• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone ride the "forbidden" rides when pregnant?

Please don't feel guilty. There is NOTHING you did to cause the miscarriage. Safari is no different than driving down a dirt road, and certainly didn't cause your loss. Many pregnant women do aerobic exercise (and are encouraged by their OBs to do so) while pregnant.
I am a labor and delivery nurse, and have even suffered 2 miscarriages myself. Miscarriages are most often b/c of something wrong with the pregnancy itself, not anything done by the mother. I hate to think you are walking around with this guilt. :grouphug:

I know that. I had a lot of trouble getting pregnant with my 2nd and my OB told me it just happens. But it is human nature to think "what if" and I just hope OP doesn't have to go thru it.

Funny story about this...my cousin was pregnant with twins when she was at Disney. I think she was about 5 months along. She was told she could ride kiddie rides and anything that didn't have a lap bar. So she rode safari. About 1/2 way into the ride she had to go to the bathroom. Not a big deal though. She could wait. Then when the really bumpy part started she realized that this was going to be an issue. The girl WET HER PANTS. Emptied her poor bladder. She was so absolutely mortified. There was NOTHING she could do to stop it. She also started laughing and could not stop. Her pregnant giggles are famous in our family. Once she gets going she can't stop and I think the laughing and the bumping did her in. She was absolutely howling with laughter while tears streamed down her face. Thankfully she was wearing black shorts so no one could see how wet her backside was. They also had a shammie towel with them that was useful in the situation. But she had to tell the driver what had happened. He couldn't have been kinder to her about it.

She declared her riding days over until the babies were born. :thumbsup2

Im dying right now reading this :lmao: As for the OP I often think what would I do if I became pregnant before disney and I would go on most kiddie rides but not chance it at all with the big rides. I mean really why take the chance? there are so many rides that you can enjoy and have peace of mind.

I know that. I had a lot of trouble getting pregnant with my 2nd and my OB told me it just happens. But it is human nature to think "what if" and I just hope OP doesn't have to go thru it.

I miscarried my first child and to this day I still think about what ifs.

I miscarried my first child and to this day I still think about what ifs.

I don't want to derail this thread but I just want to say I have had 3 completely unpreventable miscarriages. I did everything I was supposed to do. It just happens.

I get not wanting to take risks and totally agree. However, blaming yourself or second-guessing yourself is not worth it!

I wish in general women didn't blame themselves. I know it happens and its a normal part of the grieving process but it's almost never the mother's fault.

Hug.

You'll be fine.

I can tell you why the "Safari" raised red flags with so many of your OBGYNs.

When a pregnant woman's doctor hears the term "Safari" she/he will think three things almost immediately: toxoplasmosis, Coxiella, and Listeria. All of these things can be found in the fluids and excretions of farm/zoo animals. They are all potential pregnancy enders.

That said, the risk of getting them from direct exposure is pretty low and the Disney Safari is very far removed from direct exposure.

As for the rest, think of our cavemen ancesters, do you thing she got 30 weeks of bed rest leading up to delivery? Kids are made of rubber.

Here's my take on it,

You either trust that you doctor knows what he/she is doing and take their advice

or you you decide that you can't trust them. In that case it's time for a new doctor.

I've read a book written by a former cast member. He went into great detail about what happens in an emergency stop and just how violent it can be. He also went on to explain just how common emergency stops end up having to occur. (He specifically worked BTMR)

I really wouldn't want to take that kind of risk with my baby just for a few minutes of thrill. I couldn't be that self-centered and selfish.

But make the decision you can live with.

I was 5 months Prego when I rode space n splash mountain also did mission space n that made me sick! I was also 18 n stupid lol never followed any rules, dd is fine except she does love rollercoasters. That being said I think about how stupid of a decision that was now that I'm older n have somewhat of a head on my shoulders, dd is my biggest blessing n the thought that something could have happened haunts me every now and then. :sad2:

My doc said safari and soarin were ok but no to anything jerky or with a drop. Now I'm concerned that so many of your docs said no to the safari. Better safe than sorry. Going next week @ 11wks.

Soarin' is fine for pregnancies. No posted warnings even. I would, however, avoid it if your morning sickness and/or motion sickness are high.

I would never, ever risk the safety of my child just to enjoy a few thrills at Disney World. Abigail means the world to me, and I wasn't exactly the ideal pregnant person when I was carrying her. If the Doctor says no, then it's a no.

. I would have ridden the Safari without a thought. A little bumping? So what! It's not like the baby's going to fall out of me!

I think it's a judgement call.

FWIW, yes your baby could fall out of you if you are like me and have a weak cervix. I didn't even know, neither did our doula or midwife. It took a miscarriage for us to find this out. I needed a surclage (stitches per se) for me to deliver my daughter. Please don't take any chances. Trust me, Disney will always be there and we will be making our 7th trip with our 11 year old next week...

I went to Disneyland at about 14 weeks. We planned the trip before I got pregnant and it was actually a great time to go. I was over the fatigue of the first trimester and I felt great. My doctor said that there was basically nothing I could do at Disneyland that could impact the baby.

I went on the Cars Land ride and Star Tours. I skipped Indiana Jones, California Screamin and the Matterhorn. I felt very comfortable with my decisions. I felt bummed missing the rides I did at Disneyland (our first visit and probably won't go back until a long time). But I did not want to be worrying on my trip about somehow impacting the baby.

I had a wonderful time despite having to sit out on a few things and I would definitely go back during another pregnancy.

You can really only play the risk avoidance game if you have perfect knowledge about every factor involved.

Could riding a roller coaster cause a miscarriage or cerebral palsy or whatever? Yes, there's a chance. Could avoiding that same ride cause a miscarriage? Yes, there's a chance for that too. Can walking to the bus or staying in bed all day cause a miscarriage? In some circumstances (equally rare) they both can. Can drinking during pregnancy hurt the baby? Sure, and it can also stop premature labor. So there are risks that are measurable yet insignificant in the broader picture and some that would be significant if they were not mitigated by other factors or compared against the risks of another activity. There are risks in taking an airplane, but on a road trip there are more risks in driving. You could just stay home, but there are risks from that too.

As my favorite classical economist, Bastiat, says there are costs (risks) that you see and there are those that you don't see. You can see the risks that come from a roller coaster, but it may just be more risky at that specific moment to do something else.

Self incrimination is a very human reaction. When something bad happens, we blame. When no one stands around long enough to be blamed we turn on ourselves. When it's someone else doing it, it seems almost ridiculous. But when something horrible happens to you it's just a matter of time before the "If only I had..." sets in. Every mammal in nature miscarries. The loss is devastating, I've felt it, but it's a product of our design.

Go back to our caveman ancestor again. There is evidence that they experienced fewer miscarriages than we do today. Yet they were far more active. It's been my experience that our bodies were build to function normally at the activity level of cavemen, that might be a reasonable guide.

I don't understand why this is even a question. If you're fortunate enough to get pregnant, it comes with responsibilities. Your number one responsibility is to do everything you can to protect your precious child. Follow your doctor's advice and play it safe. Those thrill rides will be there another time.

I am going to Disney over 4th of July and will be 15 weeks pregnant. I know some of the rides are no nos, but I really want to ride Splash Mountain, Test Track, Thunder Mountain, and teh safari at Animal Kingdom. Are they really that bad for pregnant women. I have been on on SM and TM 100's of e times and really don't see the big deal about them.

Thank you!

Hi. Splash mountain I think you can get away with . Small dips until the big one at the end. The final drop to the laughing place is a drop and then another drop maybe problem. Thunder mountain forget. There is a lot of up and down bumps and high speed 180 degree turns. Would not recommend ride. Test track has a series of breaking tests plus real bumpy road test. This will really shake you up and down. The safari ride is like driving over a country dirt road. It has a lot of ups and down like you are moving across a pathway rather a road. I would say no to everything you listed. Why you are going in the first place escapes me. I think I would have waited.

Dan-tot

Go back to our caveman ancestor again. There is evidence that they experienced fewer miscarriages than we do today. Yet they were far more active. It's been my experience that our bodies were build to function normally at the activity level of cavemen, that might be a reasonable guide.

So you're saying the caveman would have chosen to ride the roller coaster?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter