Anyone NOT love California Grill?

Violet Parr

DIS Veteran
I'm rethinking it for some reason. I just can't get excited about it anymore, and because we'll have the three kiddos with us (9, 6, and a rambunctious 1) I wonder if maybe it would be something best saved for another trip when dh and I can go alone.

I'm not looking for positive reviews or encouragement to go (plenty of that here :) ) but I'd really like to hear if anyone felt they would have rather had a different meal.

Thanks!

VP

My son said his fish was the best he had that week, but, due to the service (Jorge) and some menu choices, I was left with an "ick" feeling, plus I felt that, as a whole, we had better food at some of the other restaurants- surprisingly, Wolfgang Puck Cafe did a better job with the overall execution of its food (as far as temperature, taste, even the flatbread, etc.), and I loved my lamb at Jiko. My husband said that while the steak was the thickest he had that week, its flavor was not as good as the ones he had at Jiko, which surprised me. My son said his father's steak was not as good as the one he had at Narcoossees. Both of them are very picky about their steaks. Our server was awful with the teens, refusing to get the chef for our son's allergies (until my son insisted- my husband timed that it was 3 minutes, 23 seconds- after my husband started timing it- before he would get the chef); saying that all food was prepped at 2:00 p.m. so accommodations could be made; recommending items that, from what we and the kids said, were obviously not appropriate for their tastes; refusing to allow any switching of side dishes until we insisted; refusing to allow the teenagers to order from the kid's menu (we did not have any problems with piecing together a palatable meal for our one picky eater at any other TS restaurants- and we offered to pay any "inconvenience", etc. fee). It was our most expensive meal, and compared to others for price, taste, and quality of ingredients, one of the worst for value.

We have eaten there a few times in the past for the fireworks view; and it has always only been okay for us when compared to other 2 TS- maybe it is just the dishes I have ordered, but the desserts, etc. have never been my favorite.

I personally feel that California Grill is the most overrated restaurant on disney property- followed by Le Cellier, of course. Everyone's tastes and expectations are different so I'm not going to get into my personal opinions on why I think they're overrated. IMO... Back a few years ago disney was not known for their restaurants. The food was overpriced & mediocre. You didn't need ADRs, you just walked up when you wanted to eat. There wasn't a lot of varied choices- every restaurant felt like you'd eaten there before. Nothing special, the best theme park food around, but it was still just theme park food. Le Cellier & California Grill were some of the minority that were actually very good restaurants. Due to this they got more & more popular- rightfully so. However, IMO, now that all of wdw dining has gotten an overhaul, these restaurants are just not deserving of all the hype.

Really though you'll only know for sure if you try it for yourself.

I wouldn't take "rambunctious" kids there.

Thanks. Our older two kids are absolute angels, especially in restaurants. When we first made the reservation, our youngest was a sweet little 6 month old. He's now 14 months, mobile, and a bit nutters. I think part of my hesitation is knowing that it wouldn't be an easy experience for us (we always, always immediately take our babies out of restaurants to the lobby, foyer, etc when they are crying. Sitting at the table to console is not an option.)

I just can't see 3 hours of getting up with him when he gets antsy.

VP

The problem you will have is that California Grill, being an entire floor of the resort, really doesn't have a lobby or foyer that will get the child out of earshot of the other guests. There is an outside observation deck you can take the child to, but that won't work in inclement weather and there isn't much to do out there besides look at the view.

I would agree with MissMet. California Grill is a mess. The food is good but becasue of the fireworks the restarant reservation system is managed poorly, the restaraunt is extremely loud and service mediocre at best. It certainly has a great view but IMO that is about it. For food and service Flying Fish, Jiko and Artist's Point are head and shoulder's above CG. If you want fireworks go to Rose and Crowne :)

B.

Though the wife and I love going to California Grill and go at least once during every vacation, I'm not surprised by critiques of it. It isn't the most romantic spot and lord knows it isn't the best run or has the best value. It does among the best food still, at least I think so, and we've never had anything but fine service. Those expecting a quiet table, candlelight, and a perfect view for the fireworks are probably in for a downer (although that experience can be had on rare occasions, I'm told).

Thanks everyone. I think I am going to cancel. I'm sure it would be lovely with just dh and I, or even just the older two. Our ADR was for 5:30, so we wouldn't have seen the fireworks anyway. If we did, that would be a ridiculously long dinner for a 1 year old to sit through.

Bummed, but this does free us up to try 2 other 1 credit TS restaurants.

Thanks everyone,

VP

We have been to Disney World numerous times but never ate at the California Grill until last week. We are from the Chicago area and are use to the best of steaks and found the steaks and the service to be fantastic. We had the flatbread followed by 2 filet, 1 pork tenderloin, 1 chicken and 2 children's steaks and dessert. Everyone raved about the food and our waiter could not have been nicer to the 9 and 11 year old. We had 7:30 reservations with 8:00 Wishes and he timed out meal so that we could watch Wishes and not come back to cold food. The cost of the meal was about $20 more than the prior night at Chef Mickey's and the quality of food at Chef Mickey's could not be compared. Our steakhouses charge about the same as the California Grill so the bill was not out of line to us.

We have been to Disney World numerous times but never ate at the California Grill until last week. We are from the Chicago area and are use to the best of steaks and found the steaks and the service to be fantastic. We had the flatbread followed by 2 filet, 1 pork tenderloin, 1 chicken and 2 children's steaks and dessert. Everyone raved about the food and our waiter could not have been nicer to the 9 and 11 year old. We had 7:30 reservations with 8:00 Wishes and he timed out meal so that we could watch Wishes and not come back to cold food. The cost of the meal was about $20 more than the prior night at Chef Mickey's and the quality of food at Chef Mickey's could not be compared. Our steakhouses charge about the same as the California Grill so the bill was not out of line to us.

Thanks, :) but I already canceled. Our bill would definitely not have been only $20 more than Chef Mickey's. We're big on our sushi and wine with our dinner. :) I just knew that with the particular toddler in our group we'd have a challenging time, and I was hoping to get some negative reviews to help take the sting out of cancelling. :)

VP

Will be going for the first time this weekend, finally. Of the Signature level restaurants, I've eaten at Artist Point, Jiko, Flying Fish, Le Cellier, Yachtsman (way back when) and the Brown Derby (which, while good, I wouldn't really put up there with the others).

Of those that I have been to, Artist Point is easily my favorite. I'd put Jiko and Flying Fish right behind it. I actually just got the table at Cali Grill yesterday, and until then we had been planning on going to Artist Point.

I've read everything there is to read about the Cali Grill and while it seems a lot of people think one of the other Signature restaurants is better, I'm still way excited just because I've never eaten there before. Even if it turns out to not be "the best" of the lot, I'm sure it will still be a top-notch dinner. Plus at the very least I'll get to check another restaurant off my "to dine at" list :)

I really liked the food at California Grill but the tables were close together, it was a "Grill" like atmosphere, not really fine dining like some other Disney restaurants (Citricos). But the food was very good! We had sushi, the filet, and halibut fish.

Wasn't there for the fireworks but I really didn't think much of the observation deck -- it is cement with railings, no seats, and people were smoking out there. If I want to see fireworks, I'll just go into Magic Kingdom.

But.... we were there at sunset, and the views were wonderful as the sun was setting. Made for some great photos of our resort, the Polynesian which could be viewed from there.

We are going to California Grill again, at sunset.

We love the place BUT... I wouldn't take a "rambunctous" 1 year old to any signature restaurant. You're too likely to end up rushing through the meal rather than enjoying it. If he's not able to sit quietly and be entertained in place for at least 90min, skip it until he's older.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter