Anyone see 60 Minutes last night? One Laptop Per Child program

bookworm2

Mouseketeer
Hello!

Did anyone happen to see 60 Minutes last night? I am so intrigued by the One Laptop Per Child program!

If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's the link: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/05/20/60minutes/main2830058_page3.shtml

Basically a man from MIT set out to create a $100 laptop to send to children in developing countries. It's ready to go now, and if you donate one (for $399) between now and December 31st, they'll send one to you as well. $200 of your contribution is tax deductible, too.

It runs on its own system and isn't Windows compatible, but it seems to me like it would be a great way to get our dd (3.5 yo) started on a computer, while helping out a worthy program as well.

Does anyone know more about this program or the computer? I really want to do it but I want to make sure I've checked everything out thoroughly. Thanks!!

Wow, I have heard of this man and his cause but not about the laptop for yourself also!

Heh, I was just coming in to post about this! I looked for the link to actually buy the laptops, but can't find it. I also haven't found anything about the laptop's specs.

The way I understood these laptops is that they are basically internet tools only. There is not a CD drive/flash drive. While it is a good idea in theory, I would have liked to see a machine that can be used for every day use. I can't see too many developing countries having internet access.

I was looking around at the link that bookworm2 posted, and the laptops do have a USB port, and a slot for SD cards. I haven't come across anything about internet access, but did read that the laptops automatically recognize others of their own kind in the area, and set up what they call a "mesh" network.

Ah, just found this: "Wi-Fi

The XO laptop features built-in wireless capability, so children can easily access the Internet when there is an available wireless connection. "

The countries that opt to purchase these laptops will no doubt have to take into account that they may have to set up wi-fi networks as well.

I don't know much about it, but from what little I've seen here are my thoughts/concerns. Maybe someone who knows more could correct me.

1. These are not normal computers so they may not be the best choice for your own children. I would think you are better teaching them on a Windows based system that is similar to what they will be using as they enter school. My DS5 plays on our computer and is as good or better than my parents.

2. I'd be afraid that this computer is too different from the PCs we are used to and would put your child behind in the technology area. I think they are solar powered/hand crank or some other non-traditionally ran machine. Again, I don't know how it would affect your child as they transfer to "real" computers.

3. I like the idea of supporting other people by buying a computer. Not to be snobbish, but I wish they would start a program to help the young people in our own poor communities so that we can better the youth so they can go out and change the world. This is my own ignorance, but I'm not sure what success is possible in third world countries.

Like I said, this is just what I thought when I heard about this deal, but I haven't looked into it much and hope that the outcome is successful.

Merekc, take a look around the site at the link that bookworm2 posted. It'll answer your concerns better than we could, but I'll still take a stab at it, lol.

I think they're a step up from the Leapfrog laptop, and not quite what you'd get from Dell or someplace similar.

They run on Linux, and a lot of people use Linux, just not as many as Windows, because Windows is easier. There are a lot of companies that use Linux instead of Windows because it's not as easy to hack Linux (from what I've been told) and most viruses are written for Windows. I doubt that many people in developing countries have the tech-know-how to avoid downloading a virus, and the same goes for many kids in the US.

It would be wonderful if someone would offer a low-cost laptop (or even a desktop PC) to kids in the US, but I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

Oh, the hand-crank was a feature on the first models of the OLPC laptop, but it was phased out in favor of a solar panel. I also think I saw a jack for a power cord. Like I said, take a look around on the site.

I saw the program.
I was a little put off by his insistence that other Tech companies such as Intel are evil when they go into poverty stricken areas and donate their own technology. It kind of seems like his program needs to be named:

MY laptop per Child

The unit itself looks like a very good deal if it works as shown. It has a set of basic educational type games, a camera, and a wi-fi card. It is very rugged.

I'm not sure it would be the best thing for a child in Middle Class America, but that isn't what it was designed to be. :)

Looks very promising. I tried to make a small donation online, but it seems like they are only equipped for you to donate a "whole" laptop--200.00. Can't swing that at the moment.

I read about this guy in business week and while I think it's great that the company is donating to third world countries, don't be fooled...

He claims that the laptops are $200 each, then he uped the price to $399, so he really isn't "giving" anything away.

I agree with PP that said, how about helping out the poor communities ina merica where some kids have never seen a computer.

I also can think of items that these kids need mroe than a laptop... food, clothing, medical care, etc, etc.

Ok, I am off my soapbox now!

Oh I saw 60 minutes alright, but I didn't see anything past the Will Smith interview!!! :love: :rotfl:

Oh, the hand-crank was a feature on the first models of the OLPC laptop, but it was phased out in favor of a solar panel. I also think I saw a jack for a power cord. Like I said, take a look around on the site.

The models they showed on 60 Minutes last night still had the hand crank option, as well as a "salad spinner" type power option to use after the 10-12 hour batteries wear out (at night).

Also, in the interview, they stated that each area that gets these laptops for the kids has to invest in a satellite dish and generators in order to provide internet access, and the wi-fi range is 4 times greater than anything we can get in America.

I just don't understand why computers would be so important to someone with no running or even clean water... or electricity? Don't get me wrong... I am all for education and making the world a better place, but for the cost of one of these someone could probally supply a classroom of kids the school supplies that they need for a whole year. I just wonder if this is something these kids really "need".

I'm not flamming... just wonder if this is what is really best for these kids.

I just don't understand why computers would be so important to someone with no running or even clean water... or electricity? Don't get me wrong... I am all for education and making the world a better place, but for the cost of one of these someone could probally supply a classroom of kids the school supplies that they need for a whole year. I just wonder if this is something these kids really "need".

I'm not flamming... just wonder if this is what is really best for these kids.

I'm not getting it either, and you are the first comment I have read to date that is thinking what I'm thinking as well.

All I know is if my family is ever hungry, sick, in need of the basics please don't give us a computer. I would want food and medical care!

The money that the man is "giving" in terms of technology could be put to much better use for these people at this point in time.:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter