Anyone Reading "Cast Member Confidential" Yet?

Well, I want to do something about it. It makes me ill, it's just sitting on the table in the bookstore where any child could pick it up. I know its not true but other people will think thats what Disney is all about. I'm going to start a petition to have it removed from my local bookstore. Thats not censorship, its supply and demand!

Something about people trying to ban books makes me want to read them. Honestly, I had no interest in this thing until I read your posts wanted it "removed from your local bookstore".

Banning books tends to create more demand.....;)

Something about people trying to ban books makes me want to read them. Honestly, I had no interest in this thing until I read your posts wanted it "removed from your local bookstore".

Banning books tends to create more demand.....;)

Keep in mind that I don't think SupercaliSal has read the book. Personally, I wouldn't recommend paying for it, see if maybe your library has it and be quick, before it gets banned! :rotfl:

Keep in mind that I don't think SupercaliSal has read the book. Personally, I wouldn't recommend paying for it, see if maybe your library has it and be quick, before it gets banned! :rotfl:

Why is it that everytime someone wants a book banned-it's a book they HAVEN'T READ????

it is not "supply and demand" if no one BUYS the book and it gets removed from your local bookstore, that is supply and demand. Petitioning to have it removed based upon your opinion of it certainly is a form of censorship.

I don't know you WaltD4Me so I don't hold anything against you, but you don't know much about censorship. It isnt censorship if its obscene (Miller v. California) and obscenity is determined by the community (Skyywalker Records v. Navarro, which by the way, took place right here in Florida). now, I don't know where you live, but I know my community. I dont need to convene a jury to know that my friends and neighbors would look at the sex scenes in this book and find it obscene.

And yes I have read it. As much as I could stomach anyways.

I don't know you WaltD4Me so I don't hold anything against you, but you don't know much about censorship. It isnt censorship if its obscene (Miller v. California) and obscenity is determined by the community (Skyywalker Records v. Navarro, which by the way, took place right here in Florida). now, I don't know where you live, but I know my community. I dont need to convene a jury to know that my friends and neighbors would look at the sex scenes in this book and find it obscene.

I'm gonna go right out now and order that book for my Kindle.

Please stop trying to force your morality on everyone else.

PeterPan09 - Thats just mean. Im not trying to force anything on anyone. This is a discussion board. If you dont want to hear my opinion then skip over my posts...

And since you were the original poster who was confused about my intentions, let me point out that trying to shut me up IS censorship!

PeterPan09 - Thats just mean. Im not trying to force anything on anyone. This is a discussion board. If you dont want to hear my opinion then skip over my posts...

And since you were the original poster who was confused about my intentions, let me point out that trying to shut me up IS censorship!

Trying to take any book off the shelves of a bookstore or a library because YOU do not like what is in it is CENSORSHIP.

Your opinion on the book in question is your opinion and you can say whatever you want. My objection is NOT to your opinion or you voicing that opinion, only on you using it to have the book removed from a bookstore.

And who is it exactly that determines what is obscene?

If it's you, then you better get busy, because I can guarantee you that there are books that are ALOT more obscene than this on the shelves of your local bookstore.

Your original argument was the book would take away the magic, now you are saying it is because the book is obscene. Which is it? :confused3

I dont understand why this has to turn into a debate - YOU DONT LIKE THE BOOK EITHER. Im just willing to take the extra step to do something about it...

To repeat (which I shouldnt have to do since you quoted me in your reply) the COMMUNITY determines what is obscene. If I get enough signatures from people in my community (or your community for that matter) who believe it qualifies as obscene, then it can be taken off the shelves. This, PeterPan09 is not my OPINION - it's a voice proclaiming loud and clear that we dont want Castmember Confidential in our neighborhood.

Im offended by this book in particular because it lures in children with animation on the cover (Mickey's hand! How is that not a copyright infringement??) theres no adult content warning. At least other "obscene" books come wrapped in plastic or have a sticker that says "WARNING"

I posted on here because I thought it would be a lark. I didnt realize it was going to turn into a legal debate over obscenity laws...

:teacher:

I dont understand why this has to turn into a debate - YOU DONT LIKE THE BOOK EITHER. Im just willing to take the extra step to do something about it...

To repeat (which I shouldnt have to do since you quoted me in your reply) the COMMUNITY determines what is obscene. If I get enough signatures from people in my community (or your community for that matter) who believe it qualifies as obscene, then it can be taken off the shelves. This, PeterPan09 is not my OPINION - it's a voice proclaiming loud and clear that we dont want Castmember Confidential in our neighborhood.

Im offended by this book in particular because it lures in children with animation on the cover (Mickey's hand! How is that not a copyright infringement??) theres no adult content warning. At least other "obscene" books come wrapped in plastic or have a sticker that says "WARNING"

I posted on here because I thought it would be a lark. I didnt realize it was going to turn into a legal debate over obscenity laws...

Alrighty then. Please let us know how it goes. :thumbsup2

AFTER I read it, I'll let you know what my opinion is.

My opinion on censorship remains the same. If you don't want to read it, or you don't like it-fine. If you don't want your kids to read it-forbid it. However, because YOU don't like it, or YOU think it's obscene, that does not give you the right to choose for others in your community.

I just started reading it and I'm not enjoying it too much. The story about Tarzan sounds like complete crazy to me. I think this maybe is someone who did work for WDW, and decided to take advantage of that fact. I haven't read much, but what I have read seems like he's stretching the truth. When I first heard about this book, I was really excited for it. Now when I look at it to read it I just say, "meh.." and pick something else up.

I did read the book, and I believe the author may have taken some literary license with his telling, I believe some of what he says does go on, maybe not to the extent that he is portraying it. Anyone that has read other "behind the scene disney" books, knows that the company does keep alot of the goings on behind the scenes secretive, that's the "magic" of disney, and I commend disney for that, it's the reason most of us go back time and again. I believe most of the diehards fans look for these types of books, maybe not this one in particular, but behind the scenes information. Remember controversy sells, and I believe that's what the writers is hoping for. Again, did I enjoy the book, maybe a little, but most of it I found rather humerous and over the top and I'm sure that's not what the writer had intended.

Yes controversy sells but this book is just full of wrong information. I feel bad for those people that didn't realize that the author didn't always tell the truth.

Yes controversy sells but this book is just full of wrong information. I feel bad for those people that didn't realize that the author didn't always tell the truth.

Obviously anyone on these boards could easily tell that most of the book is an exaggeration.

Yes, the people here would know but what about all those other people? The author paints a bad picture of Disney and there will be plenty that believe it all.

The author is probably laughing all the way to the bank.

I got about half way through it last night and one of the things I noticed was his own explanation of why and how he ended up at Disney. This guy had real issues going on with his mother and the rest of his life that had to have colored the experience.

I can believe that some of what he's describing goes on-remember most of these folks are young people, right out of college or even still in college. Put them all together and you're going to get frat house behavior. I also believe he exaggerated quite a bit to make the book sell better. Other than the Tarzan incident, I don't know how you could prove that the other stuff he claims to have gone on in after hours or in out of the way places in the park didn't happen.

You are correct. But he also could have written about good things that happened while working as a CM. My daughter did the CP twice so I am well aware of what happens. He chose to show the bad side to sell books.

is there a saying ...... Bad News Sells - unfortuantely its true.

Anyway, so now that I know i'll waste my time on this book - i wont bother buying it. So what book would you recommend that is closest and most entertaining out of this "behind the scenes at disney" genre?

I meet so many CM's down here that have worked there 10 years or more. I can't imagine that many people would stay there that long if it were such a terrible place to work.

Unless that is all they have! A lot of people are that way. As for working with Disney. I look forward to someday being a CM. For good or bad its been a dream of mine!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter