Anyone "not" purchase insurance?

We didn't use insurance on our 4 day cruise last summer...I kept putting it off but luckily nothing happened.
Now when Dad booked this one last summer (I was with him) he didn't even think twice--he definately wanted insurance. He has had back issues, mom has 2 replacement knees, and they are both in their 70s, who knew how they would make it through the year between booking and cruising? Praise God they are still here and healthy, but he didn't want to take a chance.
Robin M.

Towards the end of our cruise I was taken ill. If I hadnt had travel insurance it would have increased my anxiety. Thankfully, my hospitalization was postponed until I was back home, but it was scarey being out on the ocean and feeling so bad. Just my opinion, but for a few $s more it gives peace of mind. Nat:Pinkbounc

Originally posted by piglet33
I never buy insurance, but that's just me.

Reneé

I cannot justify spending the extra dough!
Although my FIL2B used it last fall, they
had a trip to Europe planned and he came
down with this terrible back ache... turned
out it was an aneurism... they were able
to postpone 9 months with the insurance.

If I decided not to go on a trip like this it
would be because BF and I broke up...
most likely not because of a medical
condition!

I'd rather save the money and get more
souvenirs!

Just an FYI:

For those of you who are comparing the insurance that DCL offers with insurance from third parties, you should factor the following into your decision:
If you purchase the Vacation Protection Plan and cancel your vacation for any reason not covered by the insurance plan, Disney Cruise Vacations will credit 75% of the non-refundable cancellation fee toward a future Disney Cruise Vacations package commenced within one year after the start date of your original package.
This is from the brochure for the DCL offered insurance. Now, I won't say that you won't get a better deal elsewhere, just that you should keep this additional fact in mind when you are comparing.

To answere the OP's question:
We have never purchased trip insurance for any vacation, but for the 14 day Panama Canal cruise we decided that with the cost of the cruise and the possibility of something going wrong and needing to be transported back to the US during that time, it just wasn't worth the risk of not having the insurance. If I was ONLY risking the $5500 cost of the cruise, I may have skipped it, but when you add the "what could go wrong during the trip" to it, it changed my mind.

We have never bought the insurance mainly because our health plan at work covers us when out of the country, including evacuation for medical reasons. Similiar to the insurance we pay for the cost and they reimburse us.

We are considering for the 14 day panama canal trip, getting just trip cancellation/missed flight type insurance.

Originally posted by mmouse37
Considering it can cost upward of $20,000 to be flight evacuated off an island I always buy insurance now. Plus, the thought of being in a hosptial on one of the islands does not thrill me.

MJ

My neighbor got stuck by food poisoning on her honeymoon while on a layover in Puerto Rico. Took them forever to locate someone in the hospital who could speak english. Luckily, my neighbor is a nurse an knew what medication to tell the doctor she needed. Insurance for that airlift to Miami might not be such a bad thing.

I don't buy travel/trip insurance because I've found I'm covered elsewhere for most everything (if not everything) by my homeowners, auto, medical, credit card, etc insurance. Check and see what you've already got covered before you buy!

Pam

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by piglet33
I never buy insurance, but that's just me.

Reneé
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ditto

The one and only time i didn't purchase the insurance was the one and only time I needed it.

We have never purchased trip insurance before...until this up comming trip/cruise. I didn't feel spending the 30pp for the four of us was to much....that's including trip insurance for our daughter who has a pre-existing medical condition. Her condition alone frightens me enough to get the insurance...you just never know.

So...yes more than likely it won't be needed...and yes our health insurance, auto, and homeowners would cover most of everything...but for the additional peace of mind and the ablity to get back everything if for some reason we had to cancel the week before...I'm all for the insurance now.....

We looked around and compaired prices and policies....ended up going with Travel Gurad

We paid $175 for our insurance (2 adults) through Travel Insured.

They may be more, but they are extremely reputable in the cruise community, and it is nice to have a safety blanket "just in case". could spend the money on an excursion, and with any luck, it will be wasted cash, but if I need it, then it is there. My work insurance doesn't cover international travel, and many places require cash up front.

Travel Insured says they will forward funds to begin with to the hospital, so they won't wait if my credit cards can't handle it.

Plus, there are all sorts of smaller things taht may make up the cost, such as reimbursing any prepaid costs to cruise, hotel, air, car, etc that were made. If Disney cancels the cruise, we will be covered on all fronts, and can still have a honeymoon at WDW. They also give you money for lost luggage or to catch a plane to the next port if you miss the embarkation.

Bottom line, piece of mind for the cost of an excursion.

Oh, and the higher cost for mine is because Travel Insured is now the primary. I could have purchased it for $65 total, but that would have made it secondary to my other potential coverages.

I thought it easier to simply call one number during time of trouble instead of several.

My first suggestion is to look at your medical insurance. Does it cover you outside of the US? Does it pay for a helicoptor evacuation if needed?

If both of the answers are "yes," then the most you stand to lose is the cost of your trip. If your medical insurance won't cover a helicoptor evac, keep in mind that one can cost as much as $25K.

There are many private companies that are cheaper than DCL for travel insurance. All that said, I've gone both ways. Generally, if I'm booking far in advance, I do the insurance. Otherwise, on short notice trips, I've done without it.

I simply can't imagine going on any kind of trip without travel insurance. There are just so many things that can go wrong, from illness and accidents to flight delays, hotel problems, and more.

Also a word of caution to those relying on insurance provided by their credit card - please call them and make you know what and who it covers. More and more companies are changing their policies to only cover the cardholder, sometimes spouse and dependent children but not always.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter