• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

anyone stationed at MacDill in FL??

debm

<font color=deeppink>Whose goal is to get the WDW
Anyone stationed in Tampa?? We are up for a job assignment this summer and really don't want to move from our current location. Tampa is a possibility and I am wondering how others like it? I'm also posting another thread for San Antonio since we could move there too. Need help making decisions since we are moving 4 kids --one of which needs special services at school and good medical care. Thanks!!

I'm not at MacDill, but would love to get there! We have flown into Tampa a few times and gone on base for Commissary/BX runs before heading to DVC. They are putting in a lot of new housing, it looked like.

And their Commissary/BX/class six is great! Not sure about anything else though! Sorry.

We are also up to move next summer, but alas no jobs at MacDill open for DH.

What career field? DH is CE

Hi, Pooh Bear. Thanks! I'm not sure if we even want to move from St. Louis. :( I don't ---but then again, I wonder what it would be like somewhere else! My DH is a navigator but now has a desk job here at Scott AFB. I think it is easier for me to just stay here yet in so many ways I want to try something new. We are slated to go on the Panama Canal Crossing on the Magic in August and I'm worried that if we move then he might not get the leave to go. It would definitely be easier to get home from Port Canaveral if we lived in Tampa! Do you like MA? Where might you go? Happy Holidays!

Oooh...sorry to hikjack your thread, but tell me all about Scott! That is one of the bases on my DH wish list/places where jobs are open.... I am not sure how I like the sounds of it, but havent talked to anyone who has been there. OUr other choices are Shaw(SC), Peterson (CO), Langely and Norfolk (VA), and Offut. I would love Peterson, I think, but Shaw & Scott would be better career moves for DH, I guess.

We do love Mass...but we are a bit of homesteaders! THis is our home state and DH has had 2 assignments at Hanscom and one ROTC(now). Hanscom is a beautiful area, close to Boston. Loved living on base up there our first assignment. if you dont live on base, housing is very expensive, which is the HUGE downside to New England. We live 40 miles from the base as that was the most afforable housing - for the size style house we wanted (We bought)....(I also work 15 miles from our home) If you have kids, Mass is a great area. Tons of history, activities, year round stuff. You are close to VT, NH for skiing (and for completely tax free shopping in NH - MA is tax free clothes and food) You are close to the coast of MA, NH, RI and ME. I'm a little biased, but other than the cost of living...MA is great! Hanscom itself is a bit of a quiet base. I think they might only have like one plane, and mostly for research...there is tons of research type stuff at Hanscom. It's a small active duty base with a large retiremnt population. If you have medical needs, you can not beat Massachusetts. You are close to many of the best hosptials.

Hi, PoohBear. Oh---Scott is the best!!! I lived at Shaw when I was 8-9 years old. I'm sure things have changed but it was the worst school system I was ever in. We would not opt to go there. Remember, these are just my opinions. Wherever you go it will be great!! Peterson, is nice. CO Springs is a nice town but growing all the time. It is very pretty. If I remember correctly Peterson is more on the South side. Lots of nice houses up north near the Academy. I don't know about housing near Peterson. VA--I spent 8 years there while Dad was at the Pentagon. My DH was offered a job at the Pentagon yesterday but I don't think it is for us. To live where we would want to live he would have a 2 hour commute!! I'm not as familiar with Norfolk.

Now, Scott. We dearly love it here. St. Louis is a wonderful city. There are many things available and so close. Today I'm taking my daughter to the Nutcracker ballet and it will only take us about 25 minutes to drive in and park. We live on the Illinois side between STL and Scott. We live in O'Fallon. Many people from the base live here yet there are many that live on base and the surrounding communities. You have everything you need ---small town living, farm town living, more city living. The base is big and has nice facilities. the hospitals in STL are great. STL has the Cardinals, Rams and other sports opportunities. I feel like there is a lot to do yet I don't feel like I live close to a big city. Please email me any time and I can give you info. If this would be best for your hubby's career I would highly recommend it. The weather is nice too. Usually mild winters but we do have snow. Just ask.....

Thanks Deb for the info! This has been really helpful! Hope you find the info you need about MacDill!

My dad was stationed at Macdill from 1989-1992. He left the A.F. in '92, so I haven't been there since, but I loved it when we were there. It is a very pretty base.

Hi! I am stationed here at MacDill and I LOVE it! I work at SOCOM (Special Operations Command) and not on the 'normal' part of base, but that doesn't matter! The base is gorgeous...they are making all new base housing...right across from the water. Plus...we can go to Disney :earboy2: whenever we want...that makes it perfect no matter what! Lol. The Tampa area is great too. You can see the city skyline across the water from base. There is So much to do!!

Hi. Thanks for the info. SOCOM is where my DH said he would work. So when you say it is not on the "normal" part of the base, what do you mean? Can I ask where you live-how far is your commute? It is hard for me just looking at a map. How are the schools?? Not that we have that much choice where the AF sends us!! but we want to be able to preference. He got a job offer at the Pentagon but I don't know if we really want to go there. Thanks!!

Lol...it's a little hard to explain when you can't see it right now! But SOCOM is On the base...in it's own secure area. If you aren't SOCOM, you can't get into that area (or, you aren't supposed to). It is a MUCH better place to work than the main base and then Centcom (another secure area on base). We have our own clinic and things like that.

I live in Port Tampa, which is Right off base. What area's are you looking at?? There are a MILLION schools around. Some good and some bad. Lol. My mom is a teacher she may know that better than I, if you know where you will live. My step-son goes to Westshore (very close to base) and it's a very good school.

I gotta go for now! Let me know any other questions you may have!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter