Anyone posting who returned from the 10/2 Magic yet??

Hello,
We are cruising on the Magic during President's week in Feb. I read through the thread about the lack of "pixie dust" on the Magic and was becoming a little concerned. Can anyone comment on the state of the ship? I know some people on this thread have said that some waitstaff were a little slow but what about the ship and CM's in general? Thanks so much!!!
Jessica

Hello,
We are cruising on the Magic during President's week in Feb. I read through the thread about the lack of "pixie dust" on the Magic and was becoming a little concerned. Can anyone comment on the state of the ship? I know some people on this thread have said that some waitstaff were a little slow but what about the ship and CM's in general? Thanks so much!!!
Jessica

Did you read my post on the thread? It's the very last one from today and very detailed. I'll re-post here. It talks about cast members, waitstaff, and the state of the ship.

Just off the Magic Oct 1-8th. 4th DCL cruise (2 were on the Wonder and 2 on the Magic - Jan & Oct 2011).

1) I am a lanyard wearer. Proud. Not snobby. In fact, people ask us questions and we are always happy to help. We came across many gold and platinum cruisers (wearing lanyards) and they were very nice! We kept encountering a couple from Bradenton (just south of us) and they were VERY kind :thumbsup2

2) We are not jaded, but this was our favorite and best cruise yet (the 2nd was one of our 5-night double dips on the Wonder in Aug of 2010). We loved the length (7 nights) - perfect and so easy to relax. Our serving team was excellent - Llewellyn from Jamaica and Stipe from Croatia.

3) We stayed in secret verandah #6634. The room was fine. I never smelled sewage in our room. Our stateroom host was fine - nothing special, but didn't suck. The room was in fine condition. It's 13 years old and while it didn't look brand new, it was just great :thumbsup2

4) Every cast member we encountered was friendly, talkative, and just great. We spent a lot of time talking to Alec from the US in the shops and he was so very nice. We learned a lot about a lot of things relating to DCL.....

5) The ship. She looked just fine. Yes, she's 13 years old, but they take great care of her. They were oiling the teak, painting, and fixing some kind of leak in front of the aft staircase deck 10 near Palo. People talk of dirty carpets, well, one night, I saw a crew member scrubbing a bloody mary that someone spilled all down the stairs. Red on gold carpet.

6) The food is the food. People will agree or disagree because it's very subjective. I will say we were happy of the addition of the BBQ ribs at Cookie's. Also, we usually do Palo dinner, but did brunch this time - our server (Sasha) and the food were excellent :)

All in all, a great cruise. Please ask if you have an detailed questions I can answer.

Our serving team was excellent - Llewellyn from Jamaica and Stipe from Croatia.

Was this the Stipe that had been on the Magic until a couple of years ago? Is he back?? (Don't know if you talked to him about his history with DCL so you may not know. Do you have a picture??) He was one of the best servers that we have ever had. Would be very exciting news if he's back and we can request him for our trip next month.

Was this the Stipe that had been on the Magic until a couple of years ago? Is he back?? (Don't know if you talked to him about his history with DCL so you may not know. Do you have a picture??) He was one of the best servers that we have ever had. Would be very exciting news if he's back and we can request him for our trip next month.

He just started with DCL Dec 18th 2010, but he is indeed excellent. He talked about how he came to work for them, etc. Our cruise was his first back from vacation and 1st with our server Llewellyn, but they seemed like they had been together for years - excellent chemistry :goodvibes

Did you read my post on the thread? It's the very last one from today and very detailed. I'll re-post here. It talks about cast members, waitstaff, and the state of the ship.

Just off the Magic Oct 1-8th. 4th DCL cruise (2 were on the Wonder and 2 on the Magic - Jan & Oct 2011).

1) I am a lanyard wearer. Proud. Not snobby. In fact, people ask us questions and we are always happy to help. We came across many gold and platinum cruisers (wearing lanyards) and they were very nice! We kept encountering a couple from Bradenton (just south of us) and they were VERY kind :thumbsup2

2) We are not jaded, but this was our favorite and best cruise yet (the 2nd was one of our 5-night double dips on the Wonder in Aug of 2010). We loved the length (7 nights) - perfect and so easy to relax. Our serving team was excellent - Llewellyn from Jamaica and Stipe from Croatia.

3) We stayed in secret verandah #6634. The room was fine. I never smelled sewage in our room. Our stateroom host was fine - nothing special, but didn't suck. The room was in fine condition. It's 13 years old and while it didn't look brand new, it was just great :thumbsup2

4) Every cast member we encountered was friendly, talkative, and just great. We spent a lot of time talking to Alec from the US in the shops and he was so very nice. We learned a lot about a lot of things relating to DCL.....

5) The ship. She looked just fine. Yes, she's 13 years old, but they take great care of her. They were oiling the teak, painting, and fixing some kind of leak in front of the aft staircase deck 10 near Palo. People talk of dirty carpets, well, one night, I saw a crew member scrubbing a bloody mary that someone spilled all down the stairs. Red on gold carpet.

6) The food is the food. People will agree or disagree because it's very subjective. I will say we were happy of the addition of the BBQ ribs at Cookie's. Also, we usually do Palo dinner, but did brunch this time - our server (Sasha) and the food were excellent :)

All in all, a great cruise. Please ask if you have an detailed questions I can answer.

Yes, thank you. I did read through it and it was very informative. I welcome others opinions as well!!

Thanks for all of your information.

My family embarks on the 10/22 to 10/29 Eastern Caribbean voyage...and I am sure we'll have a grand time (It's our 2nd Magic cruise). :)

We also had a very positive experience on the Magic this past week.

Our servers were Genesis from the Phillippines (we requested him) and Siri from Thailand. Both worked together well. We had early dining and would be done with dinner by 7:15 pm each night. Our head server was Liam, who has been promoted to that position.

Our stateroom host was in his 2nd contract and was very efficient - Oka from Indonesia.

Palo brunch and dinner were excellent. We had Alicia as a server for both meals. She was our server in the dining rooms about 3 years ago.

Overall, the ship is in excellent conditoin considering her age. I did see a couple leaks early in the cruise, one in the rainforest and another in the computer bank in the Promenade Lounge. These leaks were not evident after the first day we saw them.

There are quite a few newer CMs and new CMs are boarding each week to get trained for the Fantsay. We never encountered any issues with the CMs, old and new.

I, too, wear a platinum lanyard and do NOT have an attitude and when encountering other platinum wearers, it was fun discussing past cruises. I didn't see any "attitudes".

Castaway Cay has been transformed into a more beautiful island to accommodate the larger ships.

We were not disappointed at all with the ship, CMs and experiences. We booked a dummy date cruise on a December 2012 Magic and will transfer the reservation to a 2013 cruise.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise!

Jan

The transfer from Pop couldn't have been smoother. We got a letter in our room saying they would start picking up luggage at 8 am and that we didnt' have to be present and that our bus would arrive at 12:30 and to start arriving in the lobby about 15 min. early.

We planned to stay around the resort that morning so I was in the room in the morning. They were there about 8:05 to get the bags.

We were in the lobby about 12:10 and there were 2 lovely Cruise line reps who checked us in. There were about 40 people in all. The bus was on time and we were on our way by 12:50.

Like I said, I was at first a little disappointed at how late we were scheduled to arrive at the ship but we just ate lunch at Pop and were actually happy to have no lines and go right on board.

I know what a lanyard is but 1 person in here said he was a lanyard wearer (not snobby but proud?.

What was he talking about????

I know what a lanyard is but 1 person in here said he was a lanyard wearer (not snobby but proud?.

What was he talking about????

There is a link on here (I think it's title is Disney Magic lack of pixie dust) that basically accuses people who wear the lanyards-esp. the gold and platinum, of being snobby and elitist. It's one of the many tangents that thread has taken.

Hi Sue.

Are they wearing it on the cruise or during the port stops??

If yes, why? Do they get anything for wearing them around??

There is a link on here (I think it's title is Disney Magic lack of pixie dust) that basically accuses people who wear the lanyards-esp. the gold and platinum, of being snobby and elitist. It's one of the many tangents that thread has taken.

It didn't accuse everyone who wears a gold or platinum lanyard of being snobby, the poster just noted that on the WBTA (which isn't made up of the normal mix of cruisers due to school schedules and the length of the cruise) there were a lot of people who were wearing lanyards who acted very entitled due to the lanyard. Then a lot of folks took it personally, and it went from there.

So from reading the other post it seems I will be on my first cruise with people with small pockets and with people that have security issues.

Cant wait

It didn't accuse everyone who wears a gold or platinum lanyard of being snobby, the poster just noted that on the WBTA (which isn't made up of the normal mix of cruisers due to school schedules and the length of the cruise) there were a lot of people who were wearing lanyards who acted very entitled due to the lanyard. Then a lot of folks took it personally, and it went from there.

I stand corrected...it did not say that everyone who wears a lanyard is snobby.

So from reading the other post it seems I will be on my first cruise with people with small pockets and with people that have security issues.

Cant wait

:lmao:

Don't think that way. 99% of the people you will come to meet will be wonderful. Remember that people tend to remember and discuss the negative more than the positive. There are also many links that discuss the wonderful time folks have.
Think positive, and don't let the turkeys get you down. It's vacation.
Have a terrific time!:thumbsup2

Thank you for the reports! We watched the ship sail out this weekend and can't wait to go on our adventure! Would you have run into a server named Jozef? We had him last May and loved him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter