• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone shopping for homecoming dresses? UPDATE 8/31

I don't know about the town you are in, but where I'm at there are dress shops in the Latino part of town with homecoming-type dresses for girls' quinceanera (15th birthday).

Has anybody ever ordered from asos.com? I was just browsing there for the first time, and picked out several dresses to show DD for possible backups/future use. I went through all of the special occasion dresses. Some are still questionable on length, but others were more midi-length or true knee-length and still cute (in my opinion at least). I am going to see if they will respond with actual length on a dress. They even have an Asos Tall line. I didn't like many of the tall ones, but still nice to know about them. Looks like a UK company, but shipping is free over $40. Not real handy to return overseas of course.

Bought one last night at Dillards, on clearance for $32. Yes it is short, but they all are. Really pretty though.

Nieces shop at consignment shops and Goodwill. Found some very nice dresses for a good price.

We shop thrift and the local consignment year round and my girls always check the dresses. We usually don't find anything good. DD13 found her dream dress once though, a strapless lilac ruffly high-low dress, so that was cool.

Speaking of strapless, we do have a set of clear Strap-n-go straps that we've tried but they are difficult to attach. Then the dress we had them on wanted to twist out so that the pins attaching the strap showed. So that hasn't been a very good solution for us.

OP, my daughter found this at Ross this spring on clearance for $7. Yes, it's short but she wore Spandex under it, making us both happy.

8th Grade Dance Night by mom2rtk, on Flickr
That's not short! At our 8th grade dance, it would be the longest one! Even dd14's was shorter, and she's 5' (without the 6" stilettos she wore). My girls always have shorts under their dresses - probably will on their wedding days.

OP, my daughter found this at Ross this spring on clearance for $7. Yes, it's short but she wore Spandex under it, making us both happy.

That's a Pretty dress. Doesn't look too short at all. My friend was just telling me yesterday to try Ross and if they don't have anything to try again in a few days We have one about ten minutes Away and I never think to go there

We're doing it for the first time with our freshman and I'm thankful for her quirky taste because half of what we're seeing so far wouldn't be allowed at her schools' functions (no strapless). She picked out a long red Oriental style dress that I'm probably going to have to shorten just a bit, but that is otherwise perfect for her. She was also looking at a flapper-style dress from ModCloth which would have been simply adorable with the way she has her hair right now, but she doesn't really like buying online. She prefers to be able to try things on, and she enjoys the social aspect of shopping with her friends.

Very cute and a great buy!

That is not what I'd call 'short'. Short is when you see a lot more thigh, you only see a portion of hers. How tall is your DD? Mine is 5'9" and that dress would look very different on her. She also always wears something under her dresses.

I would say that's not too short on her and spandex is always a good idea. Very pretty and an awesome deal!

That's a Pretty dress. Doesn't look too short at all. My friend was just telling me yesterday to try Ross and if they don't have anything to try again in a few days We have one about ten minutes Away and I never think to go there

Very cute and a great buy!

That is not what I'd call 'short'. Short is when you see a lot more thigh, you only see a portion of hers. How tall is your DD? Mine is 5'9" and that dress would look very different on her. She also always wears something under her dresses.

Thanks! If that's not short then I'm I guess I'm in for a real surprise as she goes forward into high school with more events. Oy.

I never would have thought to try Ross, but she went shopping with a friend and her mom. She texted me a photo and told me the price and I was immediately sold. I had to take it in a little but it wasn't complicated at all. Ross is definitely on our list of "let's try here first" places now.

My DD is 5'4" tall. Maybe she needs to stop growing now before these dresses really get short on her? ;)

OP, I'm really in love with that dress. I marked it to show my DD. I'm half tempted to buy one without even needing it right now! LOL.

OP, I'm really in love with that dress. I marked it to show my DD. I'm half tempted to buy one without even needing it right now! LOL.

:goodvibes Wait and see how ours turns out...I will be sure to report back. DD really loves it too, so I'm hopeful it will work. My mom will be able to do alterations if it's close to working.

:goodvibes Wait and see how ours turns out...I will be sure to report back. DD really loves it too, so I'm hopeful it will work. My mom will be able to do alterations if it's close to working.

I'd love to hear how it works out! I'd love to hear how the sizing runs.

I'd love to hear how it works out! I'd love to hear how the sizing runs.

Okay, it arrived! 15 days from order to arrival, so not bad. The dress will work. I ordered a size 4 which was similar to her measurements on their chart and asked for another inch at the waist, and requested a 36.5 inch overall length. I haven't checked to see if those are the measurements, but for the most part, it fits.

It's not perfect, but she likes it and is excited. The bust is a smidge big, but with the tulle above the bustline, it doesn't gap so you can't tell she's not filling it out. The length is great for her. The stoning is different from the picture on Amazon, but looks fine. My main concern is the back, where the top is held together by a hook and eye, and the tulle comes to a point there and is narrow. I'm worried with dancing that it will pull through or rip. So, my mom will have to take a look and see if she can beef it up somehow. She's a whiz at altering clothes. Also, she can't raise her arms up all the way in it. Not sure if my mom can do anything about that, if so it would be nice, for dancing with her date who is taller...

hcdress.jpg

That's really cute! I showed my daughter the listing on Amazon and really likes it. Too bad she doesn't have anywhere to wear one right now. :) But I have it bookmarked.

Thanks for the detailed report! I'd love to hear how it holds up through the dance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter