Anyone stay at Great Wolf Lodge in Sandusky OH ??

coastermom

<font color=red>Proud Redhead<br><font color=peach
Looking to take the kiddies to Cedar Point this summer before my girls only trip to WDW . The rooms on the point ar really expensive :scared1::eek:.. Like too expensive for Ohio .. So we are looking at the Great Wolf lodge and were wondering if it is any good ? clean ? and was it worth the price it is about $500 cheaper then staying on the point . Any information is helpful guys !! Thanks in advance ...:)

Staying on Point is outragous. Its way too expensive and the rooms are not that nice. We have stayed at GWL before and I thought it was very nice and clean. The water park is pretty good sized and has a nice variety of slides.

I don't know how much time you are planning to be at the waterpark itself but you may want to consider Kalahari, which is just up the road. If you had younger kids, I would recommend GWL all the way but with your kids being older, they would probably LOVE Kalahari. Its several times bigger then GWL and has so much more to offer. The prices tend to be about the same at both GWL and Kalahari.

We stayed at GWL and loved it. It is very clean We also paid the extra fee and had the family style breakfast which was wonderful

I haven't been to gwl in Sandusky but have been to the one net kings island. It was nice and clean. I have been to kalahari in Sandusky and I loved it! Would pick it over gwl easily.

I haven't been to gwl in Sandusky but have been to the one net kings island. It was nice and clean. I have been to kalahari in Sandusky and I loved it! Would pick it over gwl easily.

Thanks guys I am going to check out this Kalahari resort ... years ago we were at CP and stayed at Castaway Bay which was small and expensive ... We may not really use the water park too much but then again if the kids love it and want a break from the park it maybe the way to go ! We have Dorney park / Cedar Fair platinum passes so we have access to the water park at Cedar Point as well . I just worry about it being clean and nice ... :thumbsup2

Kalahari Sandusky is really nice, However, word of warning, their restaurants (except the grill INSIDE the indoor waterpark part) are horrible and expensive. So, I would plan to just drive somewhere else for meals instead of wasting your $ on food at kalahari. We found it disappointing, b/c kalahari at wisconsin dells had really wonderful food, but I guess most ppl who have stayed at the sandusky one will readily admit that the food is terrible and over-priced. Luckily, there are so many places down the street that you can drive to, to eat at.

Kalahari Sandusky is really nice, However, word of warning, their restaurants (except the grill INSIDE the indoor waterpark part) are horrible and expensive. So, I would plan to just drive somewhere else for meals instead of wasting your $ on food at kalahari. We found it disappointing, b/c kalahari at wisconsin dells had really wonderful food, but I guess most ppl who have stayed at the sandusky one will readily admit that the food is terrible and over-priced. Luckily, there are so many places down the street that you can drive to, to eat at.

I may be in the minority but I don't think the food at Kalahari is horrible plus it is no more overpriced than any other resort food in any other place of its kind. I think their pizza is good and we ate many meals at Kahunaville since our last stay at Kalahari included meals and the whole family thought the food was pretty good.

When we stay somewhere, I can't be bothered dressing up and going someplace else to eat. If we were staying at Kalahari and spending the day at Cedar Point that may be different to stop somewhere on the way back at the end of the day , but if I was exclusively at Kalahari , I wouldn't leave to go eat. To me thats like being at the MK and getting in the car and driving off property to eat a meal. Not a big deal to some. For me and my family never never never.

I agree though with the PP's. Kalahari is a million times better than GWL.

We just got back from a 3 night trip there with two days at Cedar Point. With the ages of your kids, I agree with the pp to look into Kalahari. The GWL's water park is pretty small for older kids, younger kids it would be great. My dds are 12 and 9 and would spend an hour or so each time at the water park and then they were done (some of that time was spent in the hot tub).

It was a great trip though (although we spent the whole trip comparing CP to WDW:rolleyes1.)

Emily

I have stayed at both but at Wisonsin Dells not OH. Same as states above, GWL would be better for younger kids and Kalahari for older kids (by older I only mean about 8). Kalahari also has better themes.

Neither are cheap we spend as much there as we do when we go to Disney.

I've been to the GWL in Sandusky and it was nasty compared to the one in Traverse City, MI. The rooms were dirty, the water park area was dirty with food all over the floor. I wouldn't go back even if a great discount was offered.

My kids are older now 16, 15, and 12 and our last trip to GWL in MI 2 summers ago, the oldest was bored and felt like he was too old at 15 to be there. We want to try Kalahari but the prices again are just too steep...

Have fun whatever you decide!!!

We stayed there a few years ago when the kids were younger and really enjoyed it. We have also stayed at Castaway Bay and found it to be cheaper than both GWL and Kalahari when you factor in the Cedar Point tickets and the bonuses that come along with it. I will say that of the three, CB is the least exciting of the three but worth it if you are doing the Point as well.

We are looking to go back to Cedar Point this fall and are torn between staying at Kalahari and buying passes for CP at AAA or stying at Castaway Bay again. I have to say that the hour early entry is a real plus if you and your group are coaster fanatics like us!

We stayed there a few years ago when the kids were younger and really enjoyed it. We have also stayed at Castaway Bay and found it to be cheaper than both GWL and Kalahari when you factor in the Cedar Point tickets and the bonuses that come along with it. I will say that of the three, CB is the least exciting of the three but worth it if you are doing the Point as well.

We are looking to go back to Cedar Point this fall and are torn between staying at Kalahari and buying passes for CP at AAA or stying at Castaway Bay again. I have to say that the hour early entry is a real plus if you and your group are coaster fanatics like us!

Yeah we are coaster fanatics !! this is a family vacation so we are in the area for 5 days ... Kalahari sounds wonderful but it is $500 more then GWL ... I am thinking of dumping the idea of the waterpark hotel and going for a "normal " hotel ... anyone stay somewhere not on the island and get a good price ?? I would like a name brand hotel ... I may just book breakers and not worry about the suites for 5 and just squeeze it for the week ... I need queen sized beds but and that seems to be an issue !! UGH

We just stayed at GWL Sandusky last week. It was great! The rooms were clean and big......we were on the 4th floor and had a private balcony. We booked early(March) and got a family suite for $174 a night with the breakfast. It was a great deal.

The waterpark was clean and lifegaurds are everywhere.
Check in was fast and the staff was nice and friendly..
The breakfast was good. They also had an omelet station open duing our visit.

We looked at staying onsite at Cedar Point but we just could justify the cost and really the only perk you get is 1 hour early entry into the park....

We were so impresed with GWL that we are lookig at staying at the Mason Ohio GWL next year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter