff again. You cannot tell from looking at a child who may appear to be healthy, whether or not he "needs" the stroller - even if he sprouts wings and flies over the castle.

Oh, people, PLEASE do not start this stuff again. You cannot tell from looking at a child who may appear to be healthy, whether or not he "needs" the stroller - even if he sprouts wings and flies over the castle.

What do you mean start this stuff again. This was only my second post on this thread, and I didn't start anything. So, how about you not start anything.:thumbsup2

Definitely - My daughter is small (47lb) and we took one this year when she was almost 7. I love it for my backpack and water too!

This has been something that we have been debating about for awhile. My son will be 5 when we go to Disney in May. He is 4 now, and doesn't use a stroller anymore, hasn't for some time.

We have decided that we are going to take a stroller for him though. What finally made up our minds? We went to the Circus the weekend before last, and he fell asleep during the end of it. My husband had to carry him up all the stairs, out of the stadium (packed with people), then all the way to the car. He looked at me then, and said "Yep, we are taking a stroller to Disney." We can just see him falling asleep during the fireworks (he did on the 4th of July), and us having to carry him back to the resort.

If he doesn't use it during the day, we can at least have it to put our stuff in (like the backpack with their extra clothes). Saves me from having to tote everything around all day.

Exactly why i had no question about bringing a cheap/small fold up (not umbrella) stroller with for DD6 this year. With 2 adults and 2 kids, never had much issue folding up our small stroller to get it on the bus. The biggest problem was usually holding on to DD when bus was packed if we didn't have a seat.

We stick pretty close to sleep/wake schedules but with all the magic & excitement, DD ALWAYS dozes off in the stroller on the way to resort/busses even if it is just after Wishes and 8:30pm. We "train" for disney with family walks in the evenings and kids are healthy, lean & active but benefit of bringing the stroller at airport for lugging our carryons and at end of day at WDW far outweighs inconvenience of bringing it. We gate check the stroller. Most of time in parks this year with DD6 and DS8, stroller was parked with our water bottles, etc. but SO WORTH it for the walk out at the end of the day! Probably will bring for one last trip when DD is 7!

Are you one of those people who makes remarks to someone with a handicapped license plate who "appears" to be healthy and able when they park at a reserved parking space?

To everyone else--Live your life independent of the good opinion of others. If using a stroller for your child helps YOU and works best for YOUR vacation, never mind the judgement of others.

I will never rent one again, after the last trip. We learned the hard way that the time you need the stroller MOST is from the bus to the room! All three of mine knocked out on the bus, so between me and mom, we had to hold the 2 yr old, push the 5 year old in the stroller, and lead the sleepwalking 4 year old who kept trying to lay down on the sidewalk! So I'm bringing my umbrella AND leading up a double swap!

I saw one family that the kid appeared to be 9 or 10. If the kid can hop out and go drive a car (by himself) on the Tomorrowland Speedway. He can walk the park.

Please don't judge a book by it's cover.

That may have been my son that you saw.

He has always been OFF the charts for height vs. age = age 8 he was 5 feet tall.

Could you tell by looking at him that he had a brain tumor cut out of his brain and the scar tissue from the surgery was blocking the normal circulation of cerebral fluid in his cervical spine causing leg pain and thus making his legs tire very quickly?

Probably not.

Yep, he was able to drive a car at the Speedway but so can many 3 and 4 year olds and they still ride in strollers. Could he walk 15 miles in one day? Nope.

OP: Please do what is best for your child and ignore what other, often closed minded, people think. Little legs take twice as many steps as big legs so 10 miles a day in the parks for a grown up = 20 miles for a little one. Making your child comfortable is what is most important...not proving that your child is a super stud and can walk the parks all day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter