Anyone hear of bedbugs?

LMHB

Mouseketeer
I am not trying to scare anyone! I saw a program on TV last week (20/20, or 48 hrs, one of those type), which discussed the resurgence of bedbugs in American hotels. Apparently, they have been gone for like 100 years or something, and now they are definitely back (and horrible if you come across them!!!) It is still supposed to be rare that they are present in your hotel room, but even the best of hotels can be affected, I remember them featuring some Westin Resorts which had bedbugs. This is much more than just the occaisional cockroach (common in FL) or crickets.

The reporter cited the large volume of international travel as being the reason they have come back...travelling in suitcases or on clothing. We couldn't help but wonder, with all the international activity at WDW, if any hotels had been affected. These bugs are hard to see, they scurry away quickly, but leave small blood marks on walls and sheets. Once they infest, they are apparently very difficult to remove. The guests who had been bitten had horrible lesions on their skin, the whole thing just sounded really awful. We are staying at the Polynesian next month (2 adults, 3 small kids)...am thinking positively that these bugs are not there! :) I doubt this is the case, but has anyone heard of anything at WDW? Thank you.

You can do a search for the thread that discussed this at the time the show was on.

Do a search on this board. There was talk about bedbugs at WDW- but I don't think any of it was firsthand. My mother always called that gossip. :teeth:

In 2002 I brought bedbugs home from a hotel outside of the Mall of America. I was pregnant at the time and brought my body pillow with me for comfort. Big Mistake! We ended up bug bombing our house a couple times etc. Luckily it was kept to the master bedroom. Ever since that experience I take nothing from home like a pillow etc. I also bring my luggage straight to the laundry room when we arrive home and wash everything! No pjs that I wore on the trip etc. EVER enter my bedroom after being in a hotel!

We stayed at the Poly in January and there was no sign of the bedbugs then! We are going back in May so hopefully they aren't there now either! :)

Shelley :wave2:

too and I believe it was Dateline NBC. Many of the hotels they discussed were in NYC. Apparently it's becoming a big problem in the hotel industry.

If you want info on the show you can go to the NBC website and search Dateline. A few days after the show was aired - there was info on the website.

i would guess if the poster that said she brought them home could get rid of them with a bug fogger, disney would probably treat for them along with roaches. i know when my sis. had a time share in hilton head, the place routinely sprayed , every month or so... i would guess disney does the same as i myself have never seen a roach any where on property ( well except one night at mk but that was outside) and don't think that is "magic" :teeth:

Yes I saw this on Dateline. :eek:

And I am scared to stay anywhere without checking for them first. I guess they are mainly a problem in New York City. Florida and Disney were definately not mentioned.

They did tell you how to check for them. And I will be doing my inspection since I HATE bugs with a passion. But I am not too worried. I have faith Disney has the issue under control. I'm sure they are aware of the "bed bugs". :crazy2:

I too am sure Disney has the issue under control. Housekeepers receive "bedbug training" and there are procedures that are followed if anything is spotted. After seeing that show it's scary, but relax and know that Disney is doing all they can to make your vacation magical.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter