Anyone planning for a resort only trip during closure?

abnihon

DIS Veteran
We rented DVC points at BC for April 3-12.
If parks are still closed we may go for a resort only trip.
Does anyone know if this will be possible?
Will resorts be fully operational with activities and restaurants?

No. It would just feel weird and wrong for me to stay at a Disney resort without being able to go to the parks.

We rented DVC points at BC for April 3-12.
If parks are still closed we may go for a resort only trip.
Does anyone know if this will be possible?
Will resorts be fully operational with activities and restaurants?
With airfare oh so cheap and an abundance of available villas, it is really tempting to leave the cold Northeast for Florida sunshine. But when my rational side gets the better of me, there is no way that I am getting on an airplane right now. I am in that “over 60” at-risk category. And even if I didn’t get ill, I wouldn’t want to risk turning up positive and transmitting the virus to other, more vulnerable family members (my MIL is 94 and has COPD).

I’m sure that Disney will do their best to entertain and accommodate guests at the resorts just like they do when parks are closed in anticipation of a hurricane. Disney Springs will be open and I’m guessing that there will be a lot to do. If you decide to go, social distancing may be impractical but try anyway. Practice good hand washing techniques and bring Lysol wipes to clean all of the frequently touched surfaces in your villa.

I don’t think the resorts will stay opened for long without the parks. That is, other than VB, HH and Aulani, and they only if people are willing to travel.

I have done resort only stays before but with the parks closed it almost feels weird. In saying that, I would not be surprised if the closure of parks goes longer and then maybe the adding of closure of the resorts. Think about it there are many people at each of the resorts.

There is actually a note on the DVC member website that indicates that resort amenities could be limited,

It may be more to prepare people in case everything isn’t going as planned, but I would expect you may find somethings lacking

We've done resort only couples vacations during our son's grad school time after four years of college and five years of prep school...tix were a luxury at that point and thank goodness we had the foresight to buy DVC in 1996 and stash SW points so we were able to stretch our budget. We actually enjoyed not having to commute daily to a park. We'd ride the monorail and plan our days around lunch and the pool - better than being in NH freezing to death! We were able to enjoy leisurely meals at all the resorts and check out things we never saw because we were too busy getting to the parks. If we were younger, didn't have health and mobility issues I'd consider it...if we lived closer I'd be all over it.

We would but being from the UK no idea when we will be able to visit again, when we were at BWV during Irma there was lots of extra activities on & characters. If there are plenty of people at the resorts they may do something similar.

We would but being from the UK no idea when we will be able to visit again, when we were at BWV during Irma there was lots of extra activities on & characters. If there are plenty of people at the resorts they may do something similar.
Not this time. They are not using a hurricane plan this time and they don't want people congregating.

Plus, airflights in the US might be affected next, especially with flights from areas with hot zones or more cases and deaths. I heard that this morning.

The other issue I was thinking about was Disney transportation. Will they continue using buses to transport to Disney Spring and to other resorts? Or the monorail or Disney boats? That's a great way to crowd a bunch of people together in one small space.

Plus, airflights in the US might be affected next, especially with flights from areas with hot zones or more cases and deaths. I heard that this morning.

The other issue I was thinking about was Disney transportation. Will they continue using buses to transport to Disney Spring and to other resorts? Or the monorail or Disney boats? That's a great way to crowd a bunch of people together in one small space.

They are announcing cutting domestic flights as I type this. A TSA agent at MCO tested positive for Covid-19.
After today, the monorail is supposedly not running. I think it’s bus only, from the announcement I saw, so unsure about boats to DS.

Prior to announcement of the parks closing, we were hoping they would not be impacted, and probably would have kept our plans despite all that was going on (I know I'm opening myself up to be judged in admitting that. To be fair, though, this was while things were still relatively "normal"). When the park closures were announced we very briefly considered making it a resort only stay. But we weighed out all of the factors and quickly abandoned that plan and made the call to cancel altogether.

our check in date is April 3 an I am on hold now... I want to move our trip to Sept, and I dont want to lose points... I would not be heading there now with the way things are.

Yup as of friday 5pm all hotels and the Springs closed until at least end of month. At BLT now and just got the paper under the door

We have an April 12th check in. As long as the hotels are open, we are still going. Hopefully it will be nice weather!

DS Disney owned properties will be closing on Mar 17. Some non-Disney owned stores have already closed. I'd bet the rest will close shortly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter