Anyone really happy with your bank/credit union?

Another vote for a Credit Union. We have accounts at 3 regular banks (Christmas and Vacation funds, etc.), but our daily accounts, loans and credit cards are with our local credit union. The rates are great, they know our name when we show up, and they offer every service I can get from a big bank, without the hassles.

Heck I was even at our local High School football game the other night, and the Credit Union manager came to our seat just to see how our Disney trip was!

Yet one more vote for a local credit union. I was with BoA for a couple of years and I do definitely see the Credit Union "difference" :)

Luckily most of them have opened fully to the public and aren't quite as exclusive (only available to certain employees) as they once were!

Somedays I'm happy and somedays I hate them. LOL

Bank of America

They and Chase are the only two national banks in my suburb. I've looked at some of the local credit unions and independant banks, but because of my daily balance amount the National chains offer me a lot of perks that locals don't. I dislike Chase (they bought my oldest Credit Card company and they tried to stick it to me even though I was never late, paid more, and basically screwed with my APR for no reason), so I don't want to move to them.

So I stay with BOA. But then I've never had ANY bank that didn't annoy me at some point, so as long as I am not going to lose money I'll probably stay with BOA. (for what it's worth I also refuse to use BOA's credit card, because they annoyed me LOL).

I'll second a joining a credit union. They have much lower fees, as well as better loan rates than a bank. I love ours and the staff there are very friendly and helpful. Their checking account also has no monthly fees while our local banks charge somewhere in the neighborhood of $7 a month to have a checking account.

Just a note but our local bank doesn't charge us a dime for our checking and savings account. But my husband had a Credit Union account that he's had since he was about 14 years old. He only kept it open for sentimental reasons and in case we wanted to check in to them for a car loan (we don't live near them). Recently they started charging a monthly fee for accounts that are not used in some way every few months. We closed the account.

Just a note but our local bank doesn't charge us a dime for our checking and savings account. But my husband had a Credit Union account that he's had since he was about 14 years old. He only kept it open for sentimental reasons and in case we wanted to check in to them for a car loan (we don't live near them). Recently they started charging a monthly fee for accounts that are not used in some way every few months. We closed the account.

The same happened to me. I had a savings account which I closed. We also had a credit card through the credit union. We asked for a set amount of credit but they would keep raising it. We did not want more credit but they would periodically raise it anyway.

We were with Equitable Trust which was bought out by NationsBank which was bought out by Bank of America. We have never had a problem. We have two no-fee checking accounts, mortgage, HELOC, and a credit card account.

We love Navy Federal Credit Union.

Of course hubby works there however I have been a member since I was 16 (my father worked for the Navy).

Credit Unions and local banks seem to be the best bet now.

We have accounts with two different credit unions that are great. We also have our checking with a small, community bank. It's interest bearing (such as it is) and we get free checks. It costs us nothing, so we keep it. If they ever started hitting us with fees, we'd switch that to the credit union, too.

Bank of America
I've banked with BoA for over 20 years. I've never paid any money in fees. I am totally an ATM person.

BoA probably has the best ATM network. It's just everywhere (except New Orleans post Katrina). I love that you just feed the checks in for deposit with no envelopes or slips to fill out.

When I first moved to Arkansas from CA the ATM network in AR didn't get moved over to the CA system for 2-3 years so I had to go inside to make deposits. I HATED that. I felt like I'd regressed to the 60s.

Maybe every 3-4 years I need to go inside to get a cashier's check or get something notarized. I don't really care what kind of tellers they have inside - I want the ATMs to work and be plentiful.

I rarely write checks. I used one the other day that had my address from CA in 1989 on it. I like BoA's online banking service too.

But I think the real reason that I liked BoA so much is that when I moved from TX in 1989 TX did not have branch banking. The big Texas banks offered virtually NO customer service for individual accounts as they were set up to handle business needs. The small banks couldn't offer any services as they were too small to provide any.

I bank with Wachovia/Wells Fargo and have direct deposit, a checking account, and a debit card with them, and I'm fine with them.
I am careful with my money so don't really incur any fees as far as returned checks or over limit (canceled my credit card).
Our credit union at my job (our company employs about 4500 people) is a not user-friendly! Loans are 13%, you can only borrow certain amounts depending on how long you've worked for this company, fees for loan apps (as of 2010), UNPLEASANT women working there. On the plus side, you can direct deposit into a savings/vacation club, and the office is right in my building (easy access).
I guess I could look for a credit union that I could bank with...don't know if we would fit the criteria for any around here, but with the information I'm reading on this thread, it seems worth it.

You may enjoy an ING direct one that gathers interest.

I haven't found one I like. I need to move to a credit union. I'd like to work on my credit and maybe be able to get a home loan in a few years.

I stick with BofA even though I don't really like them. Too much issues with phone customer service. In the bank they are always wonderful. I hate that they charge $8.95 a month on the new accounts without a direct deposit or $1000 balance that is maintained at a low end(NOT HAPPENING HERE!). I know they have others my brother got one as he doesn't have direct deposit but I didn't know when I went in to re open an account. They have a fee for a fee you know? LOL :mad: They get me on the order they pull out their debits lowest to highest and at different dates. So many times they got quite snippy when I said I could PROVE that the lower ones were done long before the others. I swear they hold them for Fridays to catch people. Something I deal with from time to time living on pay check to paycheck basis. Totally my fault usually but its still like robbing from the poor to pay the interest the rich(ok and better book keepers I will admit)

Chase and Wells Fargo are both veto'd by me. I have a ING savings but they would not open a checking for me. :confused3

I loved Vista Federal Credit Union(or the name it had in the late 90s when I worked at WDW) was great now its Partners I see. ;) No fees and all I had to have was $25 in savings. So credit unions are really good usually. See if any are open to your employer or family's employers. We have desert schools credit union here open to teachers or family of teachers and anyone in school.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter