Anyone stay at Desert Inn? Any reviews?

disneyerin

DIS Veteran
We're thinking of staying at the Desert Inn on Harbor. Any feedback? Also, is it directly across from the Harbor entrance or is it down the road a bit?

I have stayed there before and I have booked it for my June trip.

It suits my needs as I just want somewhere to store my luggage, sleep and shower. Its a basic motel with outside corridors, an indoor pool and basic food.

Yes it is directly across the street from the pedestrian entrance. I timed it at 7 minutes walk from my room to bag check, depending on the traffic lights at the crosswalk.

Some people have issues because it is so basic but it is one of the closest places to stay.

We stayed there in June, 2021. It was clean, the wifi worked well, and it's very convenient. We would stay there again.

I stayed there last week. It is basic but clean and suited our needs. I will say the water pressure was terrible (not sure if this is an issue in all rooms). It is directly across the street, very convenient. The breakfast is cold cereal, packaged pastries and fruit. There are lockers to store bags after check out. We found the staff very helpful, they stored a car seat that wouldn't fit in the lockers and were very helpful when my friend left her laptop in the room.

I booked here by looking at google earth - street view. Im coming out of the hotel- make a right- Pass the IHOP to the light- cross the street-- there is the esplanade

The last time I stayed was several years ago. As others have said, it accommodates basic needs, and has one of the closest proximities to the gates of Disneyland. Beds were pretty stiff the last I stayed, half of the parking is underground in a garage. If you don't need a lot of "fluff" then this will likely suit you. If you're expecting an upscale atmosphere, I would look into a Marriott chain hotel.

I stayed there last week. It is basic but clean and suited our needs. I will say the water pressure was terrible (not sure if this is an issue in all rooms). It is directly across the street, very convenient. The breakfast is cold cereal, packaged pastries and fruit. There are lockers to store bags after check out. We found the staff very helpful, they stored a car seat that wouldn't fit in the lockers and were very helpful when my friend left her laptop in the room.
Thanks for the recent review. We love this hotel as it meets all our main needs and is so close!!! Last time we were there the breakfast had what you said but also toast, hard boiled eggs, etc. Have the really cut back on their breakfast since Covid or were you just giving a brief overview? Thanks!!!

Last time we were there the breakfast had what you said but also toast, hard boiled eggs, etc. Have the really cut back on their breakfast since Covid or were you just giving a brief overview? Thanks!!!
I think they have cut back. There was no toast or eggs, it was just cereal, pastries, fruit and beverages (milk, juice and coffee).

Thank you for your review. You mentioned that you can store your items in lockers after check out. Can you use the lockers before checking in as well? Is there a cost?

Also, we are staying at the Grand Californian after staying here. What would be the best way to get our luggage to Grand Californian? Can we just walk over there?

Thank you for your review. You mentioned that you can store your items in lockers after check out. Can you use the lockers before checking in as well? Is there a cost?

Also, we are staying at the Grand Californian after staying here. What would be the best way to get our luggage to Grand Californian? Can we just walk over there?
For getting luggage to Grand Californian, you can call an Uber/Lyft and have them help you bring it over so you're not lugging your bags around the hot Socal sun. At Grand Californian, if you're moving your bags before checking in, bell services will store it for you (including any items that need refrigeration) and once you check in in the afternoon, you just need to call bell services again to get your bags brought to your room.

Yes, I'm sure you could store luggage in the lockers prior to check in as well. They use quarters, I think it was $1.50 the front desk gave me change

I think they have cut back. There was no toast or eggs, it was just cereal, pastries, fruit and beverages (milk, juice and coffee).
Was it only grab & go bag type of breakfast or is the breakfast room actually open for you to sit and eat? My son & GF will be there in June and I’d like to give him heads up thx

Was it only grab & go bag type of breakfast or is the breakfast room actually open for you to sit and eat? My son & GF will be there in June and I’d like to give him heads up thx
My parents stayed there in March and it was grab& go, but recently they switched to breakfast room and a few more options. We are staying there in July.

I've been to DI&S twice this month (last time was last weekend).

As far as distance to the pedestrian entrance, you'll go from your room to the front of the property. You'll turn to the right, and go the width of the property, then the width of the next property. Then you'll be in front of IHOP, which is the light at the pedestrian entrance. Generally, it takes me 2-3 minutes to get to the crosswalk; 2 if I'm by myself, 3 if I'm dragging a still-sleepy grandkid behind me.

Regarding rooms, they are basic but clean. I usually do the executive room, sometimes just their basic 2-queen room. The executive rooms are $10 more than their regular rooms, and have a bit more space and a couch, which is especially nice to lounge on. The beds are firm, but okay after the long days in the park. Bathrooms are basic as well; the shower and toilet are in their own room, so you someone can be using the vanity while someone else is showering. Much appreciated when Hubs and I have a grandkid with us that also showers in the morning. The water can be a bit frustrating. There's always plenty of hot water, however sometimes it goes back and forth between warm and hot throughout your shower. No biggy for adults, more challenging for younger shower'ers, obviously.

Breakfast is now packaged danishes, fruit (I think I've seen apples and bananas, maybe oranges), 3 kinds of cereals (fruit loops, raisin bran, and rice krispies, I think), oatmeal, and some bread options. Milk, coffee and juice to drink. Fancy? Heck now. Reasonable start to the day? Completely.

We don't use the pool. It's indoors, but many times the chlorine smell is strong even outside. Years ago, I ended up with folliculitis and a chemical sensitivity (burn, basically) after taking a dip in the hot tub, so I've never even tried that again. (I couldn't put pants on. At Disneyland. In January. How the heck do you avoid pants in January?! Shorts don't cut it in 40º weather for this Oregon girl.) A pool maintenance guy once told me that if the chlorine smell is strong and not just "a little fragrance" that the chemicals are out of whack and that they are using too much chlorine rather than assessing the problem, so I've just stayed away from it.

Desert Inn and Suites is my general go-to. There's some not great parts (the pool and "firm" beds), but it does the job I need at a lower price point than other places on Harbor!

Someone above asked about the lockers. They are coin operated, and $1.50 (quarters only to pay). No in/out privileges; each time you open it, it's another $1.50 to close it. You can use it past check out time without an issue.

I've been to DI&S twice this month (last time was last weekend).

As far as distance to the pedestrian entrance, you'll go from your room to the front of the property. You'll turn to the right, and go the width of the property, then the width of the next property. Then you'll be in front of IHOP, which is the light at the pedestrian entrance. Generally, it takes me 2-3 minutes to get to the crosswalk; 2 if I'm by myself, 3 if I'm dragging a still-sleepy grandkid behind me.

Regarding rooms, they are basic but clean. I usually do the executive room, sometimes just their basic 2-queen room. The executive rooms are $10 more than their regular rooms, and have a bit more space and a couch, which is especially nice to lounge on. The beds are firm, but okay after the long days in the park. Bathrooms are basic as well; the shower and toilet are in their own room, so you someone can be using the vanity while someone else is showering. Much appreciated when Hubs and I have a grandkid with us that also showers in the morning. The water can be a bit frustrating. There's always plenty of hot water, however sometimes it goes back and forth between warm and hot throughout your shower. No biggy for adults, more challenging for younger shower'ers, obviously.

Breakfast is now packaged danishes, fruit (I think I've seen apples and bananas, maybe oranges), 3 kinds of cereals (fruit loops, raisin bran, and rice krispies, I think), oatmeal, and some bread options. Milk, coffee and juice to drink. Fancy? Heck now. Reasonable start to the day? Completely.

We don't use the pool. It's indoors, but many times the chlorine smell is strong even outside. Years ago, I ended up with folliculitis and a chemical sensitivity (burn, basically) after taking a dip in the hot tub, so I've never even tried that again. (I couldn't put pants on. At Disneyland. In January. How the heck do you avoid pants in January?! Shorts don't cut it in 40º weather for this Oregon girl.) A pool maintenance guy once told me that if the chlorine smell is strong and not just "a little fragrance" that the chemicals are out of whack and that they are using too much chlorine rather than assessing the problem, so I've just stayed away from it.

Desert Inn and Suites is my general go-to. There's some not great parts (the pool and "firm" beds), but it does the job I need at a lower price point than other places on Harbor!

Someone above asked about the lockers. They are coin operated, and $1.50 (quarters only to pay). No in/out privileges; each time you open it, it's another $1.50 to close it. You can use it past check out time without an issue.
Thank you so much for the detailed review.

This was my chosen hotel for our first time ever family trip to DL. I have been there twice, but just to spend the day by myself. The family has never been to California.

As I will not have a car (I'm returning it the day we check in at the resort), proximity is a huge benefit for the 3 dedicated days we will do DisneyLand.

I think the only was I would cancel Desert inn and suites is if Candy Cane Inn opens up before end of August. Doesn't look like it's going to happen though...

We stayed here in 2015--best combination of price (especially for small suites) and location. We had a longer stay in November, had booked a parlor suite, but when we arrived we were upgraded to a family parlor suite for free. Our kids (both under 10 at the time) really liked the pool--most of the time we had it all to ourselves.

We planned to stay there this past May, but had to cancel due to coming down with covid the day of our departure--we decided it was best to try again in June, but there wasn't anything available there, and so we'll be at the Alamo Inn instead--we'll see how that goes.

The key to getting the best rates though is to book early--try for about a year ahead if possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter