Anyone in here a medical lab tech or nurse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think career as a Medical lab technicians is the best one among all health care careers. This career takes only 2 years of training and also earns a good money. There are many good colleges offering online education in medical lab technician. These colleges provide every study material along with online lectures time to time. The best thing is that these colleges have provisions for scholarships and financial aids also. This almost reduces the cost of studies to a minimum. Following site has all the information about these scholarship programs.
http://medicallabtechnicianschool.org/medical-lab-tech-scholarships/

Scholarships are very important nowadays as the course fees are too high and you need some kind of aid to fulfill this kind of requirement.

I am an RN I would suggest asking your local college program to set you up to shadow for a few hours, maybe with one of the clinical instructors. Do you like people? Can you handle blood, guts, vomit, and poo on your shoes? Can your body handle being on your feet for 12 hour shifts? Can you bend, lift, and move people? New grads usually work nights if you work in a hospital for the first few months. I really do enjoy the patients, most of them are wonderful. It is a very high stress job and it is hard on your mind and body.

Although I enjoy being a nurse I do not think it is a great career choice right now. In some areas new graduates are not being hired, so check your local job market or ask the college what percent of last years class got a job upon graduation. It is very regional, some parts of the country are great while others there is a lot of unempolyed new grads. Hospitals do not want to pay for the amount of training a new graduate requires. There are some new graduate residencies available and theya re great if you can get one. You might want to consider getting a job as a CNA or Nurse aid in the area you think you would like to work in to get a feel for what it is like.

I completely agree. I've been a nurse 34 years and while i do like being a nurse, it isn't a field that i would recommend for my DD. Nursing is incredibly hard work, in some ways just as hard as some construction jobs. Lots of lifting & bending. The mental lifting is even harder. And as for new grads working "a few months of night shift" that may be true. In my experience that actually means "a few YEARS of night shift." I have 25 years of nights under my belt, in fact. Nursing is hard on the body. In 34 years I have gained two herniated discs and ruined feet. All those years of sleep deprivation caused two sleep disorders, depression and weight gain.

There are fields of nursing that aren't as hard on you as others. I have been a school nurse for 4 years and it is much easier on my back, feet, and knees. I come to work with my head full of experience and nursing knowledge, so I'm ready to handle just about anything. I'm just as much a nurse as ever, but now I'm not sacrificing myself 12 hours a day or night. But I have to tell you, I could not have done this job as a new nurse. I didn't know enough.

If you really want to be a nurse i would strongly suggest that you start as a CNA. THat will give you the hands-on experience to determine whether you want to go further. CNAs don't to exactly the same things as nurses, but the skill set is similar and you'll get the inside view of what working on a floor, in a hospital is like. I started as a CNA and it helped me tremendously in nursing school. Plus, I had the skills to put myself through school without breaking the bank. Nursing school is very expensive. Be sure that's realy what you want to do.

I was a medical technologist for more years than I care to remember.

There are different issues that need to be considered when choosing either RN or MT. First, as an MT, when I worked in a state that required special licensing, I made significantly more $$ than the state that I am in now that does not require that license (not ASCP or NCA but a special state license). So check that first.

Another thing to consider is patient contact. I never wanted that, so I picked a great medical field. If you enjoy the contact, I would not choose MT.

There are 2 'official' lab degrees. MLT (medial lab technician) and MT (medical technologist). Both have accreditation agencies with exams that must be passed (these are national agencies, not state) in order to have the initials after your title. MT ASCP, MLT ASCP for example. The MLT has an associate's degree and the MT has a BS. I would strongly suggest getting the MT (4 year degree).

I really loved working in the lab. It is not 'easy'. The job is stressful, but having never worked as a nurse, I cannot say which is easier. The patient contact would add a lot of stress for me! The lab work is very interesting. But you have to enjoy working with instruments.

Good luck with your decision.:goodvibes

This is good information! I recently retired after many, many years as a medical technologist. First, the education (4-year BS degree) is HEAVY in chemistry, so it helps to be good in that area. Second, some states are stricter in their licensing requirements than others, but pay reflects this. Overall, I was happy in my choice! I did very little work in clinical areas; loved working in research labs!
Good luck in your decision!

I think career as a Medical lab technicians is the best one among all health care careers. This career takes only 2 years of training and also earns a good money. There are many good colleges offering online education in medical lab technician. These colleges provide every study material along with online lectures time to time. The best thing is that these colleges have provisions for scholarships and financial aids also. This almost reduces the cost of studies to a minimum. Following site has all the information about these scholarship programs.
http://medicallabtechnicianschool.org/medical-lab-tech-scholarships/

Scholarships are very important nowadays as the course fees are too high and you need some kind of aid to fulfill this kind of requirement.

As I previously posted, I would not choose MLT but to put in the extra time and get the technologist degree (BS).

Financially a better decision and actual job title of MT gets you much more than MLT work-wise (can do more tests, respected more).

As I previously posted, I would not choose MLT but to put in the extra time and get the technologist degree (BS).

Financially a better decision and actual job title of MT gets you much more than MLT work-wise (can do more tests, respected more).

ITA! MLT's don't make much, and generally do the less-skilled lab duties. From what I have seen, there's a pretty high turnover rate, too.

I would agree with this too. We have some MLTs where I work now, but we prefer to hire MTs. The troubleshooting skills seem to be much better with a four year degree behind them.

Although I enjoy being a nurse I do not think it is a great career choice right now. In some areas new graduates are not being hired, so check your local job market or ask the college what percent of last years class got a job upon graduation. It is very regional, some parts of the country are great while others there is a lot of unempolyed new grads. Hospitals do not want to pay for the amount of training a new graduate requires. There are some new graduate residencies available and theya re great if you can get one. You might want to consider getting a job as a CNA or Nurse aid in the area you think you would like to work in to get a feel for what it is like.

Another RN here..
Job market is *very* tough for new RNs now. A spin around allnurses will tell those stories. OP- If you're positive this is the field you want to go into, I wouldn't discourage you from it, but just go in with realistic expectations & make sure this is what you want to do.
I'd also suggest working as a CNA or Patient Care Tech.. or even perhaps a unit secretary on a hospital floor. CNA or PCT will give you the hands-on care and some skills. Unit secretary position will give you a chance to see some of the inner-workings of the hospital & some insight into what a shift for a RN is like from a different aspect.
Nursing school is tough-- I mean, it's totally worth it if it's what you really want to do, but you don't want to get halfway through and think to yourself "what am I doing here?!?" as a few of my classmates did.

Medical lab assistants assist with laboratory work. I think it's one of the fastest growing occupations. With new medical advances in terms of devices and theories large number of lab assistants to handle the increased workload.
Lab assistants work in a variety of environments. Medical lab assistants work in hospitals, businesses, most types of health care facilities, and public and private laboratories. :happytv:

Can you tell us why you think it is one of the fastest growing occupations?

I have my thoughts, but just wondering what yours are.

I am an Xray Tech, and while I love my job I wouldn't be so quick in referring others to do it right now. The job market is very tough in most areas. I graduated over a year ago and there is still several people I finished with that do not have jobs in the field.

Ultrasound Techs do make very good money but there is a lot to go with it. Most people have the perception that you get to sit and look at babies on the screen all day, but that couldn't be farther from the truth. There is a lot of responsibility that comes along with the position. U/S Techs, in most cases, actually interpret their own images and send a preliminary form with the scans for the doctor to read. Their job market is very slim right now as well.

No matter what you decide to go into, I recommend to everyone to volunteer in many different areas in the hospital. You might find something you really enjoy that never crossed your mind.

Good Luck!

Another RN here..
Job market is *very* tough for new RNs now. A spin around allnurses will tell those stories. OP- If you're positive this is the field you want to go into, I wouldn't discourage you from it, but just go in with realistic expectations & make sure this is what you want to do.
I'd also suggest working as a CNA or Patient Care Tech.. or even perhaps a unit secretary on a hospital floor. CNA or PCT will give you the hands-on care and some skills. Unit secretary position will give you a chance to see some of the inner-workings of the hospital & some insight into what a shift for a RN is like from a different aspect.
Nursing school is tough-- I mean, it's totally worth it if it's what you really want to do, but you don't want to get halfway through and think to yourself "what am I doing here?!?" as a few of my classmates did.

I am currently in Nursing School and I totally agree with what you are saying! Most colleges around me **require** you to be an STNA/CNA before you can apply for nursing school, along with CPR, etc.

Around here an RN with a 4 year degree starts around $50K and will see $100K in about 8 years, a lab tech starts around $25K and might see $35K in 8 years. A lab tech's job is significantly easier though.

I take issue with this statement on two levels. First, I have a 4 year med tech degree, and make more than $35K and I only work half time. Second, I can't imagine what would make anyone think that a lab tech's job is significantly easier than a nurse's. Like many in the health care field, I am now doing a job that used to be handled by 4 or 5 techs. At any given time, I am responsible for all of the testing done in all areas of the lab on as many as 50 or more patients at one time. It's a high stress, high pressure job that requires precision and accuracy, or lives are threatened. Others may have a different experience, but my work in a city hospital stat lab can't in any way be classified as significantly easier than anyone else's. It's not easy, but it is rewarding.

I take issue with this statement on two levels. First, I have a 4 year med tech degree, and make more than $35K and I only work half time. Second, I can't imagine what would make anyone think that a lab tech's job is significantly easier than a nurse's. Like many in the health care field, I am now doing a job that used to be handled by 4 or 5 techs. At any given time, I am responsible for all of the testing done in all areas of the lab on as many as 50 or more patients at one time. It's a high stress, high pressure job that requires precision and accuracy, or lives are threatened. Others may have a different experience, but my work in a city hospital stat lab can't in any way be classified as significantly easier than anyone else's. It's not easy, but it is rewarding.

Well, around here a lab tech is a certificate program that takes about year and would not be considered a med tech job so we aren't even talking about the same job. The lab techs here draw blood and perform some tests but certainly not for 50 people at one time. That is a different level of job. Even for your job, sure you are busy but being busy isn't the same as trying to save someone's life.

:thumbsup2 I am a med tech too and it really bugs me when people think our job is easy. It is a very physically and mentally demanding job.

Well, around here a lab tech is a certificate program that takes about year and would not be considered a med tech job so we aren't even talking about the same job. The lab techs here draw blood and perform some tests but certainly not for 50 people at one time. That is a different level of job. Even for your job, sure you are busy but being busy isn't the same as trying to save someone's life.

Excuse me? I am a med tech student now, and the work med techs do is every bit as lifesaving. Just because it isn't hands-on doesn't mean it isn't vital. When a patient with a GSW is bleeding out in the ER - typing his blood stat is just as crucial to getting him stable as any other intervention.

There are different types of "hard", physically, intellectually and emotionally. Some jobs are physically difficult, brick layer, lumberjack, etc. Those jobs require a lot of physical strength but are not all that intellectually or emotionally challenging. Other jobs are emotionally challenging, astrophysicist, rocket scientist, etc., but are not physically or emotionally challenging. A lab tech may have a intellectually and somewhat of a physically challenging job but you are not emotionally attached to patients like a nurse would be giving day in and day out care. A nurses job is physically, intellectually and emotionally challenging which is what makes their job harder than your job.

My job is none of these, it's very easy, very fun :thumbsup2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter