Anyone in Dallas?

Dsnymouse

DIS Veteran
I know this is completly off the Disney relm.. we just found out we are moving to Dallas. Can anyone give any advise on family communities with newer homes to look at? Also good schools.

Thanks for you help!:grouphug:

Southlake is a GREAT area. It's probably the best community around here and the schools are excellent. Most (if not all) of them are rated Exemplary. It's also just a really pretty area with nice shops and gorgeous architecture all around... even the Wal-Mart is pretty there.:)
There was also just an article in D Magazine (the social magazine of Dallas) about Southlake. It was "Southlake: Welcome to Perfect City U.S.A." You can read it at
dmagazine dot com (sorry, I can't post links yet :confused3 )
This article also talks about Southlake Town Square which is AWESOME and my absolute favorite place in the area to shop. You can see more about it at:
www dot southlaketownsquare dot com
If you need a realtor, I recommend Rhonda Reddic. Her website is www dot RhondaReddic dot com. She's awesome and a good friend of mine!
Good luck! You will love this area!

I saw the other post about Southlake, TX. I agree with the person that replied that Southlake is beautiful and a great community in Texas. My only problem with Southlake is that their average home price is pretty high. If anyone knows, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you're looking at the $400,000's there for a new home.
I live in McKinney, TX which is about 35 miles north of Dallas. McKinney is the county seat for Collin County which has Frisco, Plano, Allen (all names of towns I'm sure you'll quickly become familiar with!) in it. I love McKinney, I am new to TX and have only lived here for 3 years. McKinney is changing before my eyes as far as growth goes. New stores, streets, schools every month. McKinney also has great schools and our homes range anywhere from the $100,000's to +$1,000,0000 and up. McKinney also has a town square that has great character. PM me if you need more info!

Southlake is a great place but it is pricey to live there, houses and taxes. There are areas close by that are really nice too but a little less price wise...Colleyville, Grapevine, HEB, Westlake, Trophy Club. These areas are in between Dallas and Fort Worth. If you're looking at working in Downtown Dallas, then these might work. If you'll be in North Dallas, then McKinney and Frisco are great areas too! Both have great shopping, schools, etc (Love the Ikea!). If you'll be working in the Fort Worth area, then Lake Worth & Aledo have really good areas. HTH!

Karen - Yes, Southlake is out of our price range. What is HEB?
Thank you all for all the great information! :goodvibes

HEB is three towns - Hurst, Euless, & Bedford. They are nice areas, older but all have new constuction going on, especially on the northern side. Don't know too much about the school district, sorry! I think it's rated pretty good.

Where is the job location? That might help indicate where you might want to go. DFW is a large area with lots of nice communities.

Check out Coppell. It feels like a small town, located just north of the airport, easy access to major highways, and has great schools.

There is a range of houses and prices. The newer ones will be larger and more expensive.

I live on the cusp of Lewisville and Coppell and love it.

I second Coppell or Flower Mound. There are a lot of new townhouse constructions going on in southern Lewisville - around Vista Ridge Mall - there are about 3 different townhome divisions going up in a 5 mile area - all say they range in the low 200's.

i'm told that the best district in the area is the Grapevine-Colleyville district and both communities are nice too in their own way particularly Colleyville. There are many good districts though including Frisco (the reason we moved here!), Plano, McKinney, Coppell, Flower Mound and Richardson. The general rule of thumb seems to be that the best areas are north of Dallas but that's not an absolute.

One problem with Frisco is that we're being engulfed by tollroads but some are saying that the legislators are pushing to make more and more established highways into tollroads. If this happens, more and more places could be surrounded by tollroads which is a sore point with me.

I see that you're in Colorado. If you like trees, go for the areas of Grapevine, Colleyville, Flower Mound and thereabouts. McKinney is also nicely wooded in many areas since it's an older town. It has a great courthouse square with plenty of shops and restaurants. If you like soccer and minor league baseball, we have those in Frisco. Expect lots of traffic everywhere! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter