Anyone just back from Alaska?

discruiser

DVC Member SSR-VB-AKV
We are leaving next Tuesday on the Wonder for Alaska. I am trying to decide what we need to bring, clothes-wise, for the weather. I've been checking the weather for Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan and I'm thinking we might be able to get away with longs sleeves and hoodie-type jackets. We also plan on bringing rain ponchos in the event of rain. I am not sure what the weather will be like in Tracy Arm, however. Will we need winter coats, hats and/or gloves? I imagine we'll be up on deck or on our verandah for most of the day. We are a family of 6 and space will be tight so I would like to leave the winter coats at home. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Kim

We are leaving next Tuesday on the Wonder for Alaska. I am trying to decide what we need to bring, clothes-wise, for the weather. I've been checking the weather for Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan and I'm thinking we might be able to get away with longs sleeves and hoodie-type jackets. We also plan on bringing rain ponchos in the event of rain. I am not sure what the weather will be like in Tracy Arm, however. Will we need winter coats, hats and/or gloves? I imagine we'll be up on deck or on our verandah for most of the day. We are a family of 6 and space will be tight so I would like to leave the winter coats at home. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Kim

Have you read any recent trip reports? That may give you an idea of current weather....also check out the thread on Alaskan Excursions Reviews.....people may mention what they wore.

MJ

I am already think about this for next year! We literally do not own winter coats. It is rarely below 60 here and I really don't want to buy them if I don't have to. I may buy one for the baby and my husband and I can survive with sweatshirts and a light jacket, I hope! I think we have gloves somewhere and I have never worn a scarf in my life. :rotfl: I have been to Ketchikan over the 4th of July and I was fine in a sweatshirt or long sleeves temperature wise, but it POURED rain the entire week we were there. Even the locals said it always rains, but not usually so hard for so long. I had to borrow a heavier rain jacket from my boyfriend's mom.

Thanks,
Kim

Hi Kim - We are on the same cruise. I am just packing jeans, sweat pants, shorts, shirts - long and short sleeved and hoodie type jackets. I do not think it will much colder than our winters here (I live in League City) and my DD would wear shorts and a jacket to school all of the time. I am just stressing about the suitcases and baggage fees.

I just got back from the June 7th sailing. Really, layering is the key because you never know what it is going to be like...and a strong wind can make an otherwise comfortable day seem much colder! I'll tell you what I wore, and it should give you an idea of what to pack.

For all three ports and while outside on Tracy Arm day, I wore a base layer shirt...this is the exact one I had and loved it (http://www.rei.com/product/795083/rei-lightweight-polartec-power-dry-long-sleeve-v-neck-womens), a short sleeved t-shirt over it, a lightweight fleece jacket, and a waterproof/wind proof/breathable jacket (this is the one I had...but I was lucky to get it on sale (http://www.rei.com/product/794277/rei-kimtah-jacket-with-event-fabric-womens). On bottom, I wore this base layer (http://www.rei.com/product/795095/rei-lightweight-polartec-power-dry-long-underwear-bottoms-womens) and water resistant/windproof pants over it. The only hat I used was the hood of my jacket, and I brought gloves but only used them a couple of times because they made it difficult to use my camera.

For Tracy Arm, Skagway, and Juneau I only took off layers while inside (inside the train in Skagway and inside the whale watching boat in Juneau). While outside in those ports I was glad I had all of the layers. In Ketchikan, I was comfortable but would have been fine with less layers...it was not as cold there. Now, I should mention that I am from Texas, so I am probably more sensitive to the cold than most! I saw just about everything when it came to people's clothing on the boat. There were people that were much more bundled up than I was, and there were also people walking around on deck in short sleeved shirts. I really think it depends on your personal tolerance for cold weather.

As far as on the ship, I had read so many reports that it was cold in the dining rooms and common areas, however I was actually hot most of the time while inside and wore short sleeves to dinner and the shows each night, and never needed the cardigan I brought. My kids burned up in the kids club...they ended up wearing shorts and t-shirts while there. I had packed one pair of shorts for each of us, but my husband and I never wore ours.

I brought jeans, but only wore them on the ship...I did not want to wear them in port because you never knew when it might start raining, and I hate wet jeans. The water resistant pants I had were very comfortable (I bought them at REI).

I'd say the best item I brought was the windproof/water proof jacket. I think it is worth it to invest in a high quality windproof/waterproof jacket that is still breathable. We were VERY lucky to not have much rain on our cruise, but it did sprinkle on us a few times, so I was glad I had the water proof jacket.

I was just on the Wonder May 31- June 7 and the weather was not bad. The weather might be calling for 60s but there was winds in Skagway which made it feel like the 50s. In Juneau, it rained and Ketchikan it was sunny for us. To answer your questions, it comes down to you. I was fine in jeans and short sleeves t-shirts. My wife who is always cold wear long john and jeans with shirt and a sweater. Tracy Arm I did put on a sweatshirt when we got near the glacier. Most importantly pack a rain coat or ponco.

If anyone does get cold and didn't pack enough, there is store called Alaka Shirt Co. located in Skagway and Juneau with cheap jackets and sweatshirt.

Winter coats are not necessary. Dress in layers. Pack for all types of weather because it can vary from day to day even.

We just came back from the June 7th sailing and did not need winter coats. We wore jeans, regular long sleeve shirts on the ship and layered with fleece jackets and waterproof shells while outside. My daughter wore her fleece hat and gloves on deck on Tracy Arm day. I did bring short sleeve shirts for everyone and wished I had left all but one or two at home.

The more time you plan to spend outside on deck, the more layers you'll need - especially while the ship is moving. I definitely needed my hat and gloves, and I have cruised in May, June, and July.

We're just back from the June 7th cruise, too. Temps were around 50 most of the week, but luckily no real rain. We wore our Columbia fleece jackets constantly, layered over long-sleeve shirts for me and DD and short sleeves for DH. On Tracy Arm day, it was not bad if you were sheltered from the wind, but if you were right up front, it was COLD! That was the one day I was glad I packed a down vest with hood and a scarf and gloves.

For the excursions, it depends on where you're going. At the White Pass summit, it was pretty cold. The coldest was on the Bering Sea Crab Boat tour. They handed out extra coats and turned on overhead heaters.

Keep in mind that any time the ship is moving fast, it gets really windy. I tried going up on deck for Pirate Night and it was just too cold -- there were definitely fewer than a hundred people there for the beginning of the party. The last sea day I went out in the morning on deck and could see my breath. There were still lots of kids in the pools, though!

It was much warmer in port - it could get up into the mid-60s when the sun shone and was quite pleasant. I was always comfortable at dinner -- on formal night I wore a sleeveless dress with a pashmina wrap and was fine.

Most useful item was fleece jackets. Thing I most wished I'd brought but didn't was sweatpants to wear hanging out on the verandah. Item I never wore once was anything short sleeved.

we're on this cruise too and this is a pain. we're also spending a
week @ d.lnd, so we need to cover both grounds, hot/cold.

we're thinking layers too but not so much with all the extra fees.

on an off topic, i hope things settle down in vancover & all the
riots they were having because of hockey.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter