Anyone ride the "forbidden" rides when pregnant?

I have already posted regarding this but just felt compelled to say.....I think its great that your OB Doctor is "very conservative"...I would follow their advice. Wait till your little one is born and you can use child swap and go on all the rides you want.
Have fun on your trip and best wishes to you and your baby! :goodvibes

I rode roller coasters all day, over and over in early pregnancy. I didn't know I was pregnant yet and was just fine. I've been on tamer rides in the 2nd trimester and I'd stay away from anything with a confining lap bar. It's not going to hurt the baby during normal operation but it would be uncomfortable, at least for me. I was knocked flat on my stomach at 7 months and dragged about 30 feet. The baby was fine. In a normal, healthy pregnancy, there is not much one can do to hurt the baby that won't hurt the mother even worse.
Whatever you decide, don't let yourself feel guilty for it. You can't cause a miscarriage at an amusement park. If you could, you'd see a bunch of nervous teenagers lined up over and over on Mission Space.

I wouldn't think twice about the safari or test track. Same as a car ride. However I wouldn't even consider space mountain or big thunder.

so your Dr said no and you;d thought you'd ask the opinions of users of a Disney forum....interesting

To be fair, we don't know if the doctor has ever been to Walt Disney World, or knows a single thing about any of the rides. He might not have given the question even a moment's thought, saying no to everything just to prevent any possibility of a lawsuit.

Fwiw, I have seen pregnant women riding the Safari ride. One was in line behind my husband and me and was a bit concerned about the signs. But once we described the ride, she said she'd been on bumpier roads just getting to Disney! Apparently they have a truck and she lived out in the country.

That's why I say it's a judgement call each woman has to make for herself.

I rode roller coasters all day, over and over in early pregnancy. I didn't know I was pregnant yet and was just fine. I've been on tamer rides in the 2nd trimester and I'd stay away from anything with a confining lap bar. It's not going to hurt the baby during normal operation but it would be uncomfortable, at least for me. I was knocked flat on my stomach at 7 months and dragged about 30 feet. The baby was fine. In a normal, healthy pregnancy, there is not much one can do to hurt the baby that won't hurt the mother even worse.
Whatever you decide, don't let yourself feel guilty for it. You can't cause a miscarriage at an amusement park. If you could, you'd see a bunch of nervous teenagers lined up over and over on Mission Space.

:lmao:

Your baby has extremely thin and delicate blood vessels in the first two trimesters. They can rupture if exposed to the types of forces you experience on a thrill ride. Your baby could suffer a stroke or aneurism in utero, leading to permanent disability or death. Why would you risk that?

I'm sure the risk of going on a ride causing any damage is minimal, but I'd say it's not worth it regardless. If something were to happen, even if it was possibly totally unrelated, that's a lot of guilt to carry.

Dh and I were in Hawaii on vacay when I had a scare with our oldest. I was abt 12 to 15 weeks along. I was pretty careful with what I did. I was in the hospital and the drs. told me I probably would miscarry. I didn't and ds will be 19 on June 15th.

I would never have lived down the worry and guilt had I miscarried. So glad I have been able to bring him with us on our Disney trips and watch him grow into the amazing young man he has become.

Anything more than the safari ride is not worth the risk.

I've been to WDW twice when pregnant. Once at 28 weeks and once at 11. Neither time did I feel any ride would be worth risking my babies' lives. WDW will always be there and there are plenty of safe shows and attractions.

This website doesn't go into details about all rides but does talk about coasters.. (and I think you said 15 weeks, that isn't early that is 2nd trimester) but pretty much sums it up to listen to your Doctor... if he/she says no, then why are you asking here.. listen to your Doctor.. we are not the ones to be listening to, your Doctor is. By the way, congratulations. I forgot to say that before :goodvibes

http://www.pregnancy-info.net/miscarriage-myths.html

MYTH: Amusement Park and roller coaster rides will cause a miscarriage.

FACT: It has yet to be established at what point during pregnancy amusement park rides may become dangerous versus safe. In all likelihood, however, riding a roller coaster early in pregnancy will not cause problems, while jerky motions could cause placental abruption in later stages of pregnancy.

Summary
These are but a few of the scores of current myths surrounding miscarriage. Here are some bottom lines to keep in mind:

•- Learn the difference between a "cause" of miscarriage and a "correlation" with, or a link to miscarriage

•- Seek advice from credible professionals

•- Don't believe everything you read!

I ask my OBGYN when I was pregnant and she said I should absolutely not do the safari. :sad2: She was very familiar with it and generally not overly conservative. I really wish I remember her reasoning, but I do know it was very solid - something I would have never know. Maybe about the developing brain? Placenta?

I was supposed to go to Disney last November when I was about 11 weeks pregnant, ended up not going due to extreme all day sickness throughout my first and second trimester. I would have never done any ride with a posted warning though, to me it would never be worth it. If something happened I would never forgive myself, and I always would have wondered if I caused it.

However I talked to my doctor who is a high risk OB, (but still not overly conservative it seems) and he said that the jerky rides are much more of a concern than the smooth ones with the drops. He said the placenta can become detached from the jerking around, and he has seen it many times unfortunately. He said this could happen in pretty much all stages of pregnancy, but probably an even greater risk AFTER the first 10 weeks or so. And yes, even in NORMAL pregnancies. So he would probably worry more about something like Dinosaur or AK Safari, much more than Splash Mountain.

FYI I also thought that at that point in pregnancy, that kind of bumping around really bothered me... It was very uncomfortable and it would have not been worth it to do the ride anyway. I would never judge someone else on the decision they made, however I think it is crazy that some people think because their pregnancy is "normal" and they are healthy, that nothing bad can happen to them. I have a friend who has 3 children, and was pregnant with her 4th. Fell on some ice at about 15 weeks (just landed on her bottom, but pretty hard). Placenta detached, and she lost her baby a few days later. It DOES happen!

I am going to Disney over 4th of July and will be 15 weeks pregnant. I know some of the rides are no nos, but I really want to ride Splash Mountain, Test Track, Thunder Mountain, and teh safari at Animal Kingdom. Are they really that bad for pregnant women. I have been on on SM and TM 100's of e times and really don't see the big deal about them.

Thank you!

Only you can know the answer to the real question here: is your temporary entertainment on a theme park ride worth risking the health of the baby you created and for whom you are responsible to protect?

I can't imagine any logical thread of reason that would lead an individual to the conclusion that their temporary amusement takes precedence over the safety of the baby. Pregnancy is the time to start being more conservative - IMO when one decides to become a parent, they should also be willing and ready to accept that their *wants* will now come second to the baby's *needs*.

I went to Disney at 7 1/2 months. I stuck to the approved rides. At some point during that pregnancy I had to give up demonstrating many of the dance moves I typically teach to my students. If I would try clogging or anything with jumpy moves I could have signs of trouble. It was well worth waiting. Now that my daughter is tall enough, she can ride them sitting next to me instead if in my belly. :)

This is just the first of many sacrifices parenthood will require. Best get used to it. The rides aren't going anywhere.

I made my very first ever Disney trip when I was 7 weeks pregnant. That was after 1 miscarriage and 2 1/2 years of infertility treatment. You couldn't have paid me to go on those rides. He's 20 now and entering his junior year of college. And the rides are still there, and I'm still enjoying them.

If you think your doctor's office is too conservative, then why do you go there?

Not sure which ones at disney are listed as not approved for pregnancy but I know that even carousels at other places are not
Approved and say pregnant people not allowed so even th carousel at MK would be out and I see pregnant women on it all the time.

Not sure which ones at disney are listed as not approved for pregnancy but I know that even carousels at other places are not
Approved and say pregnant people not allowed so even th carousel at MK would be out and I see pregnant women on it all the time.

The carrousel at Disney World does not have a pregnancy notice and is considered safe.

Only you can know the answer to the real question here: is your temporary entertainment on a theme park ride worth risking the health of the baby you created and for whom you are responsible to protect?

I can't imagine any logical thread of reason that would lead an individual to the conclusion that their temporary amusement takes precedence over the safety of the baby. Pregnancy is the time to start being more conservative - IMO when one decides to become a parent, they should also be willing and ready to accept that their *wants* will now come second to the baby's *needs*.

This. I'm not a mom (yet), but it boggles my mind that anyone would EVER take any unnecessary risks during pregnancy. The rides (and everything else you're not supposed to do/eat/drink) will be there after the baby is born. Why even take the chance??

My doc said safari and soarin were ok but no to anything jerky or with a drop. Now I'm concerned that so many of your docs said no to the safari. Better safe than sorry. Going next week @ 11wks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter