• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone into YOGA? I want to start - not sure where to begin...

Torontogal

Mouseketeer & Disney Vacation Club Member
I have been thinking of starting yoga for some time now. I know there are several varieties of it and wanted to find out if anyone on here can recommend which type?
I am not looking at learning how to put my leg over my head. Simply wanted to learn how to relax, mediate, mild body stretches and breathing - nothing too intense.
My wonderful father passed away and I find my spirit is wounded and i need something to help me relax and heal.
Thanks!

See if there is a local Yoga studio and contact them so they can tell you what type of classes they have for a beginner. Vinyasa is a good place to start.........by the way, the Child's Pose looks a bit like this :worship:

Thanks - I have contacted the local studios but no one is really explaining the differences. They all seem to say that their method is the best.
What are the main types of yoga?
I know there is Kundalini, etc...

I am sorry for your loss.

I do WISH that you find a healthy way to de-stress. You are wise for trying to do that.

I have not really done anything Yoga, I've been doing more of the Pilates-core strengthening--but want to look into a more formal Yoga opportunity.

I don't know if this will be of any help to you but thought I'd put the link here from the Yoga? on the Events side of the WISH threads.

I have the Pilates for Dummies DVD, which I think is really good. There is also a Yoga for Dummies DVD which personally have not tried, but have heard it is good as well.

See if there is a local Yoga studio and contact them so they can tell you what type of classes they have for a beginner. Vinyasa is a good place to start.........by the way, the Child's Pose looks a bit like this :worship:

I second this, you want a beginners class that is small. My first class I attended was with 4 other people, that gave me enough time with the instructer to get my poses correct. I love yoga and I really wish I still practiced. My class disbanded and I never got around to joining another.

It is very relaxing and therapetic. I have almost fallen asleep at the end due to the relaxation, and it was 8pm in the dark.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter