Anyone know wages for princess?

irishbosoxfan said:
I think what she means is if someone makes minimum wage at $5.15 an hour that totals $206 a week BEFORE taxes--So it's probably about $155 AFTER===Figure if her rent is about $700 a month which is median that means she doesn't even make enough for rent much less utilities or food.

Wow. If that's true, how does Disney keep so many employees?
I'd think no one could afford to live, and there would be nobody to work parks.

My SIL moved to Orlando in the hopes of becoming a princess. She interviewed and was told that you couldn't start out at as a princess - you had to start as a full costume character (usually a lesser known one), and work your way up. I believe she said it could take atleast two years to work your way up and the starting wage was somewhere around $8/hr (this was about 3 years ago). She now waitresses at RFC in DTD, and makes no where near $120K! She said that most people under tip at DTD, and it's very frustrating, as their hrly wage is pitiful (most times her official check is zero or only a couple of $$ after everything is taken out). As she has a degree, she will be moving out of the area soon...it's too tough to make a living waitressing there.

Just my two cents!

As we are from the Uk, we struck up a conversation with a girl from the Uk at the Rose and Crown in Epcot. The wages she was on, was really low. Much lower than she would earn in the UK. HOWEVER she loved all the tips, as obviously people eating tipped ( we dont tip as much in the UK) She was doing it for the Summer for "experience" but did say she originally was trying to be a character ( not sure which one) but couldnt cos she was not from USA ( Not sure why?) but anyway she was best mates with " Ariel" and as a waitress she earnt more than the character??? Also house or mouse keeping paid very well, according to her, again in tips, not actual wages.

They are certainly underpaid in my opinion, but fur characters make less than face, I know it's no more than $8./hr....the college students make even less...but they are housed in disney complexes and charged $60.00/week(that figure is from 4 years ago when DD was an intern)....they still had to pay for the washing machines in the complex, food, phone, gas....although Disney does provide bus service to and from these complexes, so they wouldn't have to drive to work to save some money. The foreign exchange students make a bit more than the American CP's. But, it's a wonderful experience for them, they get to have Disney on their resume!

Wendy1953 said:
They are certainly underpaid in my opinion,

I wonder what the company does to trick or force them into agreeing to be paid so little.

Is there a crisis in wages here?

I'm kinda in the "why do people think they should make so much more money?" category. :confused3 To me it's like a a part-time job or summer job that any highschool/university student would get. Some people get or choose better, higher paying jobs and some don't. Some kids work at McDonald's, some kids work at Disney or Camp for the summer or the year. Some people who are not kids also work these kinds of jobs and START at the same wage then move up the pay scale with seniority and experience. :thumbsup2

I have been a waitress at some faily high-end places and I never came remotely close to $100,000. You must consider that many, many more people are bad tippers than are good tippers. Plus, there are long afternoon hours between lunch and dinner where you make little or nothing. Waiting tables is a tough business and most of the people that run you to death are terrible tippers - and since you spent so much time dealing with their demands, the other tables got didn't get enough attention so they short you on tips too. I make a lot more money now than I did then, and I never want to have to wait tables again.

My school career site had a disney ad and was offering $10 per hour. It did not specify what job, but i have a feeling that it is probably the average pay over there

Benefits, such as 401K's/retirement plans and medical/health benefits are very costly. Perhaps they can afford to pay part time or seasonal/student employees a bit more an hour w/o benefits than full time employees. Some may look at 8$ an hour job (entry level pay) with benefits (with possible promotions and wage increases with seniority) as far more desirable than P/T seasonal work w/o benefits. I work with a guy, who I hired, who worked for Disney Corp. in Cali. as an accountant for nearly 7 years. He loved his job but had to move back east when a family member took ill. After listening to him I learned that Disney is like any other employer, if you are some what smart, work hard and show loyalty you will be promoted. Entry level pay is always low but factor in benefits and your wage progression over the years and one may never know. When I retire I can afford to get a job there but I'm not so sure I am nice enough.
Cheers :drinking1

Hourly pay varies according to status and role. Part time, seasonal, and college program cast members earn less than full time. Examples: Merchandise: $6.97 hr FT with small annual raises for only eight years--wage then "topped out" (frozen) at $11 an hour. Characters: start at $7.50 an hour. Resort front desk and concierge: start at $7.35 hour. Some roles pay a small premium ranging from .25 - .75 an hour: lifeguarding, confectionary, quick service foods, training. Tipped positions have a lower base pay, but tips are usually better than hourly (but not $100k :rotfl: )

Yes there are benefits, although some, like health care, have recently been reduced. It is VERY hard to make ends meet when you take home less than $1000 a month. This is why turnover is currently very high. BUT, most of those of us who can stick it out love being part of the magic. And we work a lot of overtime!

The Disney jobline is 407-828-1000

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter