Anyone not enjoy Kennedy Space Center?

LeslieG

DIS Veteran
We will have one day pre-cruise and was considering Kennedy Space Center. Has anyone gone and not enjoyed it, thought it was boring, not worth the money? I don't think I can get free tickets from my congressman at this point. Our trip is only a month away. I see they have a tour that takes you out to the launch pad that looks neat. I guess they are going to dismantle it soon.

We went last year and it depends on your interests. My self and daughter aged 15 had enough after about 1.5 hours but my husband and sons 17 and 12 loved it they went on some of the specialized tours.

The phrasing of your question already shows that you are not interested.

Why go if you are already talking yourself out of it. :confused3

Its NASA - its HISTORY of the US Space Program. There are Lots of ROCKETS and exhibits. If these things interest you then its a great visit - if they dont then it will be a complete waste of your time and money.

I think it really depends on your family and your interests. Are you interested in space? Do you like science centres and similar exhibits? How old are your kids? We went last year with a four year old and an almost 3 year old and felt there wasn't much there for that age group. They were too young for the tours and they didn't get terribly much from the exhibits so we were a bit disappointed since we like that kind of thing in general. I think it would be great for a space loving family with older kids, but it's definitely not a theme park.

I've been to the space center many times. To me it is an incredible place. I've ridden along side the crawler once when we were lucky enough to encounter it on a tour with no load, normally you can't get close to it. The Saturn V exhibit is very good and should not be missed.

My favorite experience there though can't be had anymore. We got up early, three days in a row, and finally got lucky enough to watch a shuttle launch. It was spectacular. They have the shuttle Atlantis on display now.

Before we leave, we make sure to stop at the space mirror memorial. And always take a walk through the rocket garden. There always seems to be something we haven't seen, and the old stuff always remains interesting.

Ymmv.

. . . Has anyone gone and not enjoyed it, thought it was boring, not worth the money?
It looks like you're looking for justification NOT to go.

Sorry, but we went in 2012 and found it fascinating and worthwhile.

Woody

We went once because it was included in a city pass that we had. Since it was included we thought, why not? It was fun I suppose, but I don't have a great interest in the subject matter to begin with, so it was a couple hour thing to do.

If you have family who is really into space, or science, or rockets, then yes, go. Otherwise, find something else to do.

BTW, my favorite thing happened in line there. When we went there were really long lines and my SIL said to me quietly "wow, what's taking so long with these ticket lines? It's not like it's rocket science" to which I answered, "and if it were, it really still shouldn't be a problem". She totally didn't realize what she said and it still cracks me up to this day.

We went a few years ago, to be honest I wasn't very interested in going but DS really keen. In the end we had a great day, my DS definitely got more out of it than I did, but I still enjoyed it as did DH & DD. The memorial was particularly moving., and we couldn't get over the size of the NASA building :)

We went last August. There was myself and I have been 2 times before, many years ago, and my husband who had only had a very short trip there about 15 years ago, and my daughter and her boyfriend both aged 20, she had been previous times with me but her boyfriend had never been and so he is the reason that we decided to go on our last pre cruise stay in Canaveral. We like things to do with space but are in no way mad about it. Having said this we all had a great time at KSC and said that if we had the time again before another cruise we would go back again. The IMAX films are brilliant and very informative.
I would say that this place is better suited to slightly older children than small ones.

We've gone a couple times over the last few years, and definitely enjoyed it, none of us were bored. My daughter is now 17, my nephew that usually comes with is now 16, and my senior mom went with us. We were able to be there once when one of the shuttles was out prior to a launch, very cool. We haven't been there since the shuttle program stopped, but we do plan to go again soon. I would encourage a visit there, even if you only go the one time, because it's pretty amazing. :thumbsup2

We have free admission through our congressman, so we are going in May. I'm not the least bit expecting everyone in our party of ten to be WOWED; but some of my family rolled their eyes at Civil War reenactment, and others yawned at our Underground RR tour. It's history and we're in the area, so we are giving it a go. I don't think it is on par with MK, but I'm guessing we'll have some fun family time and enjoy some of the displays.

I found it to be very boring & horribly overpriced, but space exploration is not just my thing. DH loved it, but still found it to be horribly overpriced.

It's a fascinating slice of history. Some will remember the first rocket used to orbit the earth, some will remember the Apollo missions and the first moon walk, some will be fascinated by the Shuttle. My DD was most fascinated by the construction of modules for the International Space Center. To each their own, you can make of it what you want.

There's a little bit of nostalgia for everybody. We enjoyed our visit.

We were just there on Saturday after leaving the ship - spent approx. 6 hours there - 8 in our group including four kids ranging in ages from 5-9. There was lots to see and more than we could fit in our time...all the videos we saw were really neat and we didn't make it to any of the IMAX. Bus tour was cool - tour guide was great. Lots to see and do...it was, however, pricey - luckily we got in free through our congress person (thank you Disboards!), but purchasing snacks was OUTRAGEOUS! Fast food for a family of four was over $40! It did say that the entire space is funded through visitors, no tax dollars...however, so I guess that is what is needed to get the job done. I would recommend a visit - a great piece of history and knowledge awaits!

I have to admit, I was honestly not excited or at all interested when my DH wanted to go on our last trip. But, he was doing WDW for me, so I thought I'd just put up with it. I was SO glad I did it. For me it was the sentimental stuff like seeing my kids stand on the same walkway as Neil Armstrong and that sort of thing that were worth it!

I don't see how anyone with even just a little patriotism couldn't enjoy it. The Atlantis exhibit is amazing and the moon landing movie you can watch at the end of the bus tour always makes me teary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter