Anyone here drive to WDW with a interior rear lift or crane to carry their scooter or

RaySharpton

Retired and going to Disney.
Anyone here drive to Walt Disney World with a vehicle interior rear lift or crane to carry their scooter or wheelchair?

I tried last year asking on the disABILITIES community forum without many replies, so I thought that I would try again here.

I keep my Pride Revo 3 wheel mobility scooter in my car trunk.

I love using it everywhere at Walt Disney World. I just park my car at my WDW resort, and then just use the Disney bus, boat launch and monorail. I also love using the WDW sidewalks from Epcot to DHS or DTD to SSR or OKW or around FWCG.

When I first bought my mobility scooter, you guys helped me, and I really liked the idea of breaking it down and keeping it in the trunk.

But now times have changed.

I am having great difficulty with balancing my body when lifting the motor in and out of the trunk. Especially at the end of the day. I have been falling down almost everytime when I lose my balance lifting the heavier motor section back in the trunk. So I avoid this situation.

I have searched online for over a year for a vehicle and a inside lift or crane that might work together. I am not used to trying to chose a lift or crane and then trying to find a vehicle that will meet to use the criteria to meet installation. Most people chose a car and then add attachments. But now, I find myself having do the reverse.

I usually would chose a vehicle with a good quality or maintenance record and one that I just liked. This time I would also like to get the best gasoline milage. I was even thinking of getting a green vehicle, but my choices seem very limited.

I know that I should go to a Carmax and look at the different SUV and minivans. And the closest vehicle and mobility installer is a bit to far from home right now. I just haven't gotten to that point yet, but I need, too.

I just want some of your experiences.

When you or your family or your friends that you know drive to Walt Disney World, what kind of vehicle do you use to carry your mobility scooter or electric wheelchair?

I am looking for a rear entry vehicle because of the parking access at home doesn't allow side access easily. The rear access would be a lot easier for me. I like the side entry vehicles, but I can walk and I can drive in the regular driver's seat. The side entry vehicles were very nice if I had to use a wheelchair to drive in and if I had to use a wheelchair to lock it in the driver's position. When I went to the Atlanta Abilities Expo, there were a lot of side entry equipped vehicles, but no rear lifts and no rear cranes at the Expo. Even Pride mobility didn't have anything inside the Expo. They just had a table outside the convention hall with a courtesy scooter.

I also need a new mobility scooter. I have a hard time thinking about getting one of the electric wheelchairs for myself since I can walk short distances with my cane, but I can't walk long distances even a work without having to sit down for short periods.

But at one time I never wanted to drive a scooter either.

I always think of Walt Disney World when I think of my mobility needs.

I like the 3 wheel mobility scooter because of the better turning issues.

I have seen some cool looking lifts that fit inside the rear of a SUV or minivan that electrically extends out of the back and lowers to the ground for the scooter to be loaded on without the driver, of course.

Then the lift rises and retreats back into the SUV or minivan and looks secure.

No lifting or taking apart scooter parts like a heave motor. The lift just does all the work and is safe inside the vehicle without worrying about theft or vandalisn or weather issues.

The other device is a crane the does the same thing, but doesn't do it automatically. The cable from a crane is attached to the scooter and lifts it up and then, I guess I would push it in position in the rear of the vehicle and lower it back down. I guess less moving parts might mean less mechanical issues that could go wrong as with the lift, maybe.

I also need a newer heavy duty mobility scooter to help me get up a steeper hill where I live. I have been looking at the Pride Victory 10.

These are some links of the mobility lifts that I was looking at below. But I am hoping that you could tell me what you use when you go to Walt Disney World.

http://www.bruno.com/vehicle-lift-joey.html

http://www.spinlife.com/files/Pride_Backpacker_plus_brochure.pdf

http://onthegomobilityandmotors.com/Brochure/Joey_VSL-4000_brochure_lo_res.pdf

http://bruno.com/vehicle-lift-curb-sider.html

I would really, really appreciate any help with your experiences, because I am at a loss. I am feeling so frustrated and sad. I have almost given up.

Even if you could lead me in the correct direction for information would be appreciated.

I really can't find any active forums for my particular situation, so I am looking for your help. I call the Pride or Bruno or BraunAbilities and they just send me to a not so local store and they tell me to come on in to there store without any information. I feel like I am talking to a old timey used car salesman.

If this post is inappropriate for this forum, please feel free to delete.

Thank you in advance.

Ray

Right now I have a ramp van but my previous van has the bruno curb-side lift but mounted in the rear. We had it for many years until the van was stolen and destroyed. We lucked into the ramp van and my husband bought that mainly because we did not have to do anything to it. While I prefer the ramp the lift served well and I would get one again.

Right now I have a ramp van but my previous van has the bruno curb-side lift but mounted in the rear. We had it for many years until the van was stolen and destroyed. We lucked into the ramp van and my husband bought that mainly because we did not have to do anything to it. While I prefer the ramp the lift served well and I would get one again.

Thank you for your reply.

How did you like using your bruno curb-side lift?

Did the cable attach to the seating post to lift it up?

Was is ever a problem getting it in and out of our van? I am thinking that space may be limited to depth in a SUV or minivan parking it sideways.

I remember your post from a few years ago. In the mid 2000s I had a Dodge Caravan, and I got a Pride/SilverStar Backpacker lift. Your link goes right to the one I got, only mine is an earlier model. What I like about the Backpacker is you stow the scooter inside the van, away from rain and snow. You have to remove the third row of seats, but you still have the second row of seats for passengers and cargo.

The Dodge 6-cylinder engine is tried and true. It runs and runs and runs. Previous to the Caravan, I had a Plymouth Voyager, which was really the same mini van. Both these vehicles were extremely comfortable to drive, and you didn't get a feeling of driving a large vehicle. It felt more like a sedan, except you were seated higher than a sedan. This I especially liked.

But there came a time that I had balance problems when opening the back liftgate, especially when it was wet. So I replaced the Caravan with a Chrysler Town & Country, gently used, with low miles. This was not an ideal change money-wise, but the T&C offered a power rear liftgate in addition to power sliding side doors. The power rear liftgate has been a lifesaver. Now I don't worry about falling. I haven't looked at vehicles lately, but I would guess that any brand of mini van with a power rear liftgate would do. (BTW, the 2012 Caravan SXT has the 3 power doors.)

The SilverStar Website has a place to look up the vehicles their lifts fit in. I had enough info from the website that I bought the lift online through Spinlife. Spinlife had a live person to answer my questions. The lift was mailed to a local Pride dealer, and arrangements were covered for installing it locally. It looks like and works like the pictures in the Backpacker ad. One piece of trivia for you: When I got my medium-size scooter, I ordered it with a Captain's chair that had a built-in headrest. This headrest made the scooter unable to fold down enough to fit inside the van. I had to send the chair back and get one of regular height. The Backpacker Lift can be removed and reinstalled in another vehicle. I did this when I got my T&C, and the car dealer handled it for me with the Pride dealer.

The Backpacker lift works simply enough. With a hand control, you send the lift to the ground, and you drive on (or walk the scooter on). You fold the tiller down, then fold the seat down, then send the lift into the van. I don't use any tie-downs. You can hard wire the lift to your car power, or run it on battery (furnished). I chose battery. Then, I have a power inverter from Sears ($40) that I plug into the lighter outlet. The inverter is kept in the second row on the floor behind the console. The lift and the scooter are plugged in to the inverter. The other end of the scooter power plug gets plugged into the scooter after I load it into the van. I turn on the car, and from the driver's seat I reach behind the console and turn the inverter on. The inverter has kept the lift and scooter sufficiently charged, but if you have a garage (I don't), you could plug the lift and scooter into house power. I see that the Backpacker Lift in your link has an optional inverter for charging, but I don't see how many things you can plug into it. You have to ask where it would plug into your car. You don't want it going to an outlet in your car that has power running off the battery when your car isn't running.

One last thing about the Backpacker. In rain or snow, the tires of your scooter will be wet, and possibly have road salt on them. In my case this caused some surface rust on the floor of the lift. I sanded and used Rustoleum spray paint to fix that, plus I got a heavy-duty utility rug of approximately the same size as the lift (from Target or Walmart). This has worked well to handle the wet tires, and no further signs of rust. Perhaps newer Backpacker models address the rust issue better. But if not, I have given you a solution. I also keep a little container of WD40. Sometimes the lift and/or the scooter wheels will start to squeak. WD40 cures that.

Good luck to you.

How did you like using your bruno curb-side lift?

Did the cable attach to the seating post to lift it up?

Was is ever a problem getting it in and out of our van? I am thinking that space may be limited to depth in a SUV or minivan parking it sideways.

My curbsider lift was located in the rear of the mini van and I had enough space for 2 scooters. The scooter was fitted with a C type clamp that attached to the center with a cotter pin system.

It did break down a couple of times near the end but lasted a good 7-8 years. I was able to work it myself and I am only 4'8" and weigh about 150.

I am in a simillar situation to yours, but this will be my first mobility device in many years. I currently drive a 2009 Dodge Ram Truck with 20" tires, yes it is up off the ground, really high to climb into even with running boards, and that is the begining of my problems. I too am going to a mobility scooter after 2 years of struggling outside of my home. I am ok in my home. Recently, I was assessed by an Occupational Therapist for mobility issues and this is what she concluded for outside the home.

Trade the truck in and get a Grand Caravan with 17" tires (standard size). This allow me to sit from standing and use a swivel seat cushion to help me rotate into my seat without the strain on my legs or back. Get the power liftgate option, as I have problems with the stregnth in my hands and arms. This means buying a upper model van, but I am looking at the R/T model, which has it as Standard Equipment.

Next she is recomending the Pride Maxima (3 wheel) scooter for me. I am a large person (bariatric), so this scooter will meet my needs for weight capacity and size to fit into the Grand Caravan. The van has a maximum interior width of 48" and the Maxima Scooter is 46.5" long.

Finally, together we decided that the Bruno Joey Platform Lift will meet my needs the best. It allows me to drive the scooter onto the platform, then lift it part way up to attach the securement straps without having to bend over, and load it into the back of the van. We did look at the curb-sider lift, but you have to be able to bend over and attach the scooter to a bar and pin it to secure it. On the days I will be using my scooter the most, I can't bend safely.

It will be about 6 months before I have it all together, but this is the plan. Just one final note, if you ever plan on using your scooter on WDW busses, make sure your scooter is less than 48" long and yes, they use the painted box on the sidewalk to measure it.

Let us know how you make out.

There are smaller scooters which would be easier to handle. Some of these scooters when they break down can fit in the back seat of a car and may be easier to get in and out of a car than using a trunk. These smaller scooters are rated for 250 to 300 pound capacity. Your Pride Revo 3 weighs about 167 pounds and the heaviest piece is 47 pounds. There are smaller scooters that go under 100 pounds and the heaviest piece goes 28 to 35 pounds. You do give up a little comfort and battery power with a smaller scooter.

You could go to a local mobility store and check out these smaller scooters to see how you like it.

This option would sure be cheaper than anything else.

Good luck on your decision.

When I was looking at lifts for our van (we chose an outside lift), the rep suggested either a Grand Caravan or a full size van for a next vehicle for my scooter. I think that if I bought another vehicle, I would buy one with a drive inside ramp off the rear. If you do a search for MobilityWorks.com, they have lots of vehicles of different styles and are familiar with all lifts and ramps and what vehicles work best with each one and might be able to suggest a combination that would work best for you.

I remember your post from a few years ago. In the mid 2000s I had a Dodge Caravan, and I got a Pride/SilverStar Backpacker lift. Your link goes right to the one I got, only mine is an earlier model. What I like about the Backpacker is you stow the scooter inside the van, away from rain and snow. You have to remove the third row of seats, but you still have the second row of seats for passengers and cargo..

Hi, and thank you for your reply. I want to get a device to store my scooter inside, too. That is why I bought my original scooter that could be broken down and placed in my car's trunk to be safe and out of the weather.

I have been looking at the Pride SilverStar Backpacker and the Bruno Joey that appear to be similar devices, but different manufacturers. I don't know which is better.

The third seat thing sure seemed to be simpler when they did not fold down and just slide out with a flat surface.

Did you have fold down third row seats?

The Dodge 6-cylinder engine is tried and true. It runs and runs and runs. Previous to the Caravan, I had a Plymouth Voyager, which was really the same mini van. Both these vehicles were extremely comfortable to drive, and you didn't get a feeling of driving a large vehicle. It felt more like a sedan, except you were seated higher than a sedan. This I especially liked.

Thank you for your review of the Dodge Caravan. I will have to look at this one closer. Was it harder to get into the driver's seat because it was higher?

But there came a time that I had balance problems when opening the back liftgate, especially when it was wet. So I replaced the Caravan with a Chrysler Town & Country, gently used, with low miles. This was not an ideal change money-wise, but the T&C offered a power rear liftgate in addition to power sliding side doors. The power rear liftgate has been a lifesaver. Now I don't worry about falling. I haven't looked at vehicles lately, but I would guess that any brand of mini van with a power rear liftgate would do. (BTW, the 2012 Caravan SXT has the 3 power doors.)

I'm sorry that you had trouble with balancing and lifting the rear minivans liftgate.

Walking and balancing are my issues right now.

I saw the Chrysler Town and Country minivan at the Atlanta Abilities Expo. It used the BraunAbility side entry or side door ramp. BraunAbility was well represented at the Atlanta Abilities Expo, but they seemed to specialize in the side entry ramp feature and do not make a rear lift like the Pride Silver Backpacker or the Braun Joey.

The Chrysler Town and Country was very nice to sit in the driver's seat, but I had a little difficulty getting up into the seat.

The SilverStar Website has a place to look up the vehicles their lifts fit in. I had enough info from the website that I bought the lift online through Spinlife. Spinlife had a live person to answer my questions. The lift was mailed to a local Pride dealer, and arrangements were covered for installing it locally. It looks like and works like the pictures in the Backpacker ad.

I like looking at the Spinlife website, too. I bought new gel batteries for my scooter from them at a reasonable price.

Did your Chrysler Town and Country minvan have third row seats that folded down?

I was wondering if the local installers that you used had to remove the third row folding seats or left them in the floor and build over them to add your Pride SilverStar Backpacker lift?

One piece of trivia for you: When I got my medium-size scooter, I ordered it with a Captain's chair that had a built-in headrest. This headrest made the scooter unable to fold down enough to fit inside the van. I had to send the chair back and get one of regular height. The Backpacker Lift can be removed and reinstalled in another vehicle. I did this when I got my T&C, and the car dealer handled it for me with the Pride dealer.

That is really good information. I was interested in a new scooter with a head rest. Thank you.

I don't mind lowering the scooter tiller or lowering the back rest, but I really do not want to disassemble anything on the scooter like lifting the seat off or anything else. It would just add to my balance issue difficulties in the future.

The Backpacker lift works simply enough. With a hand control, you send the lift to the ground, and you drive on (or walk the scooter on). You fold the seat down, fold the tiller down, then send the lift into the van. I don't use any tie-downs. You can hard wire the lift to your car power, or run it on battery (furnished). I chose battery. Then, I have a power inverter from Sears ($40) that I plug into the lighter outlet. The inverter is kept in the second row on the floor behind the console. The lift and the scooter are plugged in to the inverter. The other end of the scooter power plug gets plugged into the scooter after I load it into the van. I turn on the car, and from the driver's seat I reach behind the console and turn the inverter on. The inverter has kept the lift and scooter sufficiently charged, but if you have a garage (I don't), you could plug the lift and scooter into house power. I see that the Backpacker Lift in your link has an optional inverter for charging, but I don't see how many things you can plug into it. You have to ask where it would plug into your car. You don't want it going to an outlet in your car that has power running off the battery when your car isn't running.

Great information. Thank you. I would like a battery backup, too. I would rather not have to use the manual crank that I saw somewhere to lower the heavy device incase of a power failure from the car battery.

I like the idea of an external battery and recharging it while driving.

I park in an underground parking garage without an electrical outlet nearby.

One last thing about the Backpacker. In rain or snow, the tires of your scooter will be wet, and possibly have road salt on them. In my case this caused some surface rust on the floor of the lift. I sanded and used Rustoleum spray paint to fix that, plus I got a heavy-duty utility rug of approximately the same size as the lift (from Target or Walmart). This has worked well to handle the wet tires, and no further signs of rust. Perhaps newer Backpacker models address the rust issue better. But if not, I have given you a solution. I also keep a little container of WD40. Sometimes the lift and/or the scooter wheels will start to squeak. WD40 cures that.

Thank you again. I may not see much snow in Atlanta, Georgia, but a lot of rain and mud sometimes.

So much good information. I really appreciate that you took the time to explain everything.

This is the first time that I have ever had such great explanations and personal experiences.

Good luck to you.

Thank you very much and good luck to you in the future, too.

Ray

My curbsider lift was located in the rear of the mini van and I had enough space for 2 scooters. The scooter was fitted with a C type clamp that attached to the center with a cotter pin system.

Wow, two scooters. Now that you mention a C type clamp, I think that I remember seeing one of these.

It amazes me that this clamp that I guess fits under the seat post pole doesn't break the seat post from the weight of the rest of the scooter when lifting. I guess the seat post is stronger than I thought.

It did break down a couple of times near the end but lasted a good 7-8 years. I was able to work it myself and I am only 4'8" and weigh about 150.

Thank you for the information.

I am in a simillar situation to yours, but this will be my first mobility device in many years. I currently drive a 2009 Dodge Ram Truck with 20" tires, yes it is up off the ground, really high to climb into even with running boards, and that is the begining of my problems. I too am going to a mobility scooter after 2 years of struggling outside of my home.

Wow, I would really have trouble getting into a pickup truck. This will probably be a big change for you.

Although, at the Atlanta Abilities Expo, I saw a similar pickup truck with a special seat that came all of the way out of the truck and lowered to the ground and raised back up with the rider in it. It also had an outside lift for the wheelchair or scooter for the back of the pickup.

I am ok in my home. Recently, I was assessed by an Occupational Therapist for mobility issues and this is what she concluded for outside the home.

This is good informtion for me. I haven't gotten to the point of seeing an Occupational Therapist. I am really having stress issues at work feeling like I can't help my fellow friends because of walking longer distances.

I might need to have my primary physician to suggest an Occupational Therapist for both work and travelling.

I am okay at home, too, for the most part.

Trade the truck in and get a Grand Caravan with 17" tires (standard size). This allow me to sit from standing and use a swivel seat cushion to help me rotate into my seat without the strain on my legs or back. Get the power liftgate option, as I have problems with the stregnth in my hands and arms. This means buying a upper model van, but I am looking at the R/T model, which has it as Standard Equipment.

You're the second person to mention a Dodge Caravan minivan. I am also looking for a very reliable model that is not repair prone.

And I do not want much difficulty getting in and out of the driver's seat because of the seat possibly being to high for me.

I see everyone with those power liftgates around and about. It seems pretty handy. I think that the liftgate might provide some rain protection while loading, too.

Please let me know how everything goes.

Next she is recomending the Pride Maxima (3 wheel) scooter for me. I am a large person (bariatric), so this scooter will meet my needs for weight capacity and size to fit into the Grand Caravan. The van has a maximum interior width of 48" and the Maxima Scooter is 46.5" long.

I have looked at the Pride Maxima before I bought my present Pride Revo scooter. But I thought that it might be too heavy and too big for my car trunk.

I wish that they would upgrade the Pride Maxima like they did the Pride Victory 10.

I wonder which one is better now?

I was thinking about the Pride Maxima because of the upgrade to the more powerful battery to compliment the motor to get me up the steep hill outside my home.

Finally, together we decided that the Bruno Joey Platform Lift will meet my needs the best. It allows me to drive the scooter onto the platform, then lift it part way up to attach the securement straps without having to bend over, and load it into the back of the van. We did look at the curb-sider lift, but you have to be able to bend over and attach the scooter to a bar and pin it to secure it. On the days I will be using my scooter the most, I can't bend safely.

Thanks for your reply about the crane and the platform lift.

I guess when I was thinking about the crane, I was thinking of less mechanical breaking issues compared to the more complicated platform lift with more moving heavier parts.

I am leaning more and more to the platform lift like you have.

It will be about 6 months before I have it all together, but this is the plan. Just one final note, if you ever plan on using your scooter on WDW busses, make sure your scooter is less than 48" long and yes, they use the painted box on the sidewalk to measure it.

Absolutely will do. This is where I take my main vacations and I love taking the Disney bus, lake taxi, monorail and sidewalks to get everywhere at Disney.

Let us know how you make out.

I will. Thank you for all of your replies and information.

Please let me know how your minivan and scooter plans come along.

I would be interested in how the dealer installs the lift platform and what they do with the third row seats, and anything else that you can think of.

Ray

There are smaller scooters which would be easier to handle. Some of these scooters when they break down can fit in the back seat of a car and may be easier to get in and out of a car than using a trunk. These smaller scooters are rated for 250 to 300 pound capacity. Your Pride Revo 3 weighs about 167 pounds and the heaviest piece is 47 pounds. There are smaller scooters that go under 100 pounds and the heaviest piece goes 28 to 35 pounds. You do give up a little comfort and battery power with a smaller scooter.

Hi, Bete. Thank you for your reply.

I like those smaller scooters, too, like the Pride Go-Go Elite Traveller Plus scooter. It seems to work great like at WDW without extremely steep hills. But it is not strong enough to get me up my steeper hilly street in front of my home. My Pride Revo is not powerful enough either to get up the hill because of the steep angle. I live on a deadend street, too.

If I did not want to use my Pride Revo anymore because of the engine weight, I would definitely like the Pride Go-Go Elite Traveller Plus.

You could go to a local mobility store and check out these smaller scooters to see how you like it.

This option would sure be cheaper than anything else.

I agree that it would be cheaper, too.

I have visitied some of the closer mobility stores around Atlanta and they have very limited scooters and brands of scooters.

I would have to go a lot further out of the Atlanta area to explore the other larger mobility stores. I have tried looking at the mobility stores online websites within one hundred miles. Many of them do not have much of a website set up, especially to look at photos of scooters or their inventory. All of them tell me by phone to come on out. But I just can't get around like I used to do.

Good luck on your decision.

Thank you.

Ray

In 2005 I bought a Toyota Scion XB, removed the rear seats and had a curbsider installed. The Scion holds both my Sundancer scooter and a small power chair together at the same time. The rear hatch door lifts and forms a roof over the loading area which is great in rainy weather. There is a T-bar attached to the seat post on each of the mobility devices that the hook on the curbsider grabs to lift the load into the car. Each mobility device has its own T-bar and the hook just scoops under the T-bar and holds the hanging load. The controls for the lift are on a springy cable attached to the hoist motor. The controls are very easy to operate.

When I was looking at lifts for our van (we chose an outside lift), the rep suggested either a Grand Caravan or a full size van for a next vehicle for my scooter. I think that if I bought another vehicle, I would buy one with a drive inside ramp off the rear. If you do a search for MobilityWorks.com, they have lots of vehicles of different styles and are familiar with all lifts and ramps and what vehicles work best with each one and might be able to suggest a combination that would work best for you.

You are the third person to suggest a Grand Caravan minivan. It is good to know that so many people like the Grand Caravan minivan.

I don't think that I would like a regular, full sized van because it would be too difficult for me to get into and out of the high driver's seat.

I was at the Atlanta Abilities Expo and the Braunability entervan had a drive inside ramp.

They suggested that this would be good for a person to drive in and stay on a scooter and that a lot of taxis use these. They said that if the person had an home healthcare assistant, they could help you and then drive your minivan for you while you stayed in the scooter or wheelchair and then you back out yourself.

I was really interested in this device until I actually tried using one. I liked the rear entry feature and my parking situation. I didn't have enough room for a side entry ramp.

I drove up on the rear of one of the rear entry Grand Caravan minivan, and I liked it until I tried to get off the scooter.

I didn't have enough room to get off of the scooter and stand without a lot of difficulty. The width of the space on either side of the inside of the van was too small compared to the width of the scooter.

The minivan was converted to lower the rear end of the floor.

The floor and rear bumper was cut out to allow a fold down ramp.

The floor and the ramp were the same angle.

The sidewells in the minvan were very high in the rear of the van like a wall almost knee high making it difficult to get off of the scooter and out the rear entry. I could have tried going forward, I could see myself twisting my ankle if I was not careful.

Please let me know if you try driving up on one of these rear entry minivans or full size vans, and what you think about it. I would be interested to hear what you think about getting off of the vehicle after driving it in.

Thank you again.

Ray

In 2005 I bought a Toyota Scion XB, removed the rear seats and had a curbsider installed. The Scion holds both my Sundancer scooter and a small power chair together at the same time. The rear hatch door lifts and forms a roof over the loading area which is great in rainy weather. There is a T-bar attached to the seat post on each of the mobility devices that the hook on the curbsider grabs to lift the load into the car. Each mobility device has its own T-bar and the hook just scoops under the T-bar and holds the hanging load. The controls for the lift are on a springy cable attached to the hoist motor. The controls are very easy to operate.

I have looked online at the Toyata Scion XB and some people talk about removing the rear seats like you said.

There was one Toyata Scion XB with a platform lift like a Pride SilverStar Backpacker or a Bruno Joey. And another company that removed and replaced the side driver's door and passenger door behind it, and removed the seats, and made a one moving part door that raised up to allow a wheelchair driver to drive on and drive themselves.

I thought that this was very unusal to be able to install a crane or platform lifter for what appeared to me to be such a small car.

I often wandered if the rear opening would be large enough for the crane or platform lifter and the scooter itself to fit through the rear liftgate area for total height and width of both.

I sure would like to see a photo of your car with the rear crane and how the scooter and smaller powerchair fit together if you can post a photo sometime.

What year is your Toyata Scion XB?

Is there a particular Sundancer scooter that you own?

Do you drive it to Walt Disney World with all of your luggage okay?

I have so many questions?

Thank you so much for your reply and informtion. It is giving me so many options.

Ray

We carry around my son's chair which is 315 lbs.

Our first van was an 06 Toyota Sienna. The company that sold us the chair recommended the Harmar brand of lifts and not knowing any different options we went with the Harmar AL600.
http://harmar.com/products/11
This is an interior lift and the third row seats get folded into the floor and the lift lays on top. After a couple weeks we also installed air shocks in the rear of the van for added support due to the weight of his chair.
The Harmar never really worked like it should. It is rated to lift 350lbs and his chair was 315. It always struggled and we had to physically help lift the chair with the lift. The motor was repleaced on the lift and the same issue. Harmar said it is what it is due to the weight of his chair and never took responsibility even though its rated for 350lbs.

We just recently purchased a new 2012 Toyota Sienna. This time I swore I wouldn't buy a Harmar again and looked at other options. We looked at Bruno Joey and Pride Backepacker. They both had a three year warranty but the Pride was about $800 cheaper and so I went with Pride. I talked to the dealer about my concerns with the Harmar and did not went to be in the same boat again with a lift that wouldn't fully lift the chair. He made calls to the manufacturer to confirm that it would handle our chair and they assured yes it would. We've had it for almost a month now and it works flawlessly. Again this is installed with the third row seats folded into the floor and the lift is secured to the seat anchors in the floor.

I've looked at the ramp vans and while I would love to have one that option just didn't fall into our budget at this time. Also shop around. The place we had it installed was over $1000 cheaper than the power chair dealer and also a mobility custom shop in Tampa. Ours was purchased and installed from Mobility Express in Florida.
http://mobilityexpress.com/InteriorPlatformLifts~381.htm

Hi, DSquare. I want to thank you so much for your information. A lot of your information is new to me along with the links that you provided.

We carry around my son's chair which is 315 lbs.

I have heard that some of the chairs can be very heavy, but are also very sturdy and well made to carry portable ventilators and for other needs.

Our first van was an 06 Toyota Sienna. The company that sold us the chair recommended the Harmar brand of lifts and not knowing any different options we went with the Harmar AL600.
http://harmar.com/products/11

Thank you for the link. I have heard of Harmar and I have seen cars at Walt Disney World parking lots with outside lifts for scooters that require a trailer hitch to attach it to the car. But this wouldn't work for me. I have also looked at a Harmar crane.

I was able to look at the Toyata Sienna at the Atlanta Abilities Expo, too. It was one of my choices if I got a minivan.

This is an interior lift and the third row seats get folded into the floor and the lift lays on top.

I always wondered about the fold down third row seats. In the older minivans, the third row seats either unhooked or slid out.

But it seems like all of the minivans now use the fold down seats.

You are the first person to mention this to me.

I saw the photos on the mobilityexpress.com website with the platform lifts and they show how they lay on top of the folded seats.

I thought that they may have to remove the fold down third row seats leaving a large open space. I thought that they may have to build a metal platform to help hold the platform lift over the empty space left by the removed third row fold down seats.

After a couple weeks we also installed air shocks in the rear of the van for added support due to the weight of his chair.

I was curious about this, too. I always thought that the rear of the minivan might need extra support.

Did you just use the advice of the installer on what kind of air shocks to install?

I remember a several years ago, I was searching online and saw one car maker offering a special heavier duty radiator and a heavy duty shocks if a mobility device was to be used with their vehicle. I can't find that information anywhere now and I haven't seen that option on any online new cars on recent checks.

I would definitely like to get heavier shocks for the extra weight.

Over the years, my old car is riding lower because of the extra weight in my trunk.

The Harmar never really worked like it should. It is rated to lift 350lbs and his chair was 315. It always struggled and we had to physically help lift the chair with the lift. The motor was repleaced on the lift and the same issue. Harmar said it is what it is due to the weight of his chair and never took responsibility even though its rated for 350lbs.

That is really a shame that they wouldn't back up their product like that. I'm sorry that this happened to you.

We just recently purchased a new 2012 Toyota Sienna.

Congratulations. You must really like the Toyota Sienna. Did you consider the Honda Odyssey or the Chrysler Town and Country or the Dodge Grand minivan?

I hear that the Toyota Sienna has a good repair record.

That would be my concern for my last car that I might own.

This time I swore I wouldn't buy a Harmar again and looked at other options. We looked at Bruno Joey and Pride Backepacker. They both had a three year warranty but the Pride was about $800 cheaper and so I went with Pride.

Good for you. Thank you for telling me about you looking at both the Bruno Joey and Pride Backpacker. I saw that on the website that you gave me.

But do you recall seeing any other differences between the two brands since they both seem to do the same thing?

I talked to the dealer about my concerns with the Harmar and did not went to be in the same boat again with a lift that wouldn't fully lift the chair. He made calls to the manufacturer to confirm that it would handle our chair and they assured yes it would.

I will definitely remember to do this and I appreciate your experience.

We've had it for almost a month now and it works flawlessly. Again this is installed with the third row seats folded into the floor and the lift is secured to the seat anchors in the floor.

That is great that the Pride Backpacker and the Toyota Sienna are both working out great for you and your son.

I've looked at the ramp vans and while I would love to have one that option just didn't fall into our budget at this time.

They seem to be very expensive and can't be moved to another vehicle like you Pride Backpacker.

My understanding is that they actually cut a large section of the rear, center floor out of the minivan, move the muffler and anything that might be under the floor. They also cut out a section for the bumper and create a folding ramp hidden in the bumper. That must cost a lot of money.

Also shop around. The place we had it installed was over $1000 cheaper than the power chair dealer and also a mobility custom shop in Tampa. Ours was purchased and installed from Mobility Express in Florida.
http://mobilityexpress.com/InteriorPlatformLifts~381.htm

I saw on the mobilityexpress.com a lot of photos of the Pride Backpacker and Bruno Joey. Several of the photos showed how the third row fold down seats were actually folded down like you said.

Thank you again.

Have you found any other websites or forums that you or others can talk about similar experiences?

This is the only forum that I have ever received responses.

I have tried the Pride Mobility scooter maker's forum, but hardly anyone posts over there or anywhere.

Almost every one that I have seen uses the side entry ramps in their minivans.

And at the Atlanta Ability Expo the side entry ramp minivans were highly represented, but no cranes or Bueno or Pride Backpacker platform lifts.

The only thing that Pride Mobility had was a table with one guy offering free use of the Pride Victory 10 scooters to use inside the convention. He couldn't tell me anything about the Pride Backpacker. They didn't even have a booth inside.

Thank you again for your reply.

I went with a Bruno lift outside of my vehicle with a cover. It is a fully powered unit that is hard wired to our van. We didn't go with a inside lift because we need the interior space for traveling. We did get a swing away arm also installed to make getting into the rear doors easier. The lift itself is a drive on drive off type and is real easy to use. We just cover it and strap it down, and I bought a bike lock to use when I was going to have to leave it in there. It does work well for us, but I know it isn't for everyone.

I think if I get another vehicle it would be a Ford transit van. I seen one of those set up with a interior lift and a side ramp. They seem to get good gas mileage and a lot of interior space both in front and behind the rear seat.

I went with a Bruno lift outside of my vehicle with a cover. It is a fully powered unit that is hard wired to our van. We didn't go with a inside lift because we need the interior space for traveling. We did get a swing away arm also installed to make getting into the rear doors easier. The lift itself is a drive on drive off type and is real easy to use. We just cover it and strap it down, and I bought a bike lock to use when I was going to have to leave it in there. It does work well for us, but I know it isn't for everyone.

I think if I get another vehicle it would be a Ford transit van. I seen one of those set up with a interior lift and a side ramp. They seem to get good gas mileage and a lot of interior space both in front and behind the rear seat.

Hi, peemag. Thank you for your reply. The most cars at Walt Disney World that I have seen have lifts like you describe.

They have the device hooked up to the rear vehicle where a trailer hitch would go.

I have seen a lot of nice ones like you describe that electronically fold up flat or vertically against the car when not carrying the scooter. And then folds out flat, horizontally, electronically, and lowers to allow the scooter to drive on. Then raises, electronically, to a certain level with the scooter ready for the car to travel.

I like the extra feature that you describe with the accordian type foldout swing away that allows an outside hitch lift that is empty; fold out of the way for easier access to the rear of the vehicle. It looked like it fit into the vehicle's trailer hitch hole, and then the outside hitch platform lift fit onto the swing away. The swing away looked like two rectangular steel bars that were attached end to end that allowed them to fold close to the rear bumper when carring the scooter or when driving without the scooter.

But when you took the scooter off and wanted to access the trunk, you could swing out the lift for easier access to luggage or other things.

Pretty cool extra attachment to add to the outside hitch platform lift.

A long time ago, this was my first choice, too.

But my parking space in my condo deck makes my present car to long with the outside hitch lift, and I am afraid that another car may come around the corner and clip it and damage it.

If I had a better parking spot or a stronger car, I would have gotten one of these a long time ago, but my old 1989 Nissan Maxima does not meet the outside lift hitch requirement.

I thought about the Ford Transit. I see a lot of companies are using them in Atlanta. But it sure looks big wide enough to hold any interior platform lift. They seem to like the height and narrow aspect as they have shelves going up the inside on both walls.

They are too tall to get in the underground parking lot for me.

Out of curiosity. Do you use a full size van or a minivan? And have you had any issues with it rocking back and forth on the highway?

When driving down to Walt Disney World, I have seen a few cars pass me by with their outside lift bouncing up and down and back and forth because of all the weight pushing down on the single hitch of the vehicle.

But it seems like all of the minivans now use the fold down seats.

I believe this to be the case, I have not seen a minivan that the third row seats come out in a long time. Some vans the second row also folds into the floor, this is NOT the case on the Sienna.

I thought that they may have to build a metal platform to help hold the platform lift over the empty space left by the removed third row fold down seats.

The way it was with both Harmar and Pride is when you order the lift you also tell them they type of vehicle it will be installed into. They then ship a specific adapter that attaches to the seat anchors. The lift then attaches to this adapter. No drilling through the floor is needed. On our first install they did drill a small hole to run the power feed to the battery. On our second install they ran the cord through the inside of the van behind the molding and then through the firewall.

Did you just use the advice of the installer on what kind of air shocks to install?

I used air shocks from AirLift. This was from advice on a Toyota Sienna forum that I frequent. Both the 06 and 12 took AirLift1000, this seems to be a size that fits most minivans. There is a configuration tool on their webpage to show what model is needed for each vehicle. We also had an on-board air compressor installed to inflate and deflate as needed.

I remember a several years ago, I was searching online and saw one car maker offering a special heavier duty radiator and a heavy duty shocks if a mobility device was to be used with their vehicle. I can't find that information anywhere now and I haven't seen that option on any online new cars on recent checks.

Speaking on Toyota Sienna's they do offer a towing package from the factory and the only difference is it includes a heavy duty radiator and oil cooler. Our 06 had this option while our 12 does not. Last week we drove from MI down to FL through the mountains where the outside temp gauge was showing above 100 and no issue at all with the minivan's engine temp.

I would definitely like to get heavier shocks for the extra weight.

If you go with air suspension I doubt you need the heavier shocks. Before installing the air suspension in the 06 I searched for better shocks and springs and was told that they had nothing that would help and the air suspension was they way to go.

That is really a shame that they wouldn't back up their product like that. I'm sorry that this happened to you.

Knowing what I know now I should have pursued the issue more, I was naive on lacked the info I know now. Also at that time I was out of warranty (back then standard warranty was 1yr) and just took it for granted it would be something we had to deal with having such a heavy powerchair.

Congratulations. You must really like the Toyota Sienna. Did you consider the Honda Odyssey or the Chrysler Town and Country or the Dodge Grand minivan?

I did not consider a Dodge. I've never cared for the Dodge or Chrysler minivan plus there is no dealer close by. However the Dodge seems to be a popular choice for the conversion companies to make into ramp vans. I looked at Toyota first again and liked what I saw and didn't look at any Hondas.

But do you recall seeing any other differences between the two brands since they both seem to do the same thing?

They both do the same thing. They have the same specs and same warranty. The Bruno I saw in person and it has a Barrier Option. It's a metal bar structure that is suppose to prevent from the chair flying forward in the event of an accident. Mobility Express does not show it on their website but it is an add-on option. I personally think its a good idea in theory but with the size of my sons chair I didn't see how that would help. It would first hit the metal structure holding the lifting cylinder and if that didn't stop it I don't think that barrier would either.

My understanding is that they actually cut a large section of the rear, center floor out of the minivan, move the muffler and anything that might be under the floor. They also cut out a section for the bumper and create a folding ramp hidden in the bumper. That must cost a lot of money.

Yes these are permanent conversions. The floor is lowered or cutout depending on if you go rear or side ramp. Braunability has a section on youtube that shows the difference between their conversion and some of their competitors. An interesting watch to say the least.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7D04BBE97E217A7B&feature=plcp
Also on the conversion vans there is not special financing like you see offered on the new vans. The conversion (depending on what all is done) runs over $20k and the resale value is not good at all. Where as the lift can be removed with no evidence it ever was in.

Have you found any other websites or forums that you or others can talk about similar experiences?

Not really. I did all my own research since there seems to be very very little info I can find from other owners.

Feel free to PM for additional info. I can send pics and video of ours in action too if you like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter