Anyone know where to find an adapter?

polkadotsuitcase

Disney-loving mom!
So it looks like camping might be out of the question for us for quite a while. I was trying to be a good sport about it, but I keep finding myself standing on the porch, staring at the camper wistfully. I pulled out the Dutch oven the other day to make breakfast over the backyard firepit just so my hair could smell faintly of campfire the rest of the day! Pathetic? Sure. I have no pride.

Anyhoo. We have a 30A plug on the side of the house for our generator. It looks like this:

June2010002.jpg

My camper plug is the usual:

June2010001.jpg

Where can I find an adapter to connect the two? I've been poking around online but I'm coming up empty. Does such a beast exist?

Thanks for any help. And yes, this means I plan to pull that baby into the backyard, open her up, and sit under the awning in the middle of my backyard. (See: "no pride," above.)

Check the following online sites:
campingworld.com
northerntool.com
This type of adapter is readily available online and stocked in these retailers physical stores.

If it can't be bought inna store, with a couple local electricians in the phone book,,call'em up, tellthem what you need and maybe one of them would make you one for a little $.

:confused3 Don't hurt to ask, all they can say is no,,
on the other hand :woohoo:.

Also a thought, if you have male connector on the side of the house for your generator, it is probably used to 'input' power into the house when running the generator, not to plug your camper into. You need a proper female plug installed for this. I recommend consulting with an electrician, don't want you electrocuted!:thumbsup2

Also a thought, if you have male connector on the side of the house for your generator, it is probably used to 'input' power into the house when running the generator, not to plug your camper into. You need a proper female plug installed for this. I recommend consulting with an electrician, don't want you electrocuted!:thumbsup2

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...very good point. Duh. I think you just saved me from getting one wicked perm!

Sigh...so much for my backyard camping destination!

Thanks for the help, EC and Frank!

If that's the case and the generator itself has a female output, I think one of these might work.

http://tweetys.com/rvgeneratoradapter4-prong30amp.aspx

No, no, no!! Have a licensed electrician come out & evaluate this. As OP stated, this is probably used to hook your house up to a generator to keep the fridge and lights running in case of a power failure. 30 amps won't do much more than that.

I'm assuming you have a free standing generator, or your house was wired to accept a free standing generator. Because you are asking this question, I feel certain you've never had to use a generator for your house. Doing so without knowing how, can cause your house to fry!!

Step away from the plugs until you talk with an electrician!!!

I'm assuming you have a free standing generator, or your house was wired to accept a free standing generator. Because you are asking this question, I feel certain you've never had to use a generator for your house. Doing so without knowing how, can cause your house to fry!!

We've used the genny after a hurricane and two ice storms. I just wasn't thinking clearly in my lack-of-camping depression. EC cured me, though!

Thanks for the help, all!

Don't know how big you camper is. But they make adapters so you can plug it in any outlet. Should be ok if you aren't running the a/c all the time. You can get them at Lowes for about 5 bucks.

Don't know how big you camper is. But they make adapters so you can plug it in any outlet. Should be ok if you aren't running the a/c all the time. You can get them at Lowes for about 5 bucks.

Dan, you just gave me hope again. I don't need a/c. All I wanted to do was scratch my camping itch ASAP. Game back on! Thanks. :flower3:

Isn't this all you need?:

Dog Bone Electrical Adapter

I use something like this all the time at home.

I just connect a heavy extension cord to it, and plug into a standard electric outlet.

It will run my AC, fridge and lights.

I just have a pop-up, so not a lot of power is needed.

But I would think if you are just using it for lights, it should work fine.

TCD

Most Wal-Marts will have what you need in the automotive dept.

Actually TCD, that is also backwards. This is what she needs to plug the camper into a standard household outlet:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/power-grip-generator-adapter-dogbones/p2024267.jcwx

Whoops!

You are right (one of these days I am going to get tired of saying that).

I didn't look at the photo- but the one I linked would be to plug into the campground power, and then attach an extension cord. That is not what polkadotsuitcase needs.

I do have one that goes the other way- you plug the camper cord into it, and then you can plug into a standard household outlet. I actually have two of these- one I bought from an RV dealer, and the other at Home Depot.

So, they are readily available.
TCD

here is what it looks like
wtAX5MNzqikyGR47mWZz25g5UgRexYbmLw3m0boxhSgS3V6hipz4bM3q-RfRCBXFhefNbkOeWBCx7zta4HAHkqf1ee2RuKRW65Kv-Ln1desGS_2_ngFIMXuvfNv6h-R55y_MPniNVA1hkyjfUAFXDmwHK9CVhbT7h-ygmFo

you can find them at wal-mart in the camping section or Lowes or home depot in the electrical isle should be less then $10.00

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter