• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone still going to WDW even with all the talk about a recession?

No trip this year for us....but we didn't have one planned either. We were there for a very big...very pricey trip in February 2007 with family (14 of us). So we have planned another trip for October or December 2009. We are saving for it. As long as we have the cash saved we will probably go unless one of us loses our job....I do however have a small car trip planned over the summer and am thinking about cancelling that....just to get the emergency savings padded some more.....I know this is all a lot of media hype but it does get you thinking.

Good Luck!

We are going. We had a trip planned and had saved for it. So we are going.
I would argue that several industries have been in recession for a while now. For us, plan accordingly and live your life.

OP, I would go, this will be a "memory-trip", you will regret later if you don't go.
However, I would make it a budget trip (no idea what you have planned though, it might even be more budget!): staying at a value hotel, no signature dining, ...
It's not the hotel or the more expensive food that makes a good Disney vacation or makes the magic. The magic is what WE make from it, the memories you'll have when you come back.
Having memories from your grandmother having a good time at WDW will be very important for you later on, and it won't matter whether it was at the Poly, Pop or offsite!

We have just started putting money back into our savings. I think that is where the guilt comes in. We don't have the recommended amount but I am happy as a couple of years ago, we didn't even have savings. Only half the return will go toward the trip, the other half will go to savings.

I am pretty comfortable with my job. Of course nothing is guaranteed. But where I have worked, I have seen layoffs at the top or middle management. I am neither of that. DH is a teacher and there is a teacher shortage where we are so I am pretty sure he is safe as well. But you never know.

I think that everyone has a different level of tolerance for risk in times like we have now. It sounds like you have at least started your savings, which I take to mean an emergency fund. Even if you take the trip, keep working on building that up to 6 months of expenses. You have one job in your family that sounds "recession proof". If your level of consumer debt is low, I'd probably go.

I read threads here all of the time where people are taking trips despite having CC debt, no retirement savings and unless they lose their jobs, a recession isn't likely to change that. Those folks will always tell you to "Go!! Life is too short!!" ;). Then you have people like me who tend to batten down the hatches and play things more conservatively.

We have no plans for Disney this year, but we did have plans for Italy. Even though we have no debt, substantial retirement savings and a very solid emergency fund we won't take that trip. We have an elderly dog who is having lots of problems. In light of the economy we decided to dip into our vacation fund and not our emergency fund to care for him. DH was laid off in 2003 after the dot.com bust. That was a full year and a half after the recession was over. So from my experience, these things take awhile to to trickle down to us common folk ;). This is not the time to raid the emergency fund if you can avoid it.

We're fiscal conservatives, and so we've decided to cut back our discretionary spending by half, pad the emergency fund even further, and if our dog's health stabilizes, we'll take a week long vacation somewhere in the US where our dollar will go much further than it will in Europe.

nope, i just cancelled our april trip this morning. we're scaling WAAAY back and taking off to gatlinburg for a few days. i hope the money we save by doing this will go toward a trip next year.

That is what we are doing too. I can do Gatlinburg and Dollywood for much cheaper than DW. We just went to DW in May of 2007, so we're good with that.

Dh has a very secure job but food costs have gone way up, so we're scaling back too.

I will likely not go to Orlando again until Harry Potter is up and running at IOA. That will give me time to save and pre-pay what I can.

I think a lot of the coming recession is media hype. Of course there are always industries that suffer from time to time. Remember a few years ago when all you heard on the news is how in trouble airlines where? It was predicted that is would soon be too expensive to fly, airlines would go under, etc. Well, the airline tickets we bought for our May trip are almost exactly what we paid in 2003. :confused3 I don't get it.

Now all you hear on the news is the subprime mortgage people causing the mortgage industry to be in trouble. I'm sure that industry will come out fine also.

As far as a recession, I know 1 person that got laid off this year. An engineer. He got another job in 2-3 weeks. I don't know anyone else with problems, or anyone that is worried. I honestly think a lot of it is hype for the election year. Just my opinion. :goodvibes I'm sure some of you will disagree with me, and that's okay.

I think a lot of the coming recession is media hype. Of course there are always industries that suffer from time to time. Remember a few years ago when all you heard on the news is how in trouble airlines where? It was predicted that is would soon be too expensive to fly, airlines would go under, etc. Well, the airline tickets we bought for our May trip are almost exactly what we paid in 2003. :confused3 I don't get it.

Now all you hear on the news is the subprime mortgage people causing the mortgage industry to be in trouble. I'm sure that industry will come out fine also.

As far as a recession, I know 1 person that got laid off this year. An engineer. He got another job in 2-3 weeks. I don't know anyone else with problems, or anyone that is worried. I honestly think a lot of it is hype for the election year. Just my opinion. :goodvibes I'm sure some of you will disagree with me, and that's okay.

I could not agree with you more, IMHO the housing market crash is its own undoing. The sub prime mortgage mess has no one to blame but the companies that financed the loans; they gave huge mortgages to people they new darn well couldn't afford huge houses or huge mortgage payments and they wonder why people are defaulting?:confused3 I think everyone has to take a "chill pill" and calm down. The media also needs to stop the recession watch every day! It is only making people nervous and keeps them from spending money which is the real source of the slow down in the economy! Ok I am off my soap box now! :rolleyes1

Yes, we are going. 2008 is our "on year" for Disney. :thumbsup2

We are going in October and everything will be paid for in cash so we won't be incurring any debt. Every payday we put money in a special vacation savings account. We have 1/2 of the cost of the package and money for airfare covered already.

Nope. Its too darn expensive for us to justify spending that kind of money and we are fla residents! I think Fla is going to take a big hit with tourism and a recession.

:cool1: Definetly going, just booked out trip this morning. Although Iam a bit upset at the $1,000.00 increase from last years trip :scared1: But, we had to go, we love it so much. :banana:

WE were going in June and the 5 thousand I would have to spend was just to much. I am still upset that Disney has raised prices on everything from food to locker fees? WE went last year and we are going to Dollywood in June it is not WDW but it will be much easier on my wallet and mind.

We are planning a trip for late Aug. We are hoping that they offer a free dining package for that time frame(doubtful, but you never know) Anyway, if no free dining then will either pay OOP for the dining plan or do a split stay 6 days w/ dining and 6/wo

As far as a resession, there is some writing on the wall but that can be erased with some work. Now if the media will let things cool down a bit, I really feel that things will work out fine. Yes some people will be laid off but remember layoffs happen everyday and that most find another job in a short amount of time(1 month or less) according to statistics.

Go for us - you know we will have to live vicariously through your family. Have fun, your grandmother would love the experience.

I, too, believe that much of the so-called recession is just media hype as well - bad news sells many more newpapers and tv commercials! The 2007 holiday shopping season was right on target and spoken from a realtor friend "much of the mortage crisis has been brought on by people who are buying way more expensive houses than they can afford and having to foreclose when their adjustable rates rise."
Beside if everyone stops spending and stops traveling, that will only add to any recession. When people no longer buy stocks, it causes the stock market to crash! So I'm doing my part and spending some of our hard-earned money going to WDW. I will help this economy, Disney dollar by Disney dollar!

Well, my DH is in the mortgage busines (and has been for 15+ years) and he would disgree completely with you on this statement. He can't even begin to count the number of lenders that have closed over the past year. Lenders are tightening their standards and the number of people with the available equity and credit score to purchase or refinance is almost nil. It is a very volatile industry. For instance, after the rate drop by the Fed the other day, lenders were sending out new rate sheets hourly and they weren't for the good. His outlook on the mortgage industry is not positive at all and is seriously considering a career change.

I am thankful that I have a career in a industry that is based more on global trends and development rather than domestic events. While I am not all doom and gloom, I know that there will be plenty of people in a world of trouble over the next few years (some - if not most - of it do to their own financial irresponsibility.)

We sure are. What a better way to deal with the depression of a recession by going to the Happiest Place on Earth?!?!? :rotfl: J/K. We actually take a different view of vacation. DH and I work opposite shifts. We barely see each other during the week. We work long hours in high stress jobs. DD spends 9 hours a day at day care. We look at our vacations as rare "family time" Yes, it's sad that it takes a vacation for us to spend quality time together but that's the reality of our lives. So things would have to get pretty bad for me to give up the one thing I look forward to all year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter